• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Submission Export Procedure Inquiry (for Canadian Residents)

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

It's been years since I've submitted books with my own account. During that time the Canadian temporary exports paper work--and perhaps procedure-- has changed. I used to bring my comics to the customs office so that an employee could witness the items I filled out on the now defunct green forms. This guaranteed that there would be no duties to be paid upon return to me in Canada due to the "temporary export" nature of the items.

I'd like to know what Canadians do to make sure they don't get nailed with a customs fee. Some tell me they ship the books normally and CGC takes care of customs matters upon return to ensure that we don't get nailed for fees we shouldn't have to pay. I'm doubtful that's the case because it sure wasn't the case back in the day. 

Thanks in advance!

Take this information however you want but this is what I was previously doing until I started to get more and more issues:

I would ship the books from Canada to CGC via CPC and keep all receipts and print off a spare invoice copy and showing the received date from CGC.  The books would then be shipped back to me in NY.  I would then drive them over the border (often with no issues showing them all of the above)...however very recently they started telling me that if they wanted to they can charge me for the services provided (which doesn't sound like much) but when I was bringing back 60 books (35*60 = $2100 USD * 1.35 = $2835 CDN * 0.13 = $368 dollars of taxes).

So I've started having them direct ship back to me in Canada via Fedex and only get charged an entrance fee of like $8ish. 

I tried to do all the paperwork by going to the office prior to shipping but they wanted me to pack the books in front of them to show I wasn't swapping stuff out so I'd spend 2hrs in the lobby with everyone floating around and wasn't taking those chances.

22 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

Take this information however you want but this is what I was previously doing until I started to get more and more issues:

I would ship the books from Canada to CGC via CPC and keep all receipts and print off a spare invoice copy and showing the received date from CGC.  The books would then be shipped back to me in NY.  I would then drive them over the border (often with no issues showing them all of the above)...however very recently they started telling me that if they wanted to they can charge me for the services provided (which doesn't sound like much) but when I was bringing back 60 books (35*60 = $2100 USD * 1.35 = $2835 CDN * 0.13 = $368 dollars of taxes).

So I've started having them direct ship back to me in Canada via Fedex and only get charged an entrance fee of like $8ish. 

I tried to do all the paperwork by going to the office prior to shipping but they wanted me to pack the books in front of them to show I wasn't swapping stuff out so I'd spend 2hrs in the lobby with everyone floating around and wasn't taking those chances.

Thanks. "CPC?" Is that our postal service? Regardless, I always let CGC ship via their Fedex system. So, you've never had any issues using Fedex upon return without supplying any export papers?

That's interesting to hear about FedEx clearing it through that easily for you... maybe that's what I'll try as well next time, but aren't you concerned about the $100 insured limit through FedEx? USPS (shipped within the US & then brought across by me) at least has full insurance coverage.

For the proof of origin, the border office just provided their stamp on the original CGC order form (which I also made a copy of), and then I sealed up the box in front of them for shipping (they didn't even ask me to take out the comics which would have been a huge pain).

I'd be interested to here other fellow Canadian's experiences, especially if there's any other's concerned about the $100 limit... maybe it's not a big deal?

22 minutes ago, Jason Epp said:

That's interesting to hear about FedEx clearing it through that easily for you... maybe that's what I'll try as well next time, but aren't you concerned about the $100 insured limit through FedEx? USPS (shipped within the US & then brought across by me) at least has full insurance coverage.

For the proof of origin, the border office just provided their stamp on the original CGC order form (which I also made a copy of), and then I sealed up the box in front of them for shipping (they didn't even ask me to take out the comics which would have been a huge pain).

I'd be interested to here other fellow Canadian's experiences, especially if there's any other's concerned about the $100 limit... maybe it's not a big deal?

I've always been concerned about the $100 limit too, but no one seems to have had issues with it as far as I know. I might be sending a $7K book to get graded, so I want to make sure I'm covered in the event of a 'problem.'

CPC = Canada Post Corporation

When I brought them boxed up they made me open the box and go through each and every book one by one and check them off the list.  It was a huge pain in the nuts.

For insurance I'm rolling the dice and know that full well however since private insurance is nearly impossible in Canada without paying through the nose for collectibles.  It doesn't take long to burn through replacement costs via shipping insurance.  Not to mention good luck getting a claim through the postal services for collectibles lol CGC only ships back to Canada via FEDEx so not much you can really do there.