• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

So no, the announcement thread doesn't need any rules, and if you're going to announce that you're going to be selling books, buyers are going to ask about buying those books...always have, always will. (shrug)

So, what you are saying is, the announcement board is a place to solicit PMs? That's really what I thought all along. I'm certainly guilty of sending an occassional PM, I sent one to someone posting in this thread and I bought a few books 2 weeks ago, but do some people think that's a bad thing, and if so, why?

Pretty much...many times a seller would start their own thread "announcing" they were going to be selling x, y, or z, but ended up selling x, y, and z before ever listing them in the thread. People think it's a bad thing because it's "not fair" to them that they don't get an even shot at the books, unfortunately, life's not fair...buyers and sellers develop relationships, friends get 1st shot at books, people know who is looking for a certain type of book so they offer them those books via PM, etc.,.

I wouldn't mind doing away with announcements altogether, when you have the books ready to roll, start listing 'em! Unfortunately (and this has happened), someone would then complain that the seller should have announced when they were going to sell the books so they could have a fair shot at them, and away we go round-and-round! (thumbs u

I agree. I think we should do away with any and all of the guidelines. (:

:makepoint::foryou:David, some people are going to read that as a serious statement...

I can see your point , Mike and I agree, the more threads you have like the announcement thread, the more chance you have for ;) Discourse and Strife...just LIST the darned books, whenever. No one is going to be able to be on 24/7 anyway, and IF you announce them, someone is bound to complain that they will be away...

I miss a LOT of books that are listed, seems like everytime a cheap Timely is listed, I'm doing something silly like working, or sleeping...but I've learned to live with it...you can't have everything and can't be around all the time to shop... Things that happen between friends, were always happening...

Why do you selectively answer questions?

(shrug)

Whay do you care? (shrug) Please put me back on ignore :)

Because you poke and probe and then never follow up.

I'd like to know if you were trying to insinuate that I manipulate my scans to make my books look better?

Only a fool would put an reckless person on ignore when that person is in the same room and capable of much damage.

R.

So no, the announcement thread doesn't need any rules, and if you're going to announce that you're going to be selling books, buyers are going to ask about buying those books...always have, always will. (shrug)

So, what you are saying is, the announcement board is a place to solicit PMs? That's really what I thought all along. I'm certainly guilty of sending an occassional PM, I sent one to someone posting in this thread and I bought a few books 2 weeks ago, but do some people think that's a bad thing, and if so, why?

Pretty much...many times a seller would start their own thread "announcing" they were going to be selling x, y, or z, but ended up selling x, y, and z before ever listing them in the thread. People think it's a bad thing because it's "not fair" to them that they don't get an even shot at the books, unfortunately, life's not fair...buyers and sellers develop relationships, friends get 1st shot at books, people know who is looking for a certain type of book so they offer them those books via PM, etc.,.

I wouldn't mind doing away with announcements altogether, when you have the books ready to roll, start listing 'em! Unfortunately (and this has happened), someone would then complain that the seller should have announced when they were going to sell the books so they could have a fair shot at them, and away we go round-and-round! (thumbs u

:makepoint::foryou:David, some people are going to read that as a serious statement...

I can see your point , Mike and I agree, the more threads you have like the announcement thread, the more chance you have for ;) Discourse and Strife...just LIST the darned books, whenever. No one is going to be able to be on 24/7 anyway, and IF you announce them, someone is bound to complain that they will be away...

I miss a LOT of books that are listed, seems like everytime a cheap Timely is listed, I'm doing something silly like working, or sleeping...but I've learned to live with it...you can't have everything and can't be around all the time to shop... Things that happen between friends, were always happening...

Sharon,

I know. I think the announcement thread was a good idea as Andy first suggested it, and so did many others. But like most good ideas around here, they were quickly abused. If we as a group, can't follow simple guidelines, then perhaps the best suggestion is to do away with them. :)

Bring on the likes of the Henchman! :whistle:

-d

I don't insinuate anything. :)

It's obvious you do but then don't follow through. Most people reading threads know this now. It's all good. My point has been made.

I'm done here.

R.

I've stopped pre announcing my sales threads and have had the same amount of success with sales (sometimes almost 100% sell through) that I had before. This place has been fantastic to deal with people and I've been much more willing to cut deals than ever before. I receive PMs from people during the threads often with, do you have this book? or what else is coming, i'll buy it before you list it, and I am happy to sell it to people when they inquire.

Pre sale sales are a reality of the comic book world it seems, and I will be honest, repeat customers and friends do get some preferential treatment in that regard.

Sharon,

I know. I think the announcement thread was a good idea as Andy first suggested it, and so did many others. But like most good ideas around here, they were quickly abused. If we as a group, can't follow simple guidelines, then perhaps the best suggestion is to do away with them. :)

-d

I started buying on here, after the supposed Good old times were over...so, I'm not a great example. I can say, honestly, I have had worse luck, than on Ebay. My last 3 purchases were great, but that's because I did, basically what I do on Ebay, I stuck to people I knew I could trust. The one person I didn't really know, I spoke to on the phone several times before buying. The other day I opened a book I bought from here a few months ago..it was a cheap book, not worth making a big deal about but the description said "cover off" well the cover was not just off, it was completely split, restapled and an entire mess...so, unfortunately, the rules, though I agree, most are good, are not going to protect people, David, you need to use common sense. I like your probation thread, and I do like the people who champion the rules...but there are just too many people here and a percentage of them, are going to be the same as they are in society...people who try to take advantage.

I'm not grabbing books so quickly here anymore, unless they are CGC'd or I know the person...it's amaizing how many CGC'd books I actually own now, who'd a thunk it':)

In any case, I think you are all nice well meaning people, some have slightly different points of view, but that's what makes life interesting.

I've stopped pre announcing my sales threads and have had the same amount of success with sales (sometimes almost 100% sell through) that I had before. This place has been fantastic to deal with people and I've been much more willing to cut deals than ever before. I receive PMs from people during the threads often with, do you have this book? or what else is coming, i'll buy it before you list it, and I am happy to sell it to people when they inquire.

Pre sale sales are a reality of the comic book world it seems, and I will be honest, repeat customers and friends do get some preferential treatment in that regard.

They should.

It's obvious you do but then don't follow through. Most people reading threads know this now. It's all good. My point has been made.

I'm done here.

R.

:applause:

I think everyone is tired of your endless sarcastic remarks (sarcasm is effective in moderation, obnoxious otherwise) and your indirect attacks by insinuation. Sarcasm and insinuation only lead to confusion, and do nothing to contribute to a positive resolution of whatever's bothering you. If you have something to say, say it. If you have a problem with someone, tell us what that problem is. Otherwise, spare us the vague innuendos and drama and just keep it to yourself. (thumbs u

I think everyone is tired of your endless sarcastic remarks (sarcasm is effective in moderation, obnoxious otherwise) and your indirect attacks by insinuation. Sarcasm and insinuation only led to confusion, and do nothing to contribute to a positive resolution of whatever's bothering you. If you have something to say, say it. If you have a problem with someone, tell us what that problem is. Otherwise, spare us the vague innuendos and drama and just keep it to yourself. (thumbs u

There's more rumor and innuendo flying around here than seeds at a watermelon eating contest.

I'm done here.

R.

Divad:

I like you both here so I hope you'll appreciate it when I say this. You do insinuate. You do ask questions and then not participate in further discussion. You do have a high level of sarcasm.

If you think something needs to be said, then do it. One liners and vague hints just infuriate people. Others may not agree with a straight forward critique but at least we'll all be on the same page.