• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Common 9.4 Silver vs Uncommon 7.0 Gold

30 posts in this topic

ft88 - you make an excellent point concerning price resistance. There are always going to be price points where some collectors are going to drop out, no matter how good the deal looks - especially if the book is not a major key of it's genre or age. Which is why I find some of the prices realized for ultra-high grade silver and bronze a bit mystifying at times.

Batman 189 and ASM 129 come to mind. There was a thread about how a high grade Batman 189 was selling for more than the Worlds Finest 3 which was the actual first appearance of the Scarecrow. The caveate here is that the WF3 has a crappy cover - but still. For cover afficionados, I'll take the Detective 73 w the Scarecrow any day. One of the most under rated classic covers of the run

Here's the 73, simply a classic.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//763750-scan0022.jpg

And here's the classic over priced book - Batman 189. sleeping.gifsleeping.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32727&item=6530020831&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

IS THERE ANY COMPARISON???? Can anybody even find me a Tec 73 in 7.0?

One thing to remember is that by comparing these books you are assuming that:

1) Everyone knows how common IM #1 is in CGC 9.4

2) Everyone knows that a CGC 7.0 of the All Winners book is still fairly rare.

That is not the case. While many of us wouldn't buy the IM #1 because we do realize that it's common, it only takes one person who doesn't know that to pay full value (meaning whatever it's been selling for).

Plus to the uninformed, IM #1 would have a bigger impact as COLLECTIBLE (they've heard of Iron Man and #1 is the first book right, maybe even the first appearance). All Winners has NO NAME RECOGNITION to the uninformed.

Sweet book! One of the best 'Tec covers of the GA for sure. As for that 9.6

Batman 189 - that seller is dreaming if he thinks anyone is going to pay nearly 4K for that book.

Thinking about GA - SA comparisons - it's crazy that 'Tec 142 (2nd Riddler) guides in 6.0 for less than Batman 171 in 9.0.

Batman 189 - that seller is dreaming if he thinks anyone is going to pay nearly 4K for that book.

Thinking about GA - SA comparisons - it's crazy that 'Tec 142 (2nd Riddler) guides in 6.0 for less than Batman 171 in 9.0.

I agree with you 1000% Give me a clean golden-age book any day. Actually, I recently picked up a CGC 7.0 Batman 13 for $1200. I would never consider spending that kind of money on a Silver age Batman.

I agree with you 1000% Give me a clean golden-age book any day. Actually, I recently picked up a CGC 7.0 Batman 13 for $1200. I would never consider spending that kind of money on a Silver age Batman.

To be honest with you batman_fan, the only reason I spent a lot of money buying SA books two years ago was because I didn't know what I was missing with GA books. I used to assume that GA books only consisted of DC's and Timely's, but once I started noticing the Schomburg, Kamen, Baker, etc. covers I was hooked.

That being said, it doesn't make any sense to me buying an ASM #238 CGC 9.9 for $2,700 (I purchased my nice looking 9.4 copy for $50). How could a book with a couple less stress marks than its counterpart cost over 50X more?!

By the way, nice buy on that Batman book. Did you post it anywhere yet?

Unfortunitely, I haven't scanned it in yet. Here is a picture of me with some of my Batman's. I look dead because it was taken right after my son was born which was right at the same time when I picked up the last Batman I needed to finish the entire run. Now I am upgrading a few issues. I want to have everything 6.0 or higher.

pic1.jpg