• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracking the new holder

26 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

With the new inner well you do have to be very careful. I trim off the top then cut about two inches down each side between the heat seal and the book. If you lay the book on the edge of a smooth surface you can open the top and slide the book out without stressing the spine.

As an update to that video, Brittany showed me that a short flathead screwdriver..one of those stubby fat ones...works wonders popping the side seals.

The short flathead screwdriver definitely helps -- I just tried it out this morning, and it was the first new slab I've been able to split cleanly down the side.  Thanks for that suggestion (and the video) -- definitely much better than how I was doing it originally (it was not a pretty sight!).

2 hours ago, Inaflash said:

The old inner wells often times would peel apart easily with no cutting needed. Are these new inner wells on steroids really necessary?

Didn't they indicate that the seals on the inner wells would make the new slabs more resistant to moisture? I can't remember whether CGC actually said that or whether I'm just remembering someone speculating in a post that that would be the case. hm

8 hours ago, Action252Kid said:

The short flathead screwdriver definitely helps -- I just tried it out this morning, and it was the first new slab I've been able to split cleanly down the side.  Thanks for that suggestion (and the video) -- definitely much better than how I was doing it originally (it was not a pretty sight!).

My pleasure!

11 hours ago, Inaflash said:

The old inner wells often times would peel apart easily with no cutting needed. Are these new inner wells on steroids really necessary?

I loved those.... but unfortunately, they supposedly they made it easier to swap out books and reseal them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu