• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teachers Are Getting Graphic....novels that is

25 posts in this topic

headbang.gif Those covers rock.

I constantly get into arguments with people my age about literature and the curriculums young adults face. I am of the opinion that getting kids excited about reading is far more important (and ultimately more successful) that trying to force classics down their throats. I can't tell you how many books I loathed in junior high and high school that I ended up loving as an English major in college. The Great Gatsby and The Sun Also Rises immediately spring to mind. I think that it is great that you are focusing on getting kids into reading rather than attempting to force them into reading the "right" things. thumbsup2.gif

The creative writing aspect is also good, something I never got a single chance to do in four years of college. frown.gif

Classics Illustrated = Cliff Notes for Elementary Schoolers

All those corp/gov sponsored comic book promos/giveaways

Treasure Chest (Catholic Schools only)

Check out what your local librarians have on the shelves in the childrens section.

In Tampa it's Bone, Zot, Rising Stars, Safe Area Goradzne: I forget the rest. The anime section is bigger by half as much.

(Teachers would snatch and keep any comic I brought to class.

Maybe it's in the curriculum of only lightweight colleges.)

I always let students do their final paper in comic book form if they want, and that's resulted in some stunning work. Some of these kids should be professionals in the industry. Interestingly, some of the very best work I've ever received always, without fail, is drawn in the manga style.

893applaud-thumb.gif For you for this great idea for your students. Both covers are absolutely great but the one above is very intriguing. Having the main character appear in shadow on the cover makes for a mysterious origin. If I found this on the rack at my LCS I would pick it up! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, Jayman! I will pass the compliments on to my students. You make an interesting point. I noticed more than one cover that had the superhero in shadow to some extent. I also noticed many of the superheroes died in their stories, which never used to happen. It's interesting to watch the psyche of a new generation unfold. They will be a very distinct generation unto themselves, and I suspect 9-11 will have shaped their generation to a certain extent that can't be discounted. If anyone has any interest, I will post some more covers and maybe a couple stories.

Joe

You're quite welcome, and I am being honest. What a great way to teach and combine grammar, writing, art, and storytelling! Yes, please post more covers and even stories if you wish, or at least describe the plotline. Heck, you could even have us forumites vote for a best story or cover if you wanted to take it further... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for posting this, Lantern! thumbsup2.gif

I'm always glad to hear about stuff like this. I've been teaching a unit on comic books that I designed for seventh graders at my school nine years ago. I revise it each year and tie the objectives into state guidelines so it can always be justified in case I have to defend it. So far, it's received nothing but praise and has turned a lot of kids now in college onto comic fans. If any teachers out there are interested in what I do, I'd be glad to send attachments to you.

Joe,

My wife is a fifth grade special ed. teacher that uses comics as a reward or incentive for her kids. We hit every Tysons show where she goes through 50 cent bins to get books. She reads every one of them to check for content and to ensure that they are age appropriate. When she puts them in the "prize box" they are usually the first things gone. Her kids will choose them over candy, toys and other items. Many of the other teachers will seek her out and ask about where they can get them and how much they will cost.

The biggest success has been with late bronze age Spideys, Hulks, Superman, and Batman books. Most of them are self contained stories that are easy to follow and not "graphic." The hottest item this year, however, has been Teen Titans Go. I picked a bunch up cheap from the LCS and they were gone in a week. The girls really take to the Barbie and Archie comics.

thumbsup2.gif