• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tec 140 "Canadian" edition

29 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anyone else ( I already have Gator's opinion......counts for 3, but don't go look) has any insight on the value of early Tecs from Canada vs the regular editions. It's a book I've been after for awhile and have the opportunity to pickup a Canadian edition. Little to no GPA data, nothing since 2012. Lots of Ebay sellers say "rarer, more valuable". Not sure I agree. If you were in the market for a Tec key what % of regular would you pay for a Canadian published? 

Thanks in advance

Mike

Are there similar books that you might compare with more recent GPA data (along the same US copy price point/title, desirability?  I can't tell you what those may be if any but I do agree the book would be rarer than a US copy.  As to what the supply/demand is, I can't imagine as many folks in the market for the Canadian version.  I wonder if someone like Silver Surfer or Vintagecomics might have some insight as a couple who live in Canada and are pretty knowledgeable of GA and SA books.

Be interesting to hear what people think.  Good luck with your search. 

Mike,

I collect FECA books and traditionally they would sell for significantly less than American printings, mostly because of the fact that Canadian books have 36 pages instead of 52 pages, as well as the weaker colours and page quality. In most cases, they are lower quality reprints with fewer trimmings. By association, interest in some FECA books has increased quite a bit in the past couple of years due to the fervour over Canadian Whites, but the price increases have not been as dramatic. FECA books can be much harder to find than American prints and completing a FECA run can be a daunting task. That said, I've had an easier time tracking down DC superhero books compared to other genres, such as crime, horror and even some westerns (which, in some cases, I have paid more for in grade for FECA versions than what American versions guide at).

I have several DC superhero FECA books in my collection and they tend to be more plentiful than a lot of other FECA superhero books (Timely stuff is a lot harder to find, imo). I generally am only willing to pay half guide for them. Of the Canadian TECs, 140 is probably the most desirable because of the major 1st appearance. I'd probably pay more than half of guide to get one. Likewise for Batman 47 and 59.

Something that I do recommend, if you are interested in FECA books more broadly, is to never assume that the contents match the American printing (especially for Bell Features books). Oftentimes, they are direct reprints, but just as often they are not. Check out All True Crime Cases # 28 on the GCD for an example. When I first started I didn't realize this was the case. Its not unheard of to buy a superhero book with funny animal interiors or crime books with superhero interiors. Always ask a seller for more info if you are unsure because there are a lot of gaps on the GCD.

I hope this helps and best of luck in your search.

brian

1 hour ago, ecgt said:

Mike,

I collect FECA books and traditionally they would sell for significantly less than American printings, mostly because of the fact that Canadian books have 36 pages instead of 52 pages, as well as the weaker colours and page quality. In most cases, they are lower quality reprints with fewer trimmings. By association, interest in some FECA books has increased quite a bit in the past couple of years due to the fervour over Canadian Whites, but the price increases have not been as dramatic. FECA books can be much harder to find than American prints and completing a FECA run can be a daunting task. That said, I've had an easier time tracking down DC superhero books compared to other genres, such as crime, horror and even some westerns (which, in some cases, I have paid more for in grade for FECA versions than what American versions guide at).

I have several DC superhero FECA books in my collection and they tend to be more plentiful than a lot of other FECA superhero books (Timely stuff is a lot harder to find, imo). I generally am only willing to pay half guide for them. Of the Canadian TECs, 140 is probably the most desirable because of the major 1st appearance. I'd probably pay more than half of guide to get one. Likewise for Batman 47 and 59.

Something that I do recommend, if you are interested in FECA books more broadly, is to never assume that the contents match the American printing (especially for Bell Features books). Oftentimes, they are direct reprints, but just as often they are not. Check out All True Crime Cases # 28 on the GCD for an example. When I first started I didn't realize this was the case. Its not unheard of to buy a superhero book with funny animal interiors or crime books with superhero interiors. Always ask a seller for more info if you are unsure because there are a lot of gaps on the GCD.

I hope this helps and best of luck in your search.

brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the insight!! I'm under the impression from GCD that this book is the same as the US version other than the month printed on the cover and the "Published in Canada" vs. "A 52 page magazine". I have asked the seller for clarification though. You doing Moncton this year?

Cheers

Mike

No worries, Mike. I'm fairly certain that the Canadian TEC 140 has the Riddler story in it, based on CGC labels that I've seen indicating the first appearance. Nevertheless, since it's bound to be an expensive book, it's worth finding out what else is in it before making a buy. It's definitely a 36 page book, but a good chunk of the missing pages are likely ads.

We're going to be in Moncton for sure. We've already booked the tables. Should be a great time. Had a lot of fun last year.

On 3/4/2017 at 3:45 PM, Johnny545 said:

Value it at 1/3 of a regular copy in same grade.

Keys are worth more. A Cap #74 CGC 4.0 sold for just over $4k so its not far off FMV for the regular version. A Sub-Mariner #32 [#31] in 8.5 sold for $6,300 in February 2015 when the 7.5 Crippen copy sold for $7,100 at the same time. 

46 minutes ago, Silver Surfer said:

Keys are worth more. A Cap #74 CGC 4.0 sold for just over $4k so its not far off FMV for the regular version. A Sub-Mariner #32 [#31] in 8.5 sold for $6,300 in February 2015 when the 7.5 Crippen copy sold for $7,100 at the same time. 

Always exceptions - but 1/3 is a good rule of thumb that applies to most Canadian versions.   Something to keep in the back of ones mind when bidding/buying. Just less demand.  

Very cool thread ..

Most canadians that are 36 pages I value at 2/3 of US prices . But boy are they rare .

However some canadians do have full page counts ie classic comics .. thus are valued at full guide....

After seeing a bunch of canadian ECS selling for a premium on heritage it's whatever the market will bare . Lots of folks are trying to collect full canadian runs thus pushing up values due to scarcity ....Lots of fun !

On 3/6/2017 at 8:56 PM, Silver Surfer said:

But the DC issues are usually missing a six to eight page story.