• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OWL card

71 posts in this topic

Anyone know where I can get or print out an OWL card? I don't understand why there isn't one in the Overstreet Grading Guide...

You can order one from Overstreet. It's all a marketing ploy.

Anyone know where I can get or print out an OWL card? I don't understand why there isn't one in the Overstreet Grading Guide...

WTF. A guide every year, a grading guide, and now the card is separate? You would think with the 11 billion ads they have in their publications they could afford to put the OWL levels in somewhere without trying to milk us for more money. 893censored-thumb.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

I've seen scans of them here before, someone will post one before ling. If not then I'll scan one tonight when I get home.

I've seen scans of them here before, someone will post one before ling. If not then I'll scan one tonight when I get home.

I would appreciate it, thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Ace's OWL card!

805290-OWLCard.jpg

It's from the old grading guide and has the 100 point system on the back.

Seen it share of use... smirk.gif

805290-OWLCard.jpg.8310d73bedf163a517c931d7ba367293.jpg

WTF. A guide every year, a grading guide, and now the card is separate? You would think with the 11 billion ads they have in their publications they could afford to put the OWL levels in somewhere without trying to milk us for more money. 893censored-thumb.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

The OWL card is obsolete. OWL levels are no longer part of (current) OS grading guide nomenclature.

The OWL card is obsolete. OWL levels are no longer part of (current) OS grading guide nomenclature.

They are referenced, by OWL number, in every grade in my guide (second edition). confused-smiley-013.gif If they are obsolete, does anyone have examples of the current page whiteness designations?

They are referenced, by OWL number, in every grade in my guide (second edition). confused-smiley-013.gif If they are obsolete, does anyone have examples of the current page whiteness designations?

Which grading guide do you have? What's the copyright date?

OGG 2nd edition 2003.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=glance&s=books

OGG 2nd edition 2003.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=glance&s=books

No kidding? I don't remember seeing OWL numbers in the book at all and I've read the thing cover to cover so many times it's falling apart. I must be losing my mind. foreheadslap.gif

I will post a pic in a few minutes...the OWL deisgnation on each book is right below the "Hidden Defects" heading.

Well I'll be damned. I never paid attention to that. I always just read the descriptions written in the grading sections that spoke in terms of "white" and "off-white" and "cream" and so on. I wonder why OS kept the OWL numbers and dropped the OWL card? I believe that Overstreet even said somewhere (maybe even somewhere in the OGG) that the OWL card is now obsolete. I'll have to look when I get home.

Anyway, thanks for setting me straight on that Andy. flowerred.gif

Surely to god, you guys don't think a scanned OWL card is accurate, do you?

I can't believe what I'm seeing in this thread. screwy.gif

I was thinking just the same, but it should be ok to use once printed out! grin.gifscrewy.gif

I was thinking just the same, but it should be ok to use once printed out! grin.gifscrewy.gif

893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gifscrewy.gif

True, there are color variations among monitors so what I'm seeing isn't necessarily what anyone else is seeing.

But not all comic book paper starts out at the same color even in the same era, so there's really no one OWL card that will work for all comics anyway. That's been Steve Borock's biggest complaint about the OWL card every time I've seen or heard him mention it.