• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winnipeg collection?

33 posts in this topic

I have had several items from this pedigree turn up over here in ENGLAND, can anyone give me more information on the pedigree or where I can find something out? I know that they all high grade and what the certificate says, but there's not much on it??

Quoted from Showcase New Englands Winter Catalog 1997:

`Introducing the Winnipeg Collection, an original owner collection that surfaced in Winnipeg, Canada. This collection consists of a complete run of Marvel comics and a near complete run of DC comics (from 1960 on) purchased by original owners Dennis Kjolso and Joseph Krolic. The collection runs through 1996. The collection was sold in its entirety to Showcase New England in December of 1996.

The books in the collection itself are characterized by incredible white paper and bright colors. Many of the books in the collection are near perfect including many of the early numbers. Some of the earlier books can be further identified by a light pen name on the cover. Most of the covers are stunning in appearance. Collectively, it is the most significant run of Silver Age books to appear in the 1990's. Among the most notable books in the collection are exceptionally high grade copies of AF # 15, ASM # 1, X-Men # 1, TOS # 39, DD # 1, Avengers # 1, and TTA # 27.'

Among the most notable books in the collection are exceptionally high grade copies of AF # 15, ASM # 1, X-Men # 1, TOS # 39, DD # 1, Avengers # 1, and TTA # 27.'

Do you thinkg these copies will ever come up for sale, or does anyone know of these key issues being sold? Or do you have one!!!?

Think the Winnipeg ASM 1 was cgc around 8.5. Believe All Star Auctions sold it last year. Think the X-men 1 was around cgc 8.0 or 8.5. Have heard that the raw Wpg AF 15 & Show 34 Atom was stunning. Krolik used to have 3 hi-grade AF 15.

Original Overstreet 100 point grade and prices:

AF # 15 NM91 $30,000

ASM # 1 NM90 $18,000

AVENGERS # 1 VF+88 $2,000, # 4 NM93 $2,000

B&B # 28 F/VF $2,000, # 34 NM92 $2,000

DD # 1 NM93 $3,000

FF # 1 F- $3,000, # 3 VF75 $900

GL # 1 VF $1,500

HULK # 1-6 NOT AVAIL (SOLD?)

JIM # 83 NOT AVAIL

JLA # 1 F+ $1,300

SGT. FURY # 13 NM92 $350

SHOWCASE # 34 F/VF $600

STRANGE TALES # 101 VF/NM89 $700, # 110 NM91 $1,500, # 115 NM92 $450, ANN # 2 NM92 $1,000

TOS # 39 NM92 $5,000, # 49 NOT AVAIL

TTA # 27 VF83 $2,500, # 35 NM92 $ 1,400

TOD # 1NM/M99 $125, # 10 NM/M99 $33

X-MEN # 1 VF++89 $7,000

Nope, don't have any of these gems.

Did buy Special Marvel Edition # 15 & 16 NM/M99 $50 & $30, but sold it straight away. Books were structurally CGC 9.4 - 9.6, however, severely miscut.

Also think Odin's grades are pretty accurate as the majority of these books were overgraded IMO.

THAT'S not an overgrade, come on, give people a break. Even CGC doesn't grade that well to always be on the mark without a minimum of 1/4 grade error. Overstreet gave his copy of Spidey #1 a NM 95, but CGC gave it a 9.0...these are small differences lacking a comprehensive grading standard for the comics industry.

1/4 grade? wouldn't a NM90 be a NM- 9.2?, and wouldn't a NM95 be NM+ 9.6? so if a NM90 got graded a VF+ 8.5 by CGC, that's two notches of grades the book was dropped....sounds overgraded to me. you also have to ask yourself this question, who sold off the collection again? wink.gif

IMO, from what I've seen, the Winnipeg books are of lesser quality and grade, at least as far as Pedigrees go. Same with Ohio and the infamous grease pencil markings.

Also, they tend to surface for sale a lot more often, which suggests that there aren't as many hoarders as there are with Pacific Coast, Western PA and White Mountain. But that's just my observation.

When were those prices made? Some of them look lke quite good buys! So I guess my X-Men 14 CGC 9.0 Winnipeg is not that good then, after looking at those fine books!

Catalog printed Jan 9, 1997, so prices weren't that brilliant at the time and market was at all time low during that period.

X-MEN # 14 94NM $300.

I recall a large ad Krolik placed in Jon Warren's Comic Source mag b4 the collection was named Winnipeg collection. Think there were 2 sharp copies of Show 34. I know the Canadian collector who cherrypicked the Show 34 nm & the better copy of AF 15. The latter was promptly resold to a collector/investor in CA.

Greetings!

I am a casual passer-by and enjoy reading posts in this forum from time to time.

However, I could not pass up the chance to respond to this thread about

the Winnipeg collection.

Back in 1994, I would fax out my want list of pre-hero Marvel Monster comics to any

dealer that had a fax number. I happened to see an ad for Joe Krolik's COMICS AMERICA

in an issue of the adzine COMICS SOURCE.

To my suprise, he faxed me back an amazing list of pre-hero Marvels and 50's DC scifi.

all in very high grade. I still have that fax! After a 3 hour phone conversation with Joe

(where we went over the condition of each book), I agreed to take most of his high-grade pre-hero

Marvels off his hands. (the only one I turned down was the TTA 27, which I thought was

too pricey).

A few months later, ads for this collection started to appear. Im not sure when the

"Winnipeg" tag was stuck on to it. Maybe after it was solf to Showcase New England?

That was my "once in a lifetime" deal. Thanks again Joe, wherever you are!

AWESOME MAN , AWESOME STORY!!!!!!!

WOW, WHAT A FIND!! whats your name and do you have any other awesome comic collecting tales liek this one??

i love the winnipeg pedigree, some collectors diss it because of the writing on the cover but i feel this adds to the legend!

dan g did overgrade ( by todays cgc standards) some of the books but they are beautifully preservd books

i have the jim 109 cgc 9.0 and it is beautiful!!