• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This Where I Can Rant About A Seller?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, The Mad Irishman said:

I've had the same experience there too, unfortunately. I don't even bother looking through the comics anymore. But the toys...all the wonderful toys...

You know the place, on Indian School off the 51 right? Yeah, lots of toys. Lots. 

But the comic-seller in back, geeze what a cheapass crook. And his wall books are beyond stupidly overpriced. Never getting any more business from me, ever.

ETA: It's a multi-seller marketplace with several different dealers housed in various areas of the store. The cheapass comic-crook is near the back now.

Edited by jcjames

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

You know the place, on Indian School off the 51 right? Yeah, lots of toys. Lots. 

But the comic-seller in back, geeze what a cheapass crook. And his wall books are beyond stupidly overpriced. Never getting any more business from me, ever.

Yup- I work right down the street. One look at the price of his wall books and I knew it was a lost cause. Seems like I had better luck when the comics were in the side room near the entrance (different dealer too, I assume). 

9 hours ago, The Mad Irishman said:

Yup- I work right down the street. One look at the price of his wall books and I knew it was a lost cause. Seems like I had better luck when the comics were in the side room near the entrance (different dealer too, I assume). 

Yep. That's when I used go there and spend plenty of time and money digging through the back-issue boxes all the time.  Now, after these last couple of experiences there - not anymore.

There used to be a couple of comic sellers there, one in a back room, another near the back room, and the one you mentioned up front to the right of the entrance. Now, only the cheapskate crook in the back who expects his customers to do his work for him and renegs on his own pricing.

Never buying comics there until he goes out of business (which probably won't be too long). I'll still check in for the toys and stuff and start buying comics when the cheapass crook goes out of business and is replaced with an honest dealer.

Edited by jcjames

13 hours ago, slym2none said:

Also, trashing the books because the person/people are being dill-holes is a moronic thing to do.

Well, I wouldn't do it even though I suggested it, but the sellers deserves it, particularly because these were not "what the heck is that doing in there??" type stuff.  I understand if a seller thinks some wall book was shoved in the dollar box or even a new issue off the rack was shoved in there, but yanking back a bunch of back issues that are only a couple of bucks otherwise?  I had shops do that with a NM 98 (when it was a $25-$50 book) and a L'il Depressed Boy #1 (when it was a $15 book), but I didn't make a big fuss because they were in huge stacks of $1 or less books that contained some other overlooked items, so it wasn't like I had done hours of work for them for nothing.

My time is worth more than the money on wasted searching the a-hole's books.  I'd definitely past onto the owner my .02 before walking out.  Can't really blame the clerk that his boss is a tool.

Create some work for him -- go back, pull 10 or so drek books at random.

Get the same answer, tell him ok, thanks, please have him call me when they are priced. Change your mind on the phone.

If they offer to sell to you at $1 each on the spot, change your mind on the spot.

Sounds like lots of you guys near there; everyone lather, rinse, repeat.

jusr a thought. :devil:

9 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Get the same answer, tell him ok, thanks, please have him call me when they are priced. Change your mind on the phone.

If they offer to sell to you at $1 each on the spot, change your mind on the spot.

Thinking1.jpg

9 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Yes, this would likely extinguish the behavior pretty rapidly. Everyone goes once a week or so, but you have to consistently buy nothing and put the books back where they were. Or even somewhere else, mismatched so he cannot just pull them out again. No reinforcement for this poor behavior, then eventually he'll say stop calling me for every sale.

21 minutes ago, Bird said:

Yes, this would likely extinguish the behavior pretty rapidly. Everyone goes once a week or so, but you have to consistently buy nothing and put the books back where they were. Or even somewhere else, mismatched so he cannot just pull them out again. No reinforcement for this poor behavior, then eventually he'll say stop calling me for every sale.

While the idea does amuse my time is more valuable and I wouldn't waste any more time on this seller.

29 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

While the idea does amuse my time is more valuable and I wouldn't waste any more time on this seller.

Well, I can certainly respect that too. And I have done that with at least 1 flea market seller whose shtick was everything had a price on it, but if I asked about it he had to look it up in Overstreet. Then it was I have to take it home and reprice it. The guy made me feel like I was trying to rip him off by trying to pay his already-accurate prices. So I told him off and walked away.