• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I hate winning bidders that messages you right after the listing ends that they cannot pay
1 1

77 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kav said:

Hello i am so excited I won the auction for your AF15 6.0!  However, i don't really want it I was just seeing if I could win it!  Please cancel it ok I'm too busy to do a buyer cancellation and I'm sure it will be no trouble for you!!!

at 5k I don't know why you would cancel.

On 2/15/2017 at 6:00 AM, AndyFish said:

eBay has been losing sellers ever since they switched away from the ability to actually strike back at insufficiently_thoughtful_persons like this.  The inability to leave negative feedback for a buyer is insane.  If they put that option back in you'd have a lot fewer buyers acting like 4 year olds.

Not only is it a pain for you to have to go through and list it again, now prospective buyers are going to assume there was something wrong with the book.  My advice is to relist immediately and make a note that you are doing so because you had a buyer who could not pay-- and ask that new bidders do so only if they can follow through with the binding bid.

More over,  go through channels with eBay in cancelling the sale because the buyer can't pay, they will put a strike against him so that if he does make this a habit he will get bounced.  And definitely block him.

Sorry for this trouble, 90% of eBay buyers are good people.

This has been debated a lot.  Allowing sellers to leave negs merely means buyers can no longer neg because if they do-they get a retaliatory neg.  That system just doesn't work.  Also it would accomplish nothing.  If had had 100 negs as a buyer it would not impact my ability to snipe whatever i wanted.

I was on eBay back when you could leave negative feedback for buyers and it was better.  This idea that sellers won't leave negative feedback out of fear of retaliation is ridiculous.  It wasn't a problem then and it wouldn't be a problem now.  HONEST sellers and buyers are the norm, but this would weed out the trolls on there. 

I'm not talking about sniping, there's nothing wrong with sniping and anyone who objects to it doesn't understand the auction process.  But what it does do is eliminate these who bid, win, and then just decide to walk away.  A strike against them is something, but honestly it should be a LOT more severe.  A winning bid is a binding contract just like it says plain and simple when you place a bid,  if someone can't pay they shouldn't bid, and if they don't pay for a SINGLE auction win they should be banned for 30 days.  2nd offense lifetime ban.

On 2/16/2017 at 6:07 PM, Comicdave1962 said:

What i hate is when you put a comic up for auction and it gets bid up pretty good and the hi bidder has really good feedback and then at the last second of the auction some low or zero feedback guy comes in and outbids the other guy. And what happens probably 90% of the time when this occurs is you never hear from the hi bidder. So you have to wait 7 days before you can make a non-bidder claim. But by this time even if you offer it to the runner up, they usually aren't interested anymore or think you had a shill try to bid them up and pass on the book. Then when you go and relist it, the book ends up selling for a lot less than what the under bidder would have paid for it. 

When this happens you just want to reach through your computer and strangle the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who didn't pay originally for costing you a chunk of money.

That's exactly right- it not only hurts the seller because now they have to relist it, it also puts a black mark in the eyes of the other bidders.  I can't tell you how many times I've relisted something and then get an email asking what happened to the previous sale.  Great if someone takes the trouble to reach out, but how many people even bother to do that and just assume it's somehow the fault of the seller?   I bet it's more than you think.

A tip as a seller is I put instant payment by Paypal. In other words they have to buy it now with Paypal immediately or they don``'t win the item.

Pros

• You are guaranteed your money and don`t have to keep e-mailing deadbeats or hear excuses for late or no payments.
  • You don`t have to wait around 5 to 7 days to see what your final sale will be when the auction ends.

So you save time and stress with instant payment by Paypal.

Also check both Ebay and Paypal faqs for more information about this subject.

On 2/16/2017 at 7:37 PM, Gaard said:

People buy empty boxes?!

Yup! I've been selling on eBay for 20 years, and I am no longer surprised by the weird stuff that sells. 

And this just happened to me yesterday! Auction ends successfully, an hour later the buyer messages me to say "I made a mistake about your ad, can you cancel the transaction?" :mad:

On 2/19/2017 at 1:22 PM, AndyFish said:

I was on eBay back when you could leave negative feedback for buyers and it was better.  This idea that sellers won't leave negative feedback out of fear of retaliation is ridiculous.  It wasn't a problem then and it wouldn't be a problem now.  HONEST sellers and buyers are the norm, but this would weed out the trolls on there. 

I'm not talking about sniping, there's nothing wrong with sniping and anyone who objects to it doesn't understand the auction process.  But what it does do is eliminate these who bid, win, and then just decide to walk away.  A strike against them is something, but honestly it should be a LOT more severe.  A winning bid is a binding contract just like it says plain and simple when you place a bid,  if someone can't pay they shouldn't bid, and if they don't pay for a SINGLE auction win they should be banned for 30 days.  2nd offense lifetime ban.

It was a problem then and that's exactly why ebay changed it.  As a buyer back then every neg i left i got one back.

