• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should Con dealers beat/match online prices?
3 3

149 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, the blob said:

Obviously your method pays the bills just fine, but aren't you tying up a lot of capital this way or do you feel these are bluechips where time is your friend?  

luckily, I don't rely on comic sales (either store or convention) for an "income"... I truthfully rather just buy comics than sell them...but, by selling them profitably, allows me to buy more!

But yes, I tie up 7 figures of capital in books, but I'm fine with that...if I don't sell them, technically they are "mine" lol

6 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

luckily, I don't rely on comic sales (either store or convention) for an "income"... I truthfully rather just buy comics than sell them...but, by selling them profitably, allows me to buy more!

But yes, I tie up 7 figures of capital in books, but I'm fine with that...if I don't sell them, technically they are "mine" lol

7 figures in books - where is the head spinning emoji!

41 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

It's not uncommon to have 7 figures (or close to it) tied up in inventory if you're traveling as an international dealer to big shows.

That's what it takes to be in the big times.

26 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

It's not uncommon to have 7 figures (or close to it) tied up in inventory if you're traveling as an international dealer to big shows.

That's what it takes to be in the big times.

if you don't have the inventory, you can't do the sales!

Edited by G.A.tor

It depends largely on the book in question. Some key book, I don't have a problem pricing it slightly above Ebay market for I feel the ability to have the book in hand far outweighs the Ebay gamble. On the other hand I know I have a lot of bargains in boxes of books that I have seen sell for say $15.00 PLUS shipping on Ebay that I have priced for $5.00. Or are you saying I should reprice that book to $15?

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=180716

See my latest pages  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/167387-original-art-and-recreations/?page=4

th_The%20Killing%20Joke_zpsnofn1qkc.jpgth_Incredible%20Hulk%20181_zpsijmg2iaw.jth_Detective%20880_zpsuvuymszu.jpgth_MDS00156_zpsiwxj9fek.jpgth_MarvelComics1fullcolorart_zps10cb6cbbth_TheWalkingDead_INKED-1.jpgth_Colorfinish_zps31571c15.jpgth_Batman%20700_zpsxtojdoz7.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

On 2/27/2017 at 10:21 AM, blazingbob said:

I think but then again I may have not said this out loud.  I am not a mind reader when it comes to "the buyers personal buying makeup".  If a potential buyer is standing across from me I will try the best I can to ask them if there is anything I can help them with or find.  Now depending on the person that may trigger an immediate "OMG he is pressuring me", "No,  just looking",  "Yes,  I'm looking for such and such".  From there it gets dicey.  When they lean in and squint I try and help by stating is there a book you are looking for.  Again,  "OMG he is pressuring me",  "If something jumps out at me I'll let you know",  "No,  just looking".  Followed by "How much is that",  "OMG I have a better copy",  "WOW,  can I hold it or take a picture".   Negotiations can be dicey because again unless I've become Spock and doing a Vulcan mind meld how do I know if you are the "Negotiator", "Low Baller", "Champagne taste/beer wallet", "Hates to negotiate and wishes you would just tell me your best price", "Dealer in Disguise".  

@blazingbob

I had to laugh when I read this. I must have looked at a book you had on a wall in 3 different venues. I think it was Punch 1, the one with the train on it, I just hate asking. I HAVE, but it bothers me. 

I eventually bought one, but at an auction, no one to ask that way. It was no where near as nice as yours though;)

When I was looking for specific books to fill a run and I only needed one or two more, I just bought whatever I found, but otherwise, I'm always wondering if I should ask, or if I'd sound stupid;) or if I had no clue what the book really went for and that was the best price;) 

I'm wondering if the NYC tax Buzz was referring to, was sales tax?

I expect to pay a little more at a show. I know that if I sell something on eBay, I can do it at my pace, in the comfort of my own home. I KNOW I'd never, ever, price a ton of books at home, put stickers on them, box them, do an inventory, schelp boxes of books to a show, drag them out of a van or car, set up all those grid things and then stand there waiting for people to show up, worrying about people stealing things off the table, giving me the wrong change, damaging a book they are looking through, etc.

I once watched a friend's table in NYC. I like this friend very much, so I was happy to help, but it was not exactly the thrill of a lifetime. Bedrock was at the table next door, HE was very cool about selling, I was in awe...as I watched...I was praying my friend came back soon;)

I'm very happy just to be in this as a hobby, dealers work very hard.

So paying a little more in person for something I wanted or was looking for...yes. Paying multiples for non exciting things I could find elsewhere...well, those times I've just walked by and come home with the cash I came with.

Everyone wants their books to continually go up in value, but then cry foul when they go up in price..... Many of the dealers I know are also collectors of sorts, and if they have a book on their wall that they're fond of and know it will be difficult to replace, the price can reflect that. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

14 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Everyone wants their books to continually go up in value, but then cry foul when they go up in price..... Many of the dealers I know are also collectors of sorts, and if they have a book on their wall that they're fond of and know it will be difficult to replace, the price can reflect that. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Definitely agree!

14 minutes ago, W16227 said:

lol - remember Andy - we are the tiny fish in the pond....... 

Think about what kind of inventory you would need, and how much you would need to sell, to pull just $80-100K in salary out of the store, pay the rent, employees, show ,other bills, and to buy new inventory to replace what you've sold?  $1 million wouldn't be enough, except he sells new books and other stuff I assume, which are supposed to pay for most of the store if not all.

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Guess it might all depend on how hungry they are.  I for one wouldn't if I were a Con dealer.

I can also say that with the number of conventions a typical dealer will do in a year there is no need to discount a fair market value price just to sell the book. The book is very likely to sell at the next show especially if it is an in demand key.

Perfect example of a scenario that happened with a book I own: I have a GSXM 1 CGC 8.5 white pages. I have a potential buyer that offered me $1100 Canadian at a show and my asking is $1400.

I decline

3 shows later the same buyer now offers me $1150, I decline.

Now here we are a full year later, he offered $1200, I check GPA and the fair market value of the book has gone up and I tell him the price is now $1500.

Maybe the title of this thread should have been "Should buyers at Cons be expected to pay Fair Market Value / aka Ebay prices for books at shows?"

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

I can also say that with the number of conventions a typical dealer will do in a year there is no need to discount a fair market value price just to sell the book. The book is very likely to sell at the next show especially if it is an in demand key.

Perfect example of a scenario that happened with a book I own: I have a GSXM 1 CGC 8.5 white pages. I have a potential buyer that offered me $1100 Canadian at a show and my asking is $1400.

I decline

Now here we are a full year later, he offered $1200, I check GPA and the fair market value of the book has gone up and I tell him the price is now $1500.

Maybe the title of this thread should have been "Should buyers at Cons be expected to pay Fair Market Value / aka Ebay prices for books at shows?"

Maybe post it up for sale on E-Bay and get that puppy sold!

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Maybe post it up for sale on E-Bay and get that puppy sold!

I could, I don't mind owning the book, but I will sell it for my fair asking price ( or close to it ) if someone would negotiate at a convention.

9 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I decline

And you still have the book, and you don't have $1200. I'd rather have the $1200 to buy other books. Don't really understand your business model there Sparky. :foryou:

8 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

And you still have the book, and you don't have $1200. I'd rather have the $1200 to buy other books. Don't really understand your business model there Sparky. :foryou:

might depend on what I paid for the book?

The biggest issue in my business model is currency exchange risk and the value of a book can fluctuate a lot over just a few months.

Edited by Artboy99