• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you keep your collection like a portfolio?

7 posts in this topic

Sure its been said time after time that comics are not investments, but who hasn't seen a return or a loss. Personally I have only started to consider certain books as "Keepers". Its a small group of about 20 or so slabs and of the GGA nature cause thats "what I like".  I do still like to buy to flip so I'm always on the hunt for an easy money maker. Back in the 80's I was bigger on speculating and at the time it sure felt like playing the stock market. I think speculating on the right book, plain out guessing, has a place in my so called "portfolio". It can be a modern book or a character first appearance. Sometimes the writing is on the wall with the direction a movie is going. Readers of comics, of which I am not and never was, have a way bigger advantage on that note. I think its good to have your keepers, have some risk books in volume, and also some of the no brainers that just seen to grow in value that everyone seems to want. Books like tec359, Asm129, IH181, and so on. I dont want or need those types as keepers but I like to tie up spare funds with them. To just collect is fine, but I like to know that when I look at my collection of keepers that they have been bought and paid with other comics over the years. So I guess its keepers, short term, long term and whenever they're ripe to sell books. Its a portfolio in my thinking. Some loss is expected and thats ok with me. I like to also think that someday I may pull the trigger on something bigger than I can really afford, a book so big I would have to sell off everything and still owe on it :cloud9:. It would be hard to part ways with some of the keepers, but 1 egg in 1 basket, coloring up, could be a risk I'd like to take I think.

I think of myself as a collector first. But as a collector, I have a wide range of collecting interests. I grew up reading comics in the 1960's when there were still a lot of different genres on the stands and it wasn't just super powered types in long underwear.  But don't get me wrong,  I love the superheroes.  I just happen to like Thunder Agents and Magnus Robot Fighter nearly as well as the mainstream Marvel and DC heroes. 

Because I have a wide range of characters and titles I like - and taking into account I cannot own everything I might like to own - if I spend much money on a comic book for my collection I figure it might as well be a comic book that has decent potential to grow in value.  For decades that has mostly worked out well for me. Not every book I've put in my collection has increased in value. But most have - and most have appreciated nicely in value. 

So I guess my point is one can collect and invest at the same time.  It's a great way to invest really - because even if it doesn't go up in price 300% over a decade or two you still had the pleasure of possessing a collectible you like. 

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:

Sure its been said time after time that comics are not investments, but who hasn't seen a return or a loss. Personally I have only started to consider certain books as "Keepers". Its a small group of about 20 or so slabs and of the GGA nature cause thats "what I like".  I do still like to buy to flip so I'm always on the hunt for an easy money maker. Back in the 80's I was bigger on speculating and at the time it sure felt like playing the stock market. I think speculating on the right book, plain out guessing, has a place in my so called "portfolio". It can be a modern book or a character first appearance. Sometimes the writing is on the wall with the direction a movie is going. Readers of comics, of which I am not and never was, have a way bigger advantage on that note. I think its good to have your keepers, have some risk books in volume, and also some of the no brainers that just seen to grow in value that everyone seems to want. Books like tec359, Asm129, IH181, and so on. I dont want or need those types as keepers but I like to tie up spare funds with them. To just collect is fine, but I like to know that when I look at my collection of keepers that they have been bought and paid with other comics over the years. So I guess its keepers, short term, long term and whenever they're ripe to sell books. Its a portfolio in my thinking. Some loss is expected and thats ok with me. I like to also think that someday I may pull the trigger on something bigger than I can really afford, a book so big I would have to sell off everything and still owe on it :cloud9:. It would be hard to part ways with some of the keepers, but 1 egg in 1 basket, coloring up, could be a risk I'd like to take I think.

Nice to see your changing your mind about certain books.Some are for flipping and a few to be held as keepers as they are to tough to ever be replaced!

12 minutes ago, Transplant said:

How do you view pump and dump?  I'll take my answer offline.

12 minutes ago, Transplant said:

How do you view pump and dump?  I'll take my answer offline.

I say put your money where your mouth is. If someone asked me right now what is my suggestion, I'd say tec359. Sure the cats out of the bag and the book is hot, but I like it for several reasons. A. The character is actually on the cover unlike Say Thanos buried within IM55. B. It's tough in 8.0+ I'd lean towards a nice wrapped copy. C. I think the book has lots of growth potential. 

I wish I had multiples in various grades. 

Yup I am pumping this book. I don't own a copy but regardless I feel no reason to state how I feel about any book. I am in the market and actually bid somewhere over 10k for that 9.4 Northland. I think that sale set the book on cruise control. 

As for dumping books, I've sold over 3000 slabs in the last 12 month, I'm pretty sure I lost money on a bunch. 

If you are actually accusing me of pumping BA12 when I was running a WTB thread offering $500 when GPA was $300 long before even a rumor of Suicide Squad, your nuts. I accumulated (7) copies in 9.8, kept one for me and the other six I sold to Greg Reese. They were like 600-700 ea at the time. The book had seen 2500 at one point. I dropped 26k on a Supe1 so that was the ONLY reason I sold them. I still owned lots of OA as I was liking Harley as an investment. 

I don't pump and dump books. Most of my sales here have been via auction lots, and more than competitive prices. I have even held many books for time payments. Every thing I have ever sold on eBay has begun at $.99.  If you are questioning my business ethics, you should take a poll in comics general about how I operate. You won't be happy. 

If anyone is creating hype to sell books, well that's just wrong. Touting misleading info to make sales is just wrong. I'd never do it. I wouldn't think highly of someone who did. Don't be confused of someone supporting or validating what they truely believe in vs something a snake oil salesman might say. 

Detective 359 has been a hot book climbing steadily and aggressively in value since 2012.  This is a Silver Age key by any definition.  It is also as said a tough book in VF and better grades. Discussing Detective 359's growth in value  potential can hardly be called pumping.  More like reporting the news.  And selling this book can hardly be called dumping. Better to call selling it a mistake unless one really needs the money or have decided to quit collecting comic books. Because it is almost certain you'll pay more whenever you try to replace it. 

I buy a lot of comics thinking, "Wow, what a deal. I bet I could sell it for a lot more!" And I haven't sold one yet. I have to stop buying books I like, they're too hard to let go :pullhair:

And for what it's worth, I also dislike first appearances that don't feature the character on the front of the comic. It's first cover appearances that I chase after, like Avengers #67 (1st Ultron cover).