• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you can buy it for a buck

3 posts in this topic

Got a Dell that looks to be around a 7.0 the on bay for 0.99 cents.  Which got me wondering...

The U.S. dollar saw inflation at an average rate of 3.39% per year between 1948 and 2017. $0.10 in the year 1948 is worth $1.00 in 2017.

http://www.in2013dollars.com/1948-dollars-in-2017?amount=0.10

So I'm payin' newstand prices.  I guess anything GA post war above a buck, and that's collector value above inflation.  Kinda like a paying just for the paint and canvas without the Picasso sig.

Edited by path4play

7 hours ago, path4play said:

Got a Dell that looks to be around a 7.0 the on bay for 0.99 cents.  Which got me wondering...

The U.S. dollar saw inflation at an average rate of 3.39% per year between 1948 and 2017. $0.10 in the year 1948 is worth $1.00 in 2017.

http://www.in2013dollars.com/1948-dollars-in-2017?amount=0.10

So I'm payin' newstand prices.  I guess anything GA post war above a buck, and that's collector value above inflation.  Kinda like a paying just for the paint and canvas without the Picasso sig.

So a new comic is actually priced at four times inflation. Makes the dollar bins today's quarter bins, sort of. 

Though I guess if you factor in the ever-inflating money supply it's all a bargain.

42 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

So a new comic is actually priced at four times inflation. Makes the dollar bins today's quarter bins, sort of. 

Though I guess if you factor in the ever-inflating money supply it's all a bargain.

Actually, if you consider page count and size of page, maybe even more than 4x.

Of course, one may question the accuracy of the "official" inflation figures as well.

1948 salary was $3.600 (enough to support a stay at home mom and family) =  $36,052.73 today

On the other hand,  a Motorola VT-71 television was $189.95 - that converts to $1,902.28