• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? : The 13 Essential Collector Tools of the 21st century

53 posts in this topic

Well, I include a lot of 1st appearances, 1st issues, etc. And yes I do include copper books as well, such as my new Star Wars #1, Spectacular Spidey #1, and a bunch of lower valued 1st's like Carnage, Bishop, etc. That's just what I like.

Star Wars 1 is from 1977 and unquestionably a bronze age book. Not sure about the others, but they seem like minor keys at best. Someone should put together a list, I have been wanting to pick up some important moderns myself lately. Sounds like you got a great deal on the USM 1 and others....

Thanks, I was happy with the purchase. Often times I get most of my modern back issues from the LCS for no more than cover price. I guess that's a plus to being in a small town.

::COUGHMILEHIGHCOMICS.COMCOUGH:: headbang.gif

I view MileHighComics as a last resort. If I really want a CA/MA comic(s) that don't show up on eBay very often, then I'll go there because they probably have it.

On the otherhand, just because they have it listed on their website doesn't mean they actually have any in stock. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I can't believe that anybody hasn't mentioned STORAGE SPACE. Ya got to have some place for all those comics. Sure ya can say boxes or shelves. But ya still got to have the storage space for those.

And make sure its water proof, humidy, light, bug free place.

I can't believe that anybody hasn't mentioned STORAGE SPACE. Ya got to have some place for all those comics. Sure ya can say boxes or shelves. But ya still got to have the storage space for those.

And make sure its water proof, humidy, light, bug free place.

Or rather than being obsessive/compulsive (stooges.gif), you can do like me and just have the boxes sit on the floor in your home office/comic book room. Not worried about bugs, boxes keep the light out, humidity isn't an issue unless you store books out in a shed and it rains 3 times per day, and if my apartment ever floods ... then I'll have a problem and lose a lot of my books possibly, but if that were to ever happen around here, there'd likely be a tornado involved in which keeping my comics in a water proof place would be irrelevant. 27_laughing.gif

Oww, my head hurts now. foreheadslap.gif

What are the modern keys you are talking about? Even if you include copper I can't think of very many....

1. ASM 300

2. ASM 238

3. ASM 252

4. Wolverine Mini 1

5. Sandman 1

6. Preacher 1

7. X-Men 266

8. TMNT 1

9. Albedo 2

10. USM 1

11. Next Men 21

...a couple of these (like ASM 252 and Preacher 1) are a definite stretch for key status.

Interested to know what others you might consider keys. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What about Swamp Thing #'s 20, 21, 37?

Miracleman 15?

You guys always forget the best books! wink.gif

What are the modern keys you are talking about? Even if you include copper I can't think of very many....

1. ASM 300

2. ASM 238

3. ASM 252

4. Wolverine Mini 1

5. Sandman 1

6. Preacher 1

7. X-Men 266

8. TMNT 1

9. Albedo 2

10. USM 1

11. Next Men 21

...a couple of these (like ASM 252 and Preacher 1) are a definite stretch for key status.

Interested to know what others you might consider keys. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What about Swamp Thing #'s 20, 21, 37?

Miracleman 15?

You guys always forget the best books! wink.gif

Good call on the Miracleman, I might add MM 1 as well. I thought about the Swamp Thing books and I might throw 21 in there as the new origin, first vertigo-type book as well. I guess 37 would make the cut, Constantine is a pretty big character. Not sure why I didn't include those in the first place.

I was also debating on what to do about DKR and Watchmen. Are all 4 and 10 issues keys? Just the first issues? None? Those series are way too important to not have some sort of key status.

Good call on the Miracleman, I might add MM 1 as well. I thought about the Swamp Thing books and I might throw 21 in there as the new origin, first vertigo-type book as well. I guess 37 would make the cut, Constantine is a pretty big character. Not sure why I didn't include those in the first place.

I was also debating on what to do about DKR and Watchmen. Are all 4 and 10 issues keys? Just the first issues? None? Those series are way too important to not have some sort of key status.

