• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever sell on eBay to a neighbor?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I listed a bunch of Pittsburgh Steelers items on eBay that I bought from the owner of a defunct Steelers bar out here. Sold a couple of items and two days ago got an offer from a guy who said he'd bartended there. We struck a deal on a few things and then he asked about picking them up in person as he also lived in Henderson.

My local police and library actually have a program where they assign an officer to a room in the library a few hours a week to provide a safe place for transactions, and also do the same in the city courthouse. Neither worked for him as he works graveyard at a bar.

When I asked which bar, it turned out to be the one on the corner of my complex. When I mentioned I lived here, it turns out he lives in the next quad. Each building has four apartments, hence Quads. Turns out his wife and son know me from the dog park.

Small world.

Interesting :) but no, I could see it happening though I've often looked on ebay and found an item that the seller and origin address is near by. I'm in Dallas. I have never bought, I don't think, from MycomicshoP and I think there in Arlington near by. But from someone you somehow know personally indirectly that is rare..... :) 

54 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I listed a bunch of Pittsburgh Steelers items on eBay that I bought from the owner of a defunct Steelers bar out here. Sold a couple of items and two days ago got an offer from a guy who said he'd bartended there. We struck a deal on a few things and then he asked about picking them up in person as he also lived in Henderson.

My local police and library actually have a program where they assign an officer to a room in the library a few hours a week to provide a safe place for transactions, and also do the same in the city courthouse. Neither worked for him as he works graveyard at a bar.

When I asked which bar, it turned out to be the one on the corner of my complex. When I mentioned I lived here, it turns out he lives in the next quad. Each building has four apartments, hence Quads. Turns out his wife and son know me from the dog park.

Small world.

Yup. Many years ago sold some comics on eBay to a guy who lived across the road from me.

I have sold stuff on eBay to people who live within a mile or two of the post office where I drop off my eBay items for shipment.  I've been tempted a few times to hand-deliver the books myself (or put the package in their mailbox myself), but I ended up just shipping them anyway just so that I'd have the tracking/proof of shipment and delivery from the post office.  

Never an actual neighbor though, that's crazy!

Bought an X-Men 10 off a guy that lived about 10 miles away. I asked him if I could just pick it up and we agreed. I just dropped by after work one day & picked the book up off him at his front door. Nice guy. Offered me a beer but I passed.

27 minutes ago, october said:

Years ago I bought a TOS 58 from a guy and he sent me a TOS 59. Got in touch with him and he lived just outside my town. I asked if he had anything else for sale and ended up leaving with these...

DSCF0199.jpg

Where's the good stuff? :insane:

Edited by Chadwick

I bought a set of Preacher TPBs on ebay and before the seller sent them to me she contacted me and told me I only lived a couple miles away from her.

She then told me she was one of those people who buys Storage Units at auction.  She said she had just bought a storage unit full of Comics and the Preacher TPBs were part of it.  She said if I was interested I could just come over and buy them all from her.  When I got to her house she showed me 20 long boxes of comics.  It was 98% modern (which I know nothing about), but the first box I examined had a New Mutants 98 in Mint condition so I knew they hadn't been cherry picked yet.   I asked her what she wanted for them and she said $30 a longbox.  I thought that was more than fair so I paid her $600.  

I asked her how much she paid for the storage unit and she said "$25" for the whole unit.  Wow.  She said she was the ONLY person that showed up to the Storage Auction that day and they start the bidding at $25.

I was hoping to find a Batman Adventures 12 & a Walking Dead 1, but they weren't in there, however there was an 8.0 WWBN32 (Yes there were a few bronze age too)

I sold the collection for about $3000 (except for the wwbn32), but the greatest joy I got out of the collection was READING all the modern Marvel comics and catching up on storylines that I knew nothing about.  It was fun.

Delivery with tracking is mandatory to be protected against "I never got it" 

Yup even a canceled check or MO won't fly with ebay. A signed letter in blood of the buyer won't suffice either. 

Many transactions on eBay should be delivered through a carrier with tracking.

if you do meet up off eBay, get cash and before you hand over the goods be sure the buyer cancels the transaction so you get your fees back

55 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

What did the Af15, TOS39, & JIM83 end up grading out at?

I still have the AF 15 and JIM 83, they are both 2.5 range. The TOS was about a 2.0 and I sold it raw right after I got it. 

I sold some Magic Cards on Ebay and a guy that was local to me bought a few. He said he bought them because the shipping would be cheaper and he would get them sooner because we lived in the same city.

I shipped them out, and the following weekend I hooked up with some friends of mine to play some magic the gathering and my friend showed me the cards he had "just bought." Turns out he was my buyer!