• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Archie Chronology

9 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

Anybody know if there are any good websites or resources for Golden Age Archie chronology out there? I've tried searching GCD for Archie chronologically and it just comes out a big old mess.

Or if anybody fancies themselves an expert, do I have the first ten correct?:

1. Pep 22 (Dec 41)

2. Jackpot 4 (Jan 42)

3. Pep 23 (Jan 42)

4. Pep 24 (Feb 42)

5. Jackpot 5 (Mar 42)

6. Pep 25 (Mar 42)

7 Pep 26 (Apr 42)

8 Pep 27 (May 42)

9 Jackpot 6 (Jun 42)

10 Pep 28 (Jun 42)

Thanks for any insight!

--CB

Edited by Cosmic Boy

To further illustrate the place the quarterly Jackpot should have on your first 10 list, Jackpot 5 has a Veronica appearance in the Archie story, yet her first appearance is in Pep 26!

Great insights! Loved reading that old thread.

So the correct order for the first ten would be?:

1. Pep 22 

2. Pep 23 

3. Pep 24 

4. Jackpot 4

5. Pep 25 

6. Pep 26 

7. Jackpot 5

8. Pep 27 

9. Pep 28

10. Jackpot 6

Where does Special #1 fit in the chronology? It has a full page strip with Archie announcing his stories in Pep. Certainly an advertisement though it doesn't look like one at first glance.

Also, I posted this in the other thread but maybe it's better suited in this one:

So can anybody speak as to the actual rarity of the early Archies? Specifically Pep #23-26. I'm pretty sure they're all listed as Gerber 5. I have a really hard time believing 200-1000 copies of each of these exist, and that's without taking into consideration that the Gerber Scale is typically significantly under the actual amount. I generally double the Gerber scale, so 400-2000 copies each? Doesn't smell right IMO based on census data and common sense in what I've seen through many years of collecting. I suppose it's possible that there are that many holdovers in private collections, but if this were Vegas I'd strongly bet the other way.