• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery 84 CGC 9.2

10 posts in this topic

Looks like this book was graded way back in August of 2000 when CGC first opened their doors.

Since CGC has now changed their definitions for restoration, it looks like this book should now receive a Conserved quasi-blue label if it gets resubmitted for grading. Cleaning, whether by water or solvent (if done properly) is apparently now considered to be Conservation, as opposed to Restoration. :gossip:hm

It's weird to consider a solvent-based cleaning as 'conservation', but there you have it. Should the book be re-graded, it might very well end up with a 9.0 numerical grade, in my amateur opinion.

It's weird to consider a solvent-based cleaning as 'conservation', but there you have it. Should the book be re-graded, it might very well end up with a 9.0 numerical grade, in my amateur opinion.

I remember buying a couple of "cleaned and pressed" books at Cons in the pre-CGC era.

As I recall, the cover was no longer tight to the pages and didn't seem to go with those pages either (too bright, different feel, also pressed in a way that meant it was not flush at the side yet the overhang was too high).

Solvent based cleaning is restoration as it alters the chemical makeup of the cover and/or pages - the book looks good, but is also artificial.

Looks like this book was graded way back in August of 2000 when CGC first opened their doors.

Since CGC has now changed their definitions for restoration, it looks like this book should now receive a Conserved quasi-blue label if it gets resubmitted for grading. Cleaning, whether by water or solvent (if done properly) is apparently now considered to be Conservation, as opposed to Restoration. :gossip:hm

Kind of what I was thinking there. Since the resto is 'only' clean/press, this one might get out of the purple shadow. Not sure if it warrants a 9.2 if regraded tho. Looks like a small tear on lower bottom right corner of bc.

How could they even determine a clean/press (assuming it was dry clean) if was done properly (i.e. not pancaked, etc)?

Well, from the way I read their Restoration Grading Scale, cleaning would be considered to be restoration if there is excessive whiteness, fading, colors washed out, rippling, cockling, etc. as per the following link:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4083&

So, it would appear to be Conservation if it didn't exhibit any of those defects as a result of the cleaning process. If the defects are there, then it would be considered to be Restoration, is the way I read it. (shrug)

How could they even determine a clean/press (assuming it was dry clean) if was done properly (i.e. not pancaked, etc)?

The assumption is incorrect in this case. They note clean/press when it is a chemical cleaning, not dry cleaning.