I've called eBay customer service and had negative feedback removed as a seller ( and back in the day ) as a buyer. It can be a pain, but it can get done.

To the OP, at least he was courteous enough to tell you he wasn't paying for it ;) I've had people just go silent on me after winning, more of an annoyance than anything.

16 minutes ago, Jking3437 said:

My favorite is, I left eBay open on my computer / phone / tablet and my kids bought your item, please cancel 

I've had that...actually within the last month someone's "son" bought something and he asked me to cancel it xD

I wanted to update everybody on this situation.   A week went by and the buyer actually paid for this item. I thought to myself maybe just maybe he decided to honor his bid and move on.  I of course had reservation about this but in good faith decided to pack it up and ship it to him. Boy was I wrong...

He opened a return request today stating the CGC case was cracked on the side. This is impossible since I packed it with (2) large bubble envelopes with extensive large bubble wrap cushioning inside a box filled with foam peanuts.  The buyer simply had buyers remorse but did not want an unpaid strike to his account.  I called eBay to see what are my options and they pretty much told to go F yourself and accept the return. If I had escalated the case I would not only lose the case but I would not rec my final value fees. Ooh and I also had to send him a return label on my dime...

Needless to say you should block eBay member sunbae75  who name is Jason Kim from Leonia, NJ from bidding on your items.

On 2/20/2017 at 7:58 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

A tip as a seller is I put instant payment by Paypal. In other words they have to buy it now with Paypal immediately or they don``'t win the item.

Pros

• You are guaranteed your money and don`t have to keep e-mailing deadbeats or hear excuses for late or no payments.
  • You don`t have to wait around 5 to 7 days to see what your final sale will be when the auction ends.

So you save time and stress with instant payment by Paypal.

Also check both Ebay and Paypal faqs for more information about this subject.

Except instant payment required doesn't allow for auctions or combined shipping.

14 hours ago, darkstar said:

Except instant payment required doesn't allow for auctions or combined shipping.

That is the pros and cons about it. With a bin you get your money quick and don't have to worry about if they pay. I am also looking at it from a seller's perspective.  As a buyer I would look for auctions because those usually end up cheaper than bins and offer like you say have combined shipping to save on buying more comics.

A seller though demanding instant paypal payment seems the safest bet.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

5 hours ago, darkstar said:

It complicates things, which is never good, but you can work out the policy of refunding the double-dip on ship charges, or changing a BIN to BIN/BO and accepting an offer from multiple-buyer that reduces cost of second item by ship charges. 

To combine auctions is a bit trickier, usually I'll just offer free ship for auction winners that also buy a BIN listing (shows a dedication that I'm willing to eat a few bucks for, and generally leads to higher auction totals if they try), and work it out with the invoice, or the part-refund approach.   I dislike the added complexity, but like the immediate payment approach to BIN.

The real problem that can't be easily 'fixed' is that to maintain "top rated" discounts on FVFs the clock starts ticking on the ship-time once they use the BIN, which means they can't wait a few days for auction or you fail the "upload ship tracking" metric (think it's 90% on time) and risk losing the discount.

Edited by grebal

I am going through a non-paying winner right now. It has been almost a week since the auction ended on a $140 slab and I have messaged him several times with no response. He is an active seller currently on eBay so it vexes me a little that he didn't know what he was doing or didn't want the item. It was a best offer situation so I don't understand what is going on.  I guess I'll have to wait another week before filing a non-paying bidder claim. This will be my first issue with a sale in 10 years of eBay selling. 

1 hour ago, grebal said:

It complicates things, which is never good, but you can work out the policy of refunding the double-dip on ship charges, or changing a BIN to BIN/BO and accepting an offer from multiple-buyer that reduces cost of second item by ship charges. 

To combine auctions is a bit trickier, usually I'll just offer free ship for auction winners that also buy a BIN listing (shows a dedication that I'm willing to eat a few bucks for, and generally leads to higher auction totals if they try), and work it out with the invoice, or the part-refund approach.   I dislike the added complexity, but like the immediate payment approach to BIN.

The real problem that can't be easily 'fixed' is that to maintain "top rated" discounts on FVFs the clock starts ticking on the ship-time once they use the BIN, which means they can't wait a few days for auction or you fail the "upload ship tracking" metric (think it's 90% on time) and risk losing the discount.

You still eat the final value fees on shipping when you refund a buyer for combined shipping. 

1 hour ago, Spidey 62 said:

I am going through a non-paying winner right now. It has been almost a week since the auction ended on a $140 slab and I have messaged him several times with no response. He is an active seller currently on eBay so it vexes me a little that he didn't know what he was doing or didn't want the item. It was a best offer situation so I don't understand what is going on.  I guess I'll have to wait another week before filing a non-paying bidder claim. This will be my first issue with a sale in 10 years of eBay selling. 

Why wait? You can open an unpaid item case 2 days after the item sells. You can then close the case and get your fees back 4 days after opening it.