• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes a good comic book artist?

43 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kav said:

Just look at those mitts.  And the neck....

So great art is defined by how much it confines to standards? Or how much it resembles the art of the majority? Or how anatomically correct it is? Interesting. hm

47 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

In this respect, Ramos is no Jack Kirby. :preach:

I'd never compare the two. Art can be great for different reasons. A narrow definition of good art would make for a boring world. 

5 minutes ago, jaybes said:

So great art is defined by how much it confines to standards? Or how much it resembles the art of the majority? Or how anatomically correct it is? Interesting. hm

No it is defined by how well done it is and them mitts and neck sink that art.  your comment could apply to liefeld-and you know he's bad....

Anything anyone here has said to defend Ramos' art could be said about liefeld-so that should send up red flags like crazy.

Edited by kav

14 minutes ago, kav said:

No it is defined by how well done it is and them mitts and neck sink that art.  your comment could apply to liefeld-and you know he's bad....

Anything anyone here has said to defend Ramos' art could be said about liefeld-so that should send up red flags like crazy.

There will never be a "right" answer to the OPs inquiry, we all know how subjective art it. Liefelds art is desirable to lots of people. 

Youre a talented artist, but your style doesn't do it for me...that doesn't mean it's not good or even great art. 

When it comes to comics, good art supports the story, bad art doesn't...any other criteria is subjective to the reader, IMO. 

Just now, jaybes said:

Youre a talented artist, but your style doesn't do it for me...that doesn't mean it's not good or even great art. 

Image result for crying emoticon

Objectively speaking liefeld and ramos are far better than me-because people pay them to draw and people buy their stuff.

10 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

I loved the Flash Gil Kane run of issues ! i consider them it to be great !

But my favorite comic artist run of them all is the Wally Wood Daredevil run 1 thru 11 i think... - brilliant !!!

Wood didn't show up until issue #5.

At least Ramos is making some effort to draw feet, even if they're inside training shoes.  Better than nothing, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

16 minutes ago, jaybes said:

Wow another person joined these forums just to post about Humberto Ramos lol 

"YouNeedGlasses" :roflmao: 

welcome to the boards! 

Are you really this much of a Noob? lol:gossip:

I just realized I typo'd the name. I feel like such a Jaybes doh!

Edited by RsmosSucksAss

Dumberto Ramos:  this might help:

Image result for muscles of neck

Ps a person's feet cannot be so large that his head could fit in his shoe.

Edited by kav

16 hours ago, kav said:
16 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

Ouch...just, ouch.  That is hard to unsee.

Just look at those mitts.  And the neck....

I've always thought it kinda worked for Spidey (although I didn't read the book when he was on the title).   That Wolverine was terrible though. 

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:

I've always thought it kinda worked for Spidey (although I didn't read the book when he was on the title).   That Wolverine was terrible though. 

If the actual spider man is drawn so the hands look exactly like the amazing spider-ham well houston we have a problem.

To me, a great comic book artist is first and foremost a story-teller.  If there were no word balloons and a reader only looked at the art on the panels, a reader should be able to deduce the story based on the "motion" and context of the drawings in each panel to form in his or her own mind what the story is.  Ditko, Kirby, and Byrne were masters with their layouts.  Of the more modern artists, Gary Frank is a master story-teller.  Second, the artist has to be able to draw characters, buildings, etc. in a manner that make them look real.  If the drawings were to come to life like the classic A-Ha video, would the character look like a person?  Adams, Raboy, Byrne, Wood, among others.  This is where so many modern artists miserably fail.    Third, does the artist make the drawings dynamic, so that in each panel, you "see" movement?  Kirby, Kane and Adams are the hands-down masters here.  Add Miller also.  And last but not least, how well, does an artist leverage dramatic effect by the use of lines and shadows?  Here, think Wrightson, Colan, Raboy, Miller and Giordano, among others.

The truly great comic book artists are the ones that effect all of those elements in their work.  Adams, Kane, Miller, Kirby, Byrne are at the top of this list, for me.

10 hours ago, YouNeedGlasses said:

Yeah, Ramos is awesome lol

8ZmqxL9.jpg

Judging from his ability to hold a conversation while having his mouth tightly shut all the time, Wolverine's a talented ventriloquist as well.  

It's not hard to find a good pharmacy that will sell you an effective constipation remedy, which could also be the problem.

Edited by Ken Aldred

To me great comic book art should tell a story even if there are no words.  I believe it is known that I am a big fan of GI Joe, but I say the following outside of that interest.  I sincerely believe that issue 21 of GI Joe should be included in the basic manual for how to create great comic book art.  A good artist should be able to not only accent the plot but to be it's copilot.  In the case of GI Joe 21 (The Silent Snake Eyes Issue), Hama tells a story through the artwork.  He cannot rely on exposition for the reader to be engaged.  The reader is engaged by the pacing, the mannerisms depicted by the characters, the background images, angles, point of view and every other artistic trick in the book.

I mostly see a debate in style in this thread.  However the basic mechanics are all that matters.  Some people prefer different styles over others.  To me, that is fine.  However, take away the style, if the artist cannot tell a story with their art if the words are removed, then they are missing something that really should be there.