• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for shipping comics to the UK from the US (and other places)

7 posts in this topic

I am a new collector of comics based in the UK, and find that many of the 'best ones' are located in / for sale from the US. I have bought some privately, and some on eBay. The Global Shipping Programme (GSP) irritates me enormously, as it automatically adds import fees to all purchases, when comics including their (CGC) cases are legally duty free into the UK.

I have researched the subject, and have passed my findings to eBay (who have done nothing with it yet - as at 1 February 2017). I hope US seller and UK buyers might find this helpful to sellers and cost-saving to buyers:

For comics to arrive in the UK tax and duty free, they must first be sold outside of the GSP (which eBay allows so long as the seller agrees). Packages must be marked "Printer matter - comic book/s. Tariff code 4902900000".

For those that like additional reading, this is set out in Notice 701/10, Schedule 8, Group 3 (books including cases).

Regards

Stephen

Shipping outside the US is expensive and I'm getting to the point of not offering it anymore. It becomes a hassle when I get a pm from someone asking "how much to ship to..." and after I take the time to answer their question - they back out (even though I tell them up front its not cheap).

My rant doesn't really help because shipping prices are not going to get lower and maybe someone else will chime in on how they keep the price down - best of luck.

I hear you. So far I have been selling without GSP. The shipping is still a killer. I've noticed people in Canada, Brazil, Australia, etc. will buy the lower grade stuff I have.

I still won't sell to Asia, Eastern Europe, or Africa. Too many horror stories.

Last year I securely shipped two comics from US to UK to a boardie for just under $30 (on ebay I don't ship internationally). Buyer gave me instructions on how to complete the customs slip. It went so smoothly I considered adding UK to places I'll ship on ebay, but then Sterling got hammered and so I canceled my plans.

I am a new collector of comics based in the UK, and find that many of the 'best ones' are located in / for sale from the US. I have bought some privately, and some on eBay. The Global Shipping Programme (GSP) irritates me enormously, as it automatically adds import fees to all purchases, when comics including their (CGC) cases are legally duty free into the UK.

I have researched the subject, and have passed my findings to eBay (who have done nothing with it yet - as at 1 February 2017). I hope US seller and UK buyers might find this helpful to sellers and cost-saving to buyers:

For comics to arrive in the UK tax and duty free, they must first be sold outside of the GSP (which eBay allows so long as the seller agrees). Packages must be marked "Printer matter - comic book/s. Tariff code 4902900000".

For those that like additional reading, this is set out in Notice 701/10, Schedule 8, Group 3 (books including cases).

Regards

Stephen

Welcome to the Boards, I'll link a few threads you might be interested in reviewing.

mad bob gets some money back

Customs charges to the UK? 2012

Another recent thread with a link to my post giving you the search link if you want moar to read

Regards

Stephen

The Global Shipping Programme is Ebay's worst service ever offered. Lucky there are enough sellers still shipping outside of this crapy programme. (A big thank you to those sellers). I avoid buying from sellers using the GSP.

That being said. Another thing that puzzles me is shipping cost overall. I know it is not cheap but the difference is big sometimes. Mostly I can get 4 comics for postage of a little over $20 to Belgium and a little more for a slab.

However, I see people on Ebay ask $60 and more for 1 book. I even seen postage added for $100+ on one book.

It puzzles me that some can ship for a little over $20 while others seemed to need $60 or even more...

Thanks everyone, and especially bababooey for the additional links. Is there no-one big enough on here (i.e.who sells enough) to press eBay to deal with and rectify this? There are certainly enough people apparently unhappy. It could impact all of us at some point, and it MUST be in our mutual interest to correct it.

And if Pitney Bowes are collecting 'tax' but not handing it over to the government as is alleged herein, surely this is a crime. It certainly would be in my country.