• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed

6 posts in this topic

This is the original, 19 x 12 inch black & white cover proof to the published artwork for the "Return Of Superman" TPB by Dan Jurgens.

This TPB reprinted the "Reign Of The Supermen !" storyline and has a great cover image, better than any of the comic covers from the run, showing all of the "Supermen". Has "USE THIS AS BLACK PLATE" written at the top in marker.

$395 shipped.

Return%20Of%20Superman%20TPB%20B_zpslnqn

Forgive my ignorance- can you give a bit more detail on what you mean by "cover proof?"  My understanding was that these are essentially a test print run of the cover that's untrimmed that is used by the publisher to check everything looks the way it should prior to printing all the books.  Given the size and lack of color, this obviously isn't that, so trying to understand what it is and where it fits in the production process.

Thanks!

This is the proof of the original cover art that was then used as the basis for the acetate overlay (the black plate) on the cover color bluelines.

In graphic novels and other deluxe formats the color bluelines are where the colors are hand-painted onto a blueline image of the artwork (the equivalent of the color guide in comics).

I've already sold the color blueline but here it was alongside this proof.

The buyer did a fantastic job framing it and sent me a picture.

58a612fc2e36a_ReturnOfSupermanTPB.thumb.JPG.b83cb8958fafe3d6c5a66520889a5cb3.JPG58a612f6a2e6a_ReturnOfSupermanTPBF.thumb.jpg.4cc775fa5aa6d02583fab54a6ac3dd76.jpg 

Edited by r100comics