• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

On the issue of over or mis grading, I can only speak on a personal front... if I've made a mistake or overlooked something, I would prefer to have it pointed out to me and see no issue with someone telling me in the thread. I miss things, or people will point things out, and sometimes it is actually a good thing. If it becomes nitpicking, that's a different story, but if someone sees a real mistake in one of my threads, I invite you to point it out. I think that can only me overall. I feel I'm a pretty accurate grader, but nobody is perfect.

What's the point of posting in the announcement thread if you already have a scan, grade, and price? If you have all that, just start the thread already... (thumbs u

:applause:(worship)

I always assumed the announcement thread was for:

"I just got a big batch of BA books back from CGC today!

I'll have to scan them and price and should have that done by the weekend so look for a nice slab sales thread from me on Saturday or Sunday."

He could have questioned it publicly and I would have had no problem with it. In fact, what's strange is that he chooses to single me out and I have refrained, even privately now that I think about it, from commenting on any of his books... yet I and others could do so especially since there are certainly questions that could be raised.

Since the GL 76 in question sold in 5 minutes and others expressed a desire to buy it had it not sold, I'm not sure what the issue is.

Either way, I'm not sure why divad has decided to raise the issue with me.

What's the point of posting in the announcement thread if you already have a scan, grade, and price? If you have all that, just start the thread already... (thumbs u

:applause:(worship)

I always assumed the announcement thread was for:

"I just got a big batch of BA books back from CGC today!

I'll have to scan them and price and should have that done by the weekend so look for a nice slab sales thread from me on Saturday or Sunday."

Thats how I saw it. If you have time to scan it, spend the extra 3 minutes and grade and price. (shrug)

Sharon,

I know. I think the announcement thread was a good idea as Andy first suggested it, and so did many others. But like most good ideas around here, they were quickly abused. If we as a group, can't follow simple guidelines, then perhaps the best suggestion is to do away with them. :)

Bring on the likes of the Henchman! :whistle:

-d

I'll be the first to admit that I really only look at problem threads rather than trolling through lots of threads looking for minor violations, but I always get a sense of urgency and anarchy from your posts on the topic, divad, that I have trouble tracing to any substantial practical problems.

I click around a few threads and I see mostly scans and prices, etc. etc. I've heard a few times that everything it going to hell in a handbasket around here, and maybe I'm missing something, but I'm having trouble seeing it.

Haven't you heard? The sky is falling.

Chicken_Little.jpg

I only read threads just to see if I can throw in a snarky comment at the expense of Doc Watson or greggy.

And me!

Don't forget me!

:(

Here is my opinion if it matters.

Keep your nose out of other peoples sale threads if the books seem overgraded. The fact that noone is buying them should give a clue to the seller that there is something wrong. And if they are buying the overgraded books then both parties have an opportunity to learn a lesson in the transaction.

Do it by PM if you must but dont threadcrap a sale thread. Any other thread on the boards is fair game.

I only read threads just to see if I can throw in a snarky comment at the expense of Doc Watson or greggy.

And me!

Don't forget me!

:(

:whatev:

:cry:

Opening Pandoras box and inviting grading critiques in sales thread can get very ugly very quickly. Not sure if you've noticed but there are some board members with considerably less tact than yourself.

Well, I definitely would expect that if it were one of your selling threads.* :devil:

:jokealert:

Seriously, I agree, I don't think there are too many instances of books being that obviously overgraded, but my thoughts were that if one of the more knowledgeable/experienced collectors were to see an instance like that, they could point it out within the thread in a polite way. No hurt feelings, no additional comments from anyone else, just, "I think that book may be a bit off on the grade. PM me." or something like that. That way, it helps the seller and their fellow board members.

I clearly wouldn't be the one to do it nor would I presume to. All my books are NM. :grin:

*Please note: The above comment/insinuation about John's grading does not reflect the actual opinion of alecholland. Alecholland likes cd4ever and regularly buys comics from him.

Bring on the likes of the Henchman! :whistle:

I think everyone is tired of your endless sarcastic remarks (sarcasm is effective in moderation, obnoxious otherwise) and your indirect attacks by insinuation. Sarcasm and insinuation only led to confusion, and do nothing to contribute to a positive resolution of whatever's bothering you. If you have something to say, say it. If you have a problem with someone, tell us what that problem is. Otherwise, spare us the vague innuendos and drama and just keep it to yourself. (thumbs u

Nothing's bothering me at all. And there are no innuendos or drama. I suggest that you ask yourself why you think you speak for more than yourself. (thumbs u

Complete and utter Bollocks.

You know it, I know it, and others no it.

You just dont seem to have the sack to come out, call Roy out again as it is clearly him who you are talking about with the scans, and get it out in the open.

I will wait 5 minutes for my regular "you dont know what you are talking about pm" that you always send.

Sack up and say what ever is on your beady little brain, or shut the up.

Ive called you on it. So has Banner, Watson, Roy, and others.

Either contribute and speak out, or keep on your little condesending tilt.

I'll be the first to admit that I really only look at problem threads rather than trolling through lots of threads looking for minor violations, but I always get a sense of urgency and anarchy from your posts on the topic, divad, that I have trouble tracing to any substantial practical problems.

I click around a few threads and I see mostly scans and prices, etc. etc. I've heard a few times that everything it going to hell in a handbasket around here, and maybe I'm missing something, but I'm having trouble seeing it.

There's nothing to see. 98% of everything that goes on in the Sales forum is fine. It's the 2% that seems to get panties bunched up.

If you think someones grading is off PM them, dont derail threads.

I do agree with this.

Brian says he doesnt mind in a thread, but i just think that is bad form (and also asking for a flame war and nuclear mealtdown)

Also offer a 100% money back guarantee in your selling thread. I've done that for every sale I've ever conducted on the boards and have never had a book sent back. If someone is getting a bunch of returns they'll tighten up their grading or stop selling, either way the problem is solved.