• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OWL card

71 posts in this topic

Darn hunt-n-peck typing method! frustrated.gif

Me too...but I have gotten insanly good at it. I don't use the home row, but I can still type without looking at the keyboard. My hands just kind of float above it. My own semi-retarded method of typing. insane.gif

It's funny how all my friends made fun of me for taking Typing 1 and 2 when I was in high school 20 years ago.

The same guys that peck out words while I smoke by them at roughly 90 wpm.

acclaim.gif27_laughing.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

The concept was a nice one, but flawed. There was no way to guarantee consistent colors even across a single print run, and even then - as has already been stated here - there are so many different "white" starting points, and even comics with yellow, pink and other starting shades, that a universal card meter, while a cute idea, is ultimately useless.

I talked to Gary Carter about this the moment I saw the OWL card from the first Grading Guide (and I got it the week it came out.)

WHY you folks went to 4-color for this I will never understand. You could have started with a paper stock that approximated the White you sought left it un printed for the White. Then OWL 8, 5, 1 and Zero could have been 4 PMS inks that approximated the colors you desired. No need to fancy it up with black ink. Just print the text you want using the OWL Zero ink and it would be very readable. Heck, use OWL Zero to form a border to separate the white from the text above and use it for the text below. No need for fancy schmancy colors.

And if you used PMS inks the color for every piece would be spot on identical to every other one. I really can;t believe no one thought of this.

Scott, this excerpt directly from the Grading Guide pretty much says it:

Please note, however, that the OWL card - while still available and used by many comic book enthusiiasts - is no longer strictly up to date with the current grading standards and 10 point system utilized in this second edition of the Grading Guide.

And if you used PMS inks the color for every piece would be spot on identical to every other one. I really can;t believe no one thought of this.

I suggested the same thing. hi.gif

It still would not be perfect. But it would be a hell of a lot more accurate. thumbsup2.gif

It still would not be perfect. But it would be a hell of a lot more accurate. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Dice. I was HOPING you would see this. Yes, it would not be perfect but it WOULD be more accurate and equally important, consistent!

I confess I momentarily freaked out when I saw the OWL off-white. It is ridiculous. Their "off-white" is a darkness I tend to reject for not having good page quality. It is certainly nothing remotely akin to off-white.

dagnabbit!

Thanks Dice. I was HOPING you would see this. Yes, it would not be perfect but it WOULD be more accurate and equally important, consistent!

I confess I momentarily freaked out when I saw the OWL off-white. It is ridiculous. Their "off-white" is a darkness I tend to reject for not having good page quality. It is certainly nothing remotely akin to off-white.

dagnabbit!

Chill out grampa!

Don't forget POV, the colors represented on the Owl card are noted as reprensting the "lowest whiteness level in each OWL range."

Don't forget POV, the colors represented on the Owl card are noted as reprensting the "lowest whiteness level in each OWL range."

That is fine but I saw no "whiteness" at all in the Off-White.

dagnabbit!

Chill out grampa!

Thank you, Greggy, for helping me control my blood pressure. Now be honest. Would you grade any pages in your BA Horror collection that looked like OWL Off-White as being Off-White?

dagnabbit!

Chill out grampa!

Thank you, Greggy, for helping me control my blood pressure. Now be honest. Would you grade any pages in your BA Horror collection that looked like OWL Off-White as being Off-White?

Nope...knew the card was a joke the first time I saw it in 1992. Back when I was just a wee pup!

Anyway, thanks for setting me straight on that Andy. flowerred.gif

No problemo, Scott, you '. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, screw you Scott! Sanctimonious tool! 27_laughing.gif

Jeez Tim, take it easy! laugh.gif

Surely to god, you guys don't think a scanned OWL card is accurate, do you?

I can't believe what I'm seeing in this thread. screwy.gif

I was thinking just the same, but it should be ok to use once printed out! grin.gifscrewy.gif

893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gifscrewy.gif

It will take me about two seconds to see if it is accurate or not as scanned. I can compare it to books that I have that have white pages, off-white, ect and if the colors match, the card is good. Besides, it not a [#@$%!!!] thermometer or some delicate scientific instrument. It's meant as a guide, nothing more. screwy.gif You guys are so nit-picky, this isn't NASA. makepoint.gif

It's not nit-picky. There is no way in hell you can scan an OWL card and print it on a printer and be *remotely* close. Have you learned nothing from reading the boards?

I suggest taking Arnold up on his post and buying one from Gemstone for a buck.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Are you kidding? What makes an OWL card so amazingly special that its colors can't be reproduced on a scan and print? I agree it won't be totally accurate, but not even "remotely" close? screwy.gif Besides, as was said before, paper stock is so vaired among different ages, companies and runs that it is not that great of a guide to begin with.

In any case, if I want one I will order one. So lets not get into another inane flame war over another trivial topic......unless you want to? poke2.gifgrin.gif

Nothing makes it special OF, it's just that your monitor or printer won't even come close to reproducing the tints of white to brown of the OWL card. That in itself defeats the purpose to use it as a guide. flowerred.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

pee.jpg

Surely to god, you guys don't think a scanned OWL card is accurate, do you?

I can't believe what I'm seeing in this thread. screwy.gif

I was thinking just the same, but it should be ok to use once printed out! grin.gifscrewy.gif

893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gifscrewy.gif

It will take me about two seconds to see if it is accurate or not as scanned. I can compare it to books that I have that have white pages, off-white, ect and if the colors match, the card is good. Besides, it not a [#@$%!!!] thermometer or some delicate scientific instrument. It's meant as a guide, nothing more. screwy.gif You guys are so nit-picky, this isn't NASA. makepoint.gif

It's not nit-picky. There is no way in hell you can scan an OWL card and print it on a printer and be *remotely* close. Have you learned nothing from reading the boards?

I suggest taking Arnold up on his post and buying one from Gemstone for a buck.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Are you kidding? What makes an OWL card so amazingly special that its colors can't be reproduced on a scan and print? I agree it won't be totally accurate, but not even "remotely" close? screwy.gif Besides, as was said before, paper stock is so vaired among different ages, companies and runs that it is not that great of a guide to begin with.

In any case, if I want one I will order one. So lets not get into another inane flame war over another trivial topic......unless you want to? poke2.gifgrin.gif

Nothing makes it special OF, it's just that your monitor or printer won't even come close to reproducing the tints of white to brown of the OWL card. That in itself defeats the purpose to use it as a guide. flowerred.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

pee.jpg

Pantone 122 = Urine insane.gif

Oh and technically you are still violating Gemstone copyright by posting the old OWL card here and we would appreciate you not doing that. smile.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

yay.gifheadbang.gif Arnold Blumberg, you're my hero! headbang.gifyay.gif

Darn hunt-n-peck typing method! frustrated.gif

Me too...but I have gotten insanly good at it. I don't use the home row, but I can still type without looking at the keyboard. My hands just kind of float above it. My own semi-retarded method of typing. insane.gif

I type the same way. Something like 70 words a minute! acclaim.gif