• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

To all the anti-pressers and purveyors of disclosure:

What would possess individuals to troll sales threads of folks who have high grade books who disclose pressing?

Are you upset that people still want these books? Do you now want, along with disclosure, an indelible stamp or perhaps an audio chip that screams out "PRESSED!!!!!" whenever anyone gets within 15 feet of it?

Why do some people have to be such peckershiners?

Are you upset that your 8.5 OO copies are not as highly regarded as pressed 9.8s? They never will be, and wishing won't make it so.

Enlighten me.

it's called "moving the goalposts."

where in this instance they used to be "proactive disclosure is all we want," now it's "people who press books don't deserve to be able to sell them here."

next it'll be "what i collect is cool, what you monetise is a clear indicator that you're a facist destroyer of all that's bright and good and clean and honest and the hobby is ruined, ruined, ruined thanks to you i hope you die and burn in a thousand hells oh gosh i hate these childproof caps."

next it'll be "what i collect is cool, what you monetise is a clear indicator that you're a facist destroyer of all that's bright and good and clean and honest and the hobby is ruined, ruined, ruined thanks to you i hope you die and burn in a thousand hells oh gosh i hate these childproof caps."

We have had at least one instance of this already. You are going to have to find a new "next."

There are already several very good sellers who no longer have selling threads on the boards because it has become too much of a headache. It began going down hill after the selling forum redesign. The actions of posters like PEP and divad only exacerbate the situation.

well it was bound to happen in any case, given that these forums are neither closed to new members nor all that efficient at keeping n00bs out of the sales area.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone buying or selling pressed books as long as they disclose that it's been pressed. I fell buyer deserve to have that information. (shrug)

If you don't like a movie, don't go see it. If you don't like pressed books; don't buy them, but otherwise show some civility and let others have their selling threads uninterrupted.

It's impolite to question someones grading in their thread. It's impolite to question the price they are asking. It's impolite to disrrupt their sales thread with discussions about "Pressing, right or wrong". Take the conversation somewhere else. (tsk)

Maybe that is the endgame. Run off the high grade sellers who disclose pressed books, run off the people who like to buy high grade books and don't care if they are pressed and leave the marketplace for folks who want to buy and sell over-inflated Mid-Grade Silver. Sