• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you ship graded CGC books and keep cost down for buyers?
2 2

47 posts in this topic

Many sellers send them media mail. 

Even though it is against the postal code, and they will likely burn in Hell in the afterlife. :devil:

so - do NOT skimp on the packaging - one cracked slab can cost you more than a box of bubble-wrap.....

flat rate will always be expensive -

you can order boxes online from USPS for free - they have a large one that is similar in size to the medium box - "1095"

get a postal scale to confirm - but you can ship a slab for the priority 2lb rate for ~ $7....

add in another $2-3 for packaging ( cardboard chippers, bubble wrap)

For the other shipping items ( like bubble wrap) ---- buy in bulk to keep costs down

A 2 lb Priority box shipped in a local zone is going to cost $7.20; coast to coast will run $12.75. Once you’re over 1 lb ($8.35) you’re at $12.75. 

As mentioned, the 1095 box is the one you want. They are free but you can only order them online. The post office does not carry them, and the folks at the counter may not even know what you are talking about if you ask for one. Some people double box slabs with a 1092 inside a 1095. Don’t use a 1092 by itself; there’s not enough extra room inside to pad and protect the slab.

Rich is right, if you break two pounds you may as well go flat-rate price wise.  Some times a single slab package can break that barrier, depending on packing.  I really hate trying to measure how much packing I can use by weight.   It tends to push you to bad decisions.

And I also say the medium flat rate boxes are too short.  I have had bad luck with them, and my attempts to fold the end flaps to make a little more room in the box has met with finger wagging by the USPS employees.  For the record, bad luck to me is one incident in 1000 tries, so others use them all the time with no problem.  Yet.

The 1092+1095 is the only way I roll.... Except... if I need to ship 4-6 slabs out of zone, I use the "Board Game Large Flat Rate Box".  I have a supply of these since I though the USPS would stop making them.  The are sized for a board game, so there is plenty of room.  I originally thought they were too long and would get mangled in the system, but I've found they are such an odd shape they get handled specially and are very safe.

Hope that helps.

On 2/15/2017 at 11:16 AM, CKB said:

The 1092+1095 is the only way I roll....

Same way I do also...usually 1 slab with packing via this method is just under 2 lbs...I charge $9.99 (though some of my listings say $12,I'll change'em sooner or later!) Sometimes if it's staying close to me in Virginia it's only $6-7 cost...if it goes to California or in that area out west it's right at $9 for 2 lbs.

I invested in slab-perfect sized boxes from ULINE.com. Cost me about $0.50/box, but it's worth it and saves me a lot of headaches. I typically ship standard with tracking on the boards. E-bay is straight USPS 2-3 day Priority. I don't ship international any more. I've had one too many issues to make that worth it for me. Sure, cuts my market down by a nominal %, but it's not worth the risk/headache for me.

On 2/18/2017 at 4:51 AM, comickings17 said:

Same way I do also...usually 1 slab with packing via this method is just under 2 lbs...I charge $9.99 (though some of my listings say $12,I'll change'em sooner or later!) Sometimes if it's staying close to me in Virginia it's only $6-7 cost...if it goes to California or in that area out west it's right at $9 for 2 lbs.

Is the insurance, sig-conf, etc. all the same costs for Priority vs Priority FR too?

I've been doing the FR Medium box and with padding and extra protection at the edges, and it does cause a slight bulge on one end of the Medium FR box. I've only done maybe a dozen or less slabs sent that way and so I guess I've been lucky. But I'll try the double box 1092/1095 and see how much that weighs and costs on my next slab.

Literally had a buyer tell me that it should not cost more than $6 since I should put a slab in a flat rate priority bubble mailer and send it off.

smh

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 0:30 AM, AGGIEZ said:

I invested in slab-perfect sized boxes from ULINE.com. Cost me about $0.50/box, but it's worth it and saves me a lot of headaches. I typically ship standard with tracking on the boards. E-bay is straight USPS 2-3 day Priority. I don't ship international any more. I've had one too many issues to make that worth it for me. Sure, cuts my market down by a nominal %, but it's not worth the risk/headache for me.

I also use ULINE boxes most of the time. You can adjust your shipping cost in eBay with "Calculated Shipping", enter the box dimensions and then round up for weight to the next highest pound (usually 2 lbs for 1 slab). Now your shipping costs will be lower for customers in your region than if you had used a flat rate box. This may help drive business for your slabs. Since I'm in Florida, my calculated shipping costs are significantly lower for anyone in the southeast. This gives me an advantage if priced the same as another seller who uses flat rate boxes.

1 hour ago, FN-2199 said:

I also use ULINE boxes most of the time. You can adjust your shipping cost in eBay with "Calculated Shipping", enter the box dimensions and then round up for weight to the next highest pound (usually 2 lbs for 1 slab). Now your shipping costs will be lower for customers in your region than if you had used a flat rate box. This may help drive business for your slabs. Since I'm in Florida, my calculated shipping costs are significantly lower for anyone in the southeast. This gives me an advantage if priced the same as another seller who uses flat rate boxes.

I like it! I'll have to figure that out for my listings.

I buy these @86 cents each shipped for free to store. 

http://www.staples.com/16-L-x-12-W-x-4-H-Staples-Corrugated-Shipping-Boxes/product_426309

Fill it with packing paper, first the bottom, then the top, and it's under 2 pounds and mail it priority. I use the "calculated shipping to location" on ebay so I don't get burned on shipping if I have to ship to CA or TX.