• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Value Stamp Books; what are they worth?

26 posts in this topic

As you can tell from my post count, I really don't post much here, as I mainly like to read and learn from what others have to say. However, I find this board by far the best place to go for advice and knowledge in anything comic related. So in advance, I thank you, fellow boardies.

I find that I have an opportunity to purchase a FULL Marvel Value Stamp book from someone. I have recently discovered a huge interest in all things vintage Marvel (the "Marvel Ephemera" thread is great!), so I am kind of learning as I go. Sometimes you just can't check eBay's sold listings, as there is very little, or none at all for what you are looking for. My obvious question then, what are they worth? See the pics (sorry for the poor quality, I did not take them, the seller did). As you can see (hopefully), the exterior is yellowed considerable, but the inside looks great.

What say you?

167625.jpg.73e8f3d497882b492dd92fce2ca94b47.jpg

167626.jpg.e288b9c3f1a2345685c772413bb96680.jpg

167627.jpg.7465a1c0ec422865cc091f50a2012f32.jpg

167628.jpg.28496a903849631f67db8203f71bc8cf.jpg

167629.jpg.8aa38d844953bafa9e2c63e2dc298875.jpg

Prices are kind of all over the place, depends on how they present, how the stamps are affixed, etc etc.

This one looks like it's got staining and foxing on the cover, but the stamps aren't wrinkling or affixed with tape that's browned. So it's got pro's and con's.

Best advice is to look around eBay and try to find one with similar characteristics.

I like that this one has a number. I'm pretty sure there are some without #'s floating around.

First real collection I ever bought had one of these and I was super excited until about 1/2 way home I realized he probably cut the stamps out of the books I just bought. doh!

I like that this one has a number. I'm pretty sure there are some without #'s floating around.

First real collection I ever bought had one of these and I was super excited until about 1/2 way home I realized he probably cut the stamps out of the books I just bought. doh!

:signfunny:

The exterior could be better condition, It is yellowed and has a lot of foxing. The cover should be a bright white.

I do think the interior is nice though as the stamps were mostly all cut with care and attached inside with some precision. There are a few that I wish were handled in the same care but the large percentage of the stamps were all cut well and all secured in the booklet well.

The asking price isn't that bad. The example that Kav posted that sold for over $400 is about where these sell at market wise. They have gone up over the last few years.

It is possible to find a complete booklet for cheaper if you are patient, I bought a complete booklet in June 2016 for $195 USD as an example.

One other comment: the booklet you have been offered isn't necessarily complete. There is a question mark stamp 100, and the promo non number Hulk stamp, and a promo Hulk stamp with a "5" that most Value stamp collectors consider part of the stamp collection. There isn't a place to secure these stamps in the booklet though, and those collectors who value them simply leave them loose inside the booklet. If you decide to buy this booklet, you can always find the 3 missing ones and add them in loose.

Does that mean that 100 silver age comics were missing these stamps because someone cut them out?

Bronze age. And yes.

When I searched for all the stamps for my unfilled booklet collection ( No stamps cut! ) I was amazed how many books I found that were missing the stamps. And equally amazed at how many sellers did not note "missing stamp" on the bag and were trying to sell the books as complete. :frustrated:

Yep, did get lucky on the hulk 181, but 180 & 182 were cut. Apparently Shanna came out earlier in another book?

Yep, did get lucky on the hulk 181, but 180 & 182 were cut. Apparently Shanna came out earlier in another book?

Astonishing Tales 23

Evey now and then I see some of these stamps for sale. It's probably a good thing that they aren't more valuable than they are ... discourages people from cutting them out.

Does this phrase fit in this thread? ...

"I would never do it, but am very happy that others did."

Evey now and then I see some of these stamps for sale. It's probably a good thing that they aren't more valuable than they are ... discourages people from cutting them out.

Does this phrase fit in this thread? ...

"I would never do it, but am very happy that others did."

I have never cut out a marvel value stamp.

(thumbs u

Well many of of us did cut them out because we were just kids and didn't know any better.

I know I did-- even a bunch of series B.

Never even had the books to put them in.

Now I have a pile of these along with some regrets.

Not sure why Marvel felt this was a great idea back then--

maybe it was along the same lines as the Pin Ups--

which I also cut/tore out to pin to my wall.

They were eye candy and who wouldn't be tempted by the "Clip 'em and collect 'em" message?

I tried going back and identify which stamps/pin ups I took out of which books

and have even put them inside the bag on the other side of the backing board.

Thankfully someone put together the list of all the books that had stamps in

them to help us check and see if we have damaged them.

They are both neat in a way but harmful in others. Finding a book with MVS still

intact is sort of a bonus from the ones I purchased off the rack.