• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is monstress #1 a good book to pick up?

13 posts in this topic

Is the story good?

YES!!! (thumbs u

Does it have legs to be another "Saga" or what not?

I like it a whole lot more than Saga but that's just one opinion. (shrug)

I agree with picking up the $1.99 Image Firsts edition to see if you'll like it. It's almost 70 pages worth of story so triple issue size. I guess that's also partly to blame why this is hard to get in 9.8 at least for a modern. :D

Edited by aerischan

The art is interesting, the story is a fantasy setting, and while some of it is very traditional, there is a nice twist to the plot that gives it an added bump.

I was a particular fan of the massive first issue, I like the confidence that conveys from the creators, it makes you feel like they really believe in their story.

Issue #1 is $4.99 on Comixology if you're just looking to read it with no hassle and yes it's excellent.

Alternately, $5.99 (just $1 extra) gets you the full volume 1 (issues #1-6) on Amazon Kindle and it transfers over to comiXology if you have your accounts linked.

That said, Monstress #1 is packed with enough content/story that I reckon if you prefer print, the $1.99 Image Firsts reprint is quite sufficient to determine whether you'd want to continue it or not.

Edited by aerischan

As soon as I figure out Silk's staying power I will answer this one.

Me and you both. I like her origin and overall story better than Spider-Gwen but Spider-Gwens suit is very catchy and iconic. I have yet to see tons of Silk cosplayers which is usually a good indication of a characters popularity and staying power.