• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tobey Maguire May Bail

10 posts in this topic

Sticky 'Spider-Man' Situation for Tobey

TODD PETERSON

Audiences last year were wrapped up in Tobey Maguire's web with "Spider-Man," which became the year's biggest box-office draw and thrust Maguire into the spotlight.

But now, with the sequel set to begin shooting, there's some question as to

whether the actor will be able to reprise his role as the arachnid superhero for its follow-up, "The Amazing Spider-Man."

Maguire recently wrapped up a four-month shoot for the horseracing film "Seabiscuit," in which he portrays jockey Red Pollard. Both films required substantial physical effort from Maguire, and a spokeswoman for the actor says he's suffering from mild back pains due to those demands, Variety reports.

As a result, Maguire might not be fit to make the sequel's shoot date, scheduled to begin April 12. "Everyone involved wants to be certain he is able to do the intense stunts," Maguire's spokeswoman says in a statement.

Actress Kirsten Dunst will be returning in her role as redhead Mary Jane Watson in the project. But if Maguire proves unable to return, next in line to slip into the Spidey costume could be rising star Jake Gyllenhaal (who also happens to be dating Dunst).

A rep for Gyllenhaal, however, denied to the Hollywood Reporter that he's been offered the role.

The film's start date is unlikely to be pushed back, as it was already delayed from its original January date while Maguire finished "Seabiscuit." Dunst is on a tight timeline as well, as she's expected to begin filming "Wimbledon" in the summer.

Columbia Pictures is eager to keep the sequel on track. "Spider-Man" grossed $800 million worldwide, Reuters reports, and "The Amazing Spider-Man" is already scheduled for a May 7, 2004, release.

Just read that Donut, and was about to post.

I'm already leary of a sequel to begin with, but this would totally destroy any chance of a descent movie! You can't change the MAIN CHARACTER (see Batman for proof!!!).

I said, in a prior post, Why can't Hollywood just let a good thing be????? mad.gif

Chris

I actually don't think that losing Maguire would be that big of a deal.

He is not exactly the most charismatic of movie presences, and as long as they don't throw in a big name for the sake of it, they can pull off having someone else play Spidey.

lol!

Are you kidding? I hope you're kidding!

The guy must weigh about 78lbs soaking wet! I'm surprised he can stand upright, so I don't see how he can do any physical stunts. You'd have to delay shooting to get him into the gym for about 3 years to get him to where Tobey was.

The guy must weigh about 78lbs soaking wet! I'm surprised he can stand upright, so I don't see how he can do any physical stunts. You'd have to delay shooting to get him into the gym for about 3 years to get him to where Tobey was.

sounds like the perfect PUNY peter parker to me. blush.giflaugh.gif ditko style, not john romita's teen idol look. wink.gif