• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

the only possible situation to me that is understandable is what october is talking about, a rare book that would be very difficult to find a graded copy otherwise
What difference does this make as long as the grade is accurate? Why should it matter if do or don't quote GPA when naming the price? I'm going to look at it when I decide on the price or when I'm deciding to buy. People know if they want to pay full GPA on a book or not.

i mean why not just buy a gradded book in the first place. what fool would pay slabbed prices for raw books in the first place. oops, did i just say that out loud.

Find me nice copies of any of the tough golden age books on my wantlist and I will pay over GPA. Not everyone collects common silver through modern, some collectors are happy to just FIND a copy of the book they want.

that fine, just don't quote GPA

Why would I quote GPA, I am looking to BUY them. :makepoint:

read up a few posts i said it's about the seller not the buyer

What are you talking about? You said the buyer would have to be a fool to pay GPA for a raw book. I explained why that isn't true.

damit, i posted this above too,

"the only possible situation to me that is understandable is what october is talking about, a rare book that would be very difficult to find a graded copy otherwise "

i mean why not just buy a gradded book in the first place. what fool would pay slabbed prices for raw books in the first place. oops, did i just say that out loud.

Find me nice copies of any of the tough golden age books on my wantlist and I will pay over GPA. Not everyone collects common silver through modern, some collectors are happy to just FIND a copy of the book they want.

that fine, just don't quote GPA

Why would I quote GPA, I am looking to BUY them. :makepoint:

read up a few posts i said it's about the seller not the buyer

What are you talking about? You said the buyer would have to be a fool to pay GPA for a raw book. I explained why that isn't true.

damit, i posted this above too,

"the only possible situation to me that is understandable is what october is talking about, a rare book that would be very difficult to find a graded copy otherwise "

^^

the only possible situation to me that is understandable is what october is talking about, a rare book that would be very difficult to find a graded copy otherwise
What difference does this make as long as the grade is accurate? Why should it matter if do or don't quote GPA when naming the price? I'm going to look at it when I decide on the price or when I'm deciding to buy. People know if they want to pay full GPA on a book or not.

I agree, Transplant. What difference does it make if the buyer is willing to pay the price and the seller offers a full refund if not satisfied? The bottom line is, a comic is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. All any guide is is an indicator of what a book has sold for in the past. As a buyer, if I don't like the prices, I move on. No harm, no foul.

All any guide is is an indicator of what a book has sold for in the past.

not exactly, GPA is and indicator of what slabbed books have sold in the past. not raw

Personally, I quoted GPA prices b/c I felt that most people look to GPA when dealing with HG bronze books. I do. Over 9.2 on Bronze HG and OPG is basically useless.

I like how you gloss over the fact that you quoted GPA on a common BA Amazing Spider-man in 9.2.

And I was initially confused as to all the GPA pricing, as I am looking for a CGC copy of ASM 127, but have no need for more raw copies.

OK. Open question to all buyers.

How do you know if you are going to be paying a good price for a book if it is outside the scope of Overstreet, and there are no recorded sales on Comiclink, no recent sales on Ebay and no one you know has bought one recently?

R.

Personally, I quoted GPA prices b/c I felt that most people look to GPA when dealing with HG bronze books. I do. Over 9.2 on Bronze HG and OPG is basically useless.

I like how you gloss over the fact that you quoted GPA on a common BA Amazing Spider-man in 9.2.

And I was initially confused as to all the GPA pricing, as I am looking for a CGC copy of ASM 127, but have no need for more raw copies.

All I have here is my OPG from 2 years ago. Would you rather I quote the $50 from it or the $48 GPA? BTW, I'm pretty sure you knew whether these books were slabbed or not. How? Most people would just ask the question or PM the question, "Are these slabbed or raw?" No. You got on your superiority horse and took a spin around the grounds.

:gossip: Monstro bought that 9.2 you're referring to. :roflmao:

How do you know if you are going to be paying a good price for a book if it is outside the scope of Overstreet, and there are no recorded sales on Comiclink, no recent sales on Ebay and no one you know has bought one recently?

As a buyer, you either pay what the seller wants or you don't.

As I've stated many times, the question here is not price, but the sales tactic of quoting CGC GPA prices to promote raw books.

and do you have to be standing on one foot and have one hand tied behind you back when you hit the

:takeit:

meh

I don't get it....let me ask again...

Open question to all buyers.

How do you figure out what the book is worth on the open market?

R.

R.

Answer: I check GPA, even if it's raw. :acclaim:

Question #2: I have this sweet Neal Adams Batman I grade at NM+, OS says it's worth like $40 in NM-, how do I determine what I should ask for it, and how do I let the buyer know that I'm asking fair market value when I end up listing it here at multiples of guide?

bat246.jpg

R.

but seriously if you have a book that meets all those criteria the go for it Roy, quote GPA by all means

R.

Answer: I check GPA, even if it's raw. :acclaim:

Question #2: I have this sweet Neal Adams Batman I grade at NM+, OS says it's worth like $40 in NM-, how do I determine what I should ask for it, and how do I let the buyer know that I'm asking fair market value when I end up listing it here at multiples of guide?

:takeit: for $40.

and do you have to be standing on one foot and have one hand tied behind you back when you hit the

:takeit:

meh

I don't get it....let me ask again...

Open question to all buyers.

How do you figure out what the book is worth on the open market?

R.

had a feeling that one was going over top, but my point is you are citing a rare or pretty rare situation. obviously if there is zero sales figures to quote and all you have is GPA, then go for it

R.

but seriously if you have a book that meets all those criteria the go for it Roy, quote GPA by all means

That's what I am trying to get across. I'm not a snob but I make it a point to collect rare or hi grade books, so when I sell them and they are not CGC graded then GPA is my only option (and maybe a recent sale from an auction house). Period. That's all I'm trying to say. So what seems to be unreasonable to many is the only option for some.

(thumbs u