• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE COMICBOOK OR THE ARTWORK

24 posts in this topic

what is more gratifying for you to own?

the high grade comicbook or its original art,if given a choice?

marvel 1 or the cover art to marvel 1 [if it exsisited]

motion pictures funnies weekly 1 or the original cover artwork? [which does exsist]

planet 1 or its original artwork?[which does exsist]

im interested in your perspectives on this...i know the easy answer is [depends on what you collect] but there are people who collect both,so if the opportunity presented itself and your funds were limited to one or the other,what would your rational be for the purchase?

It depends on the book...

marvel 1 or the cover art to marvel 1 [if it exsisited]

I'd rather have the book on this one. The art would probably be worth more and would be incredible to have on the wall, but to actually hold the Marvel 1 would mean more I think.

motion pictures funnies weekly 1 or the original cover artwork? [which does exsist]

Probably the art on this one.

planet 1 or its original artwork?[which does exsist]

Art work on this one. Planet 1 can be found from time to time so it will turn up again. The art though... well... it would be a highlight to have a piece from a collection as incredible as Jon's!!

Like I said at the top, it depends on the comic. Some books are extremely difficult to find so you may not see another one in the same grade or see it at a time that you have the money for it. Original Art, on the other hand, may never be seen again in your life time. You have to decide if you can live with a lower grade of book. If you can then get the art. If you must have that grade in book then your decision gets difficult.

Just my 13 cents.

if it exsisted,do you think the cover art to action 1 would be preferible to owning the church copy of action 1?

Thats a silly question.

The art will win out 9 times out of ten.

But there is no way I would rather have the cover to Motion Picture Funnies than

the actual book. The value in that book lies in the introduction of the Sub-mariner.

The cover not only has nothing to do with that, it's pretty darn boring to boot.

well recently anyway,the comicbook is comming out ahead of the artwork...

the marvel 1 page 12 art came in at a low 75 k ,while the pay copy of marvel 1 came in at 350k....i dont think page art or splash page art can come in over the comicbook{IN HIGH GRADE]...im talkin golden age....for the art to overtake the book itself in high grade,its going to have to be COVER ART only to do that...

well recently anyway,the comicbook is comming out ahead of the artwork...

the marvel 1 page 12 art came in at a low 75 k ,while the pay copy of marvel 1 came in at 350k....i dont think page art or splash page art can come in over the comicbook{IN HIGH GRADE]...im talkin golden age....for the art to overtake the book itself in high grade,its going to have to be COVER ART only to do that...

I agree with you,...it will need to be Cover Art !

However, one day soon I believe OA is going to leave comics in the dust. That just my honest opinion.

However, one day soon I believe OA is going to leave comics in the dust. That just my honest opinion.

Could you say it one more time? I don't think we heard you the first 1,000 times.

The value of any piece of OA is in no small way a reflection of of the value of the book it comes from - and while there are many pieces, especially covers, where the appreciation for the artistry is enough to propel the value far beyond that of even the highest grade copy of the book it was drawn for -

most if not all OA is of little interest to those who have never collected comics.

While there may be room for further upward movement on the value of OA, it is no coincidence that the huge leap in its value over the last few years parallels the astronomical gains in ultra HG comics. Independent of context OA has marginal value - and ultimately a far more limited pool of potential buyers than pen and ink work by established "fine" artists. What is the value of a Frazetta drawing never intended for commercial use as compared to a Buck Rogers cover done for Famous Funnies?

Ultimately, without a continued increase in the value of the comics that OA was designed for there are unlikely to be greater gains in the value of OA itself.

Interesting points.

However, "While there may be room for further upward movement on the value of OA, it is no coincidence that the huge leap in its value over the last few years parallels the astronomical gains in ultra HG comics" I do not see the correlation between High-Grade appreciation and the rise in comic art...I really do not.

Interesting points.

However, "While there may be room for further upward movement on the value of OA, it is no coincidence that the huge leap in its value over the last few years parallels the astronomical gains in ultra HG comics" I do not see the correlation between High-Grade appreciation and the rise in comic art...I really do not.

Well, beyond the probability that more than a few collectors have sold off HG books in order to finance original art aquisitions, the fact that many ultra-HG Gold and Silver comics sell routinely for 5 and 6 figures creates an environment where spending similar amounts for OA from the same era doesn't seem as risky as it might if those same comics were still worth only a tenth of what they are now.