• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real or fake signatures, looking for an opinion.

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm hoping some of the signature world might be able to help out with this. I'm looking for a second opinion on some signatures from a Green Label. The book comes with a COA stating all were signed at C2E2 2014, but JSC definitely was not at C2E2, he was at the Calgary Expo at that same time. I don't believe the seller of the book is trying to scam me, nor do I really think the supposed COA issuer is fake. (At least their Ebay is old and established.) Doesn't mean someone photoshopped a COA though. Anyway, here's the book. It's signed by Nei Ruffino, JSC, and Stan Lee. Nei and Stan were both at C2E2. The JSC looks like it was signed last and scrunched perhaps?

mumbys1.jpg

mumbys3.jpg

mumbys4.jpg

mumbys2.jpg

6 hours ago, kav said:

It doesn't really matter if they are real or not.  An unwitnessed sig is 'name written on cover'.  A COA is generally a bad sign.

I'll agree, most COA's are worth not only less than the paper they're printed on, and comes with the same stigma that a villainous criminal telling you "Don't worry, trust me." when it comes to COA's not from authorized sellers (like when Michael Golden or J. Scott Campbell issue them, themselves) or licensed dealers in the business of selling autographs.

I recently had PSA authenticate what I thought was a legitimate Evander Holyfield autographed 8" x 10" and I'd purchased it almost 20 years ago at a what seemed to be legitimate sports auction that came with a COA, and it got the "FAKE" judgement, so I've shyed away from being enamored by autographs that I don't get in-person myself.

2 minutes ago, aka Rick1 said:

I'll agree, most COA's are worth not only less than the paper they're printed on, and comes with the same stigma that a villainous criminal telling you "Don't worry, trust me." when it comes to COA's not from authorized sellers (like when Michael Golden or J. Scott Campbell issue them, themselves) or licensed dealers in the business of selling autographs.

I recently had PSA authenticate what I thought was a legitimate Evander Holyfield autographed 8" x 10" and I'd purchased it almost 20 years ago at a what seemed to be legitimate sports auction that came with a COA, and it got the "FAKE" judgement, so I've shyed away from being enamored by autographs that I don't get in-person myself.

I read one article said FBI estimates 80% of sports memorabilia fake.  Another one said there really is no accurate authentication agency-that they don't exist.