• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Find the Variants for 2016 Black Mask Studios "BLACK" by Osajyefo Igle Randolph

2 posts in this topic

I am having a very difficult time finding all (attempting to be an obsessed completest) of the variants for the politically charged and topically relevant series "Black"

I know the series debuted with heat and high anticipation and since has cooled down quite dramatically, and since it's a 5 issue mini/limited series as opposed to one with ongoing commitments, it may die on the vine and dwindle into obscurity.

However, I still want to collect the title.

I found it has among the worst choices of title names to the degree that if you go to eBay and try to find the book and type in "Black" you get thousands of titles in the comic category, and if you add "Black Mask" it still goes down to over 1,000, and if you add in any other information like the names of the artists or writer, or the year of release 2016, but a lot of eBay sellers don't have any standardization, so you risk missing out on a lot of items if you get too specific.

What's the best way to search for the title?

Also, I'm getting all of mine CGC slabbed for display, and noticed that CGC indexes many of the #1 issues variants with "Variant Cover (letter)" so I have a few questions for my "CHECKLIST":

Cover A = Is this just the traditional "hands up" regular issue, I am assuming (CGC did not cite that on the label) ???

Cover B = Ashley Wood "Harriette Tubman" Cover (1:5 retail short print)

Cover C = ??? I have no idea if this exists or what is assigned to this ???

Cover D = ??? I have no idea if this exists or what is assigned to this ???

Cover E = Tim Smith 3 "Jetpack / Forbidden Planet" Exclusive

Cover F =Tim Smith 3 "Cape & Cowl" Exclusive

Cover G = ??? I have no idea if this exists or what is assigned to this ???

Cover H = Half Black/Half White with Red Logo "Comics Heating Up (CHU)"

Cover I = Black Cover "Ssaefish Comics" Exclusive

Cover J = ??? I have no idea if this exists or what is assigned to this ???

Cover K = Tim Smith 3 (I think this was a New York Comic Con exclusive, but am not sure)

Cover L-Z = ??? I have no idea if the sequential letter numbering stopped at "K" or there's more  ???

Then there's variants without a "Letter Assignment"

New York Comic Con - Red Cover with Black Logo

New York Comic Con - Blank White Sketch Cover - limited to 200 produced

Baltimore Comic Con - Black Cover with individual numbering to #99 at the bottom right corner

Fried Pie Exclusive - Tim Smith 3 Cover

Fried Pie Exclusive "Virgin" No Title Logo" Limited to 50 produced

2nd Print Version of #1 Issue

...any other retailer or convention exclusives known?

Was there any special releases distributed to "Kickstarter" fund donors?

As for the other non-#1 issues:

#2 Issue - Only 1 version

#3 Issue - 2 versions "Negro" and "N!gger" Uncensored

#4 Issue - Only 1 version

#5 Issue ??? not out yet, I believe it's the final issue, so not sure if there's going to be any variants

If there's anyone who can enlighten me on the different versions I'm missing and how to find 'em I'd appreciate it.

THANKS!

Edited by aka Rick1
Typo fix