Problem w/ calling MM#1 a "key" is that it (and the first 5-6 issues of the series) are reprinted from "Warrior" Magazine (one of the best comic magazines ever!!! cloud9.gif).

With Swamp Thing, I really wouldn't have a problem knocking #20 off the list (despite it being the first Moore), but #21 & #37 belong on the list, IMO.

I thought about DKR and Watchmen and would think that you could put DKR #1 on the list. I think the problem you run into with either of these titles is that they've been reprinted to death. But, I guess "scarcity" doesn't have to be a requirement for a key. confused-smiley-013.gif

Problem w/ calling MM#1 a "key" is that it (and the first 5-6 issues of the series) are reprinted from "Warrior" Magazine (one of the best comic magazines ever!!! cloud9.gif).

With Swamp Thing, I really wouldn't have a problem knocking #20 off the list (despite it being the first Moore), but #21 & #37 belong on the list, IMO.

I thought about DKR and Watchmen and would think that you could put DKR #1 on the list. I think the problem you run into with either of these titles is that they've been reprinted to death. But, I guess "scarcity" doesn't have to be a requirement for a key. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, I agree that Swamp Thing 21 and 37 belong on there. Ok, I have a dark secret I am about to confess. Go easy on me. I have not read Miracleman. Has it been reprinted? I remember looking for TPBs and they were going for crazy money.

Ok, I have a dark secret I am about to confess. Go easy on me. I have not read Miracleman. Has it been reprinted? I remember looking for TPBs and they were going for crazy money.

Nope. Not since the "crazy $$$" trades you speak of. I was lucky enough to have my LCS guy loan me the entire series to read before I ever bought an issue.

Rumor has it that it may be reprinted soon (ie. late this year, early next), but I have not been able to confirm. Should probably ask Kevin Boyd. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think that Gaiman and Marvel have been working on hammering out the details so that Gaiman can finish his storyline (the "Silver Age"). The last issue was one of the biggest cliffhanger endings ever!!!! I cannot imagine reading the series as it came out and having to wait this long for the conclusion.

The series can actually be had for very cheap. #15 and, probably, #23 & #24 would be the only books that could present a problem. Excluding the variants, #15 is the only "expensive" book in the run. #23 was the hardest for me to track down. The first 10 issues can be found at shows for $5 each. The last Moore arc (#'s 11-16) are a little more expensive $10-15 each (although #15 will cost you more than that). Well worth it, as it is probably the finest arc ever. I actually bought most of my run from Black Cat Comics (a forumite, but he doesn't post often).

I highly recommend getting this series. It is absolutely fantastic. Although it has ruined many a book for me afterward (like Supreme Power - would've been really good if Moore hadn't done it first. Even has scenes copied straight outta MM mad.gif).

I guess what I'm trying to say is Alan Moore Rules! headbang.gifgrin.gif

Well, I loved Watchmen and V for Vendetta so I have been meaning to give MM a try. I will add them to my list. thumbsup2.gif

As much as it hurts to say it (because I love them both), Miracleman was better than Watchmen and V. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Well, I loved Watchmen and V for Vendetta so I have been meaning to give MM a try. I will add them to my list. thumbsup2.gif

As much as it hurts to say it (because I love them both), Miracleman was better than Watchmen and V. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

HEY, waitaminute... I LOVE MM, I really do, but Watchmen is a more complete book.

Moore goes off on some tangents in MM and then decides to wrap up things very quickly that he perhaps should have explored a bit more. The series doesn't really flow all that well for the Warrior reprints to the new stuff. I like both ends, the Warrior stuff and the later stuff, but they don't quite fit well together, imo. Plus the all the different artists makes reading the series all together a bit disjointed.

Watchmen is a completely realized whole from the first panel to the last. Some may quibble about the ending (and I know I have), but it is amazing how much is there and how well it is all intergrated together. Someone like Neil Gaiman writes lots of really good bits and pieces. Lines of dialogue that stick with you, or an amazing scene here or there, but rarely does it really all tie together in a satisifying package. Watchmen is full of those really good bits and pieces AND ties together.