• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Packing method? Please offer a tip or two!...

15 posts in this topic

I am about to submit 7 books to CGC. This will be my first time doing so. These books are of very high value to the community and to myself, thus I am very apprehensive on how I should properly pack them. Are there any specific tips that anyone could relay to me? Thanks much in advance, for I know that this isn't the most exciting topic out here. cool.gif

I'd send them in two boxes. Put them inbetween oversized pieces of cardboard, wrap the "sandwich" in a newspaper, fill with styrafoam peanuts and buffer both ends with a strip of bubble wrap.

Brian

either or, if you have some of the thinner cardboard..you can do one per and then tape them all together (so you'd need 4 pieces of cardboard, the inner two could also serve to protect the middle comic). I guess preferably put 3 or 4 between just two pieces of cardboard.

Brian

Chris,

You are such a cynical bastige!!!!!

Yes, Chuck is the leader over at Mile High! He was joking because Chuck is buying keys at less than 1/3 book value (or something like that)!

If you don't mind me asking. What books are you slabbing?

-Jeremy-

Yes I mind, you pile of [!@#%^&^]! I cannot believe you'd have the nerve to ask such a deep and personal question.

mad.gif ...

Heh, that was fun. Sarcasm at it's finest. Umm... I have a nice run of AMS #45-50 (the #47 could fetch a 9.8, depending on some grader's mood that day). The rest should get no lower than 9.4 or 9.2. They were my father's. He never read them, and put them into a small box when he moved out of his parent's house and left them there. I just discovered them. =)

The other book is one of mine. It's just a 'lil modern book. Birds of Prey #8. I will be completely shocked if it doesn't fetch a 9.8. I'm going for top census here. heh

Well if you truly think those ASM's are at least 9.2 or better, the lowest you could send them is through Standard because of the max $$$ stipulation per book at each diff grading tier.

Brian

Brian -

Yes, you are right. There appears to be only one available tier for my situation.

Another question has come up: I can't find good cardboard! It all seems too flimsy. Do you get your cardboard from somewhere/something specific? Shouldn't I want something extremely rigid, like waffleboard or something? I mean, if the board is flimsy, that could lead to slight bends during shipping... and BAM!! Instant small crease on the spine of one of my books.

Am I being paranoid? I'm thinking about sandwhiching between thin, hardcover books! Heh...

I guess if you can't find any..you can take a bunch of those Priority Mailers and then cut out each of the big sides to oversize fit on the book. It's sort of a waste of the mailers, but last resort is a last resort..I think you can find cardboard at a variety of places. Possibly FedEx or UPS as well?

Brian

"Another question has come up: I can't find good cardboard! It all seems too flimsy. "

A good source of cardboard can by your local supermarket. Over the past few years, I've noticed that certain boxes use stronger cardboard (boxes used for detergent, bottled water, etc.). I gather up cardboard on a regular basis and cut it to size to either 9" x 12" or 10" x 13". I buy these sizes of envelopes in bulk and sandwich comic books between these two sizes of cardboard. It offers good protection and is much cheaper than buying boxes.