• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

International deals - best practices?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

What is the safest way to accept payment from an overseas buyer? Is PayPal a bad idea due to some kind of chargeback scam?

Also, was there ever a consensus reached on safest shipping method overseas? FedEx won't cover art? USPS Intl Priority? (I have a Collector's Insurance policy, if that factors in.)

Thanks for any insight. I am sure this has been covered, but policies change frequently.

I live in the UK.  For high-end sales I ask for an International Wire Transfer.  For lower-end transactions I'd only accept a Paypal payment if I know the buyer (or know he or she has a good reputation in the OA community).

1 hour ago, wurstisart said:

Overseas is where for you !

Apologies... very U.S.-centric thinking on my part.  I am in the continental U.S.

(I just noticed the new boards don't show my location. I know not everyone entered one on their profile, but it was sometimes helpful in this regard.)

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

I live in the UK.  For high-end sales I ask for an International Wire Transfer.  For lower-end transactions I'd only accept a Paypal payment if I know the buyer (or know he or she has a good reputation in the OA community).

What are the fees typically like for an IWT? And are they buyer-side only?

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, BCarter27 said:

Apologies... very U.S.-centric thinking on my part.  I am in the continental U.S.

(I just noticed the new boards don't show my location. I know not everyone entered one on their profile, but it was sometimes helpful in this regard.)

What are the fees typically like for an IWT? And are they buyer-side only?

I imagine fees for an IWT vary from bank to bank (and as I don't keep records of past transactions, I can't help you on that one, sorry).  Your best option is to consult your own bank directly for further advice.

Fees are also involved in overseas transactions with Paypal.

Your opening question was about the safest way to accept an overseas payment, not which method was the most cost-effective! :wink:

16 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

I usually tend to send FedEx priority.

meaning as fast as possible.

insurance ? Doubt you can easily insure through the express service such as FedEx.

Insurance is a sea of red tape, so good luck with that one!  Personally, I always opt for a Global Express-type delivery with a three-day delivery window that is fully-trackable and requires a signature from the recipient.

1 hour ago, eewwnuk said:

take paypal as gift to avoid the chargeback issues.   also whichever shipping option does full tracking even if the price of shipping is higher.

I thought about this, but PayPal is really cracking down now and will hit you with a $2500 fine. IWT seems like the safer way to go and the buyer can pay any fees.

I'm not worried about the cost of shipping or tracking. I am more concerned with filing a claim if there is an actual loss. Has anyone gone through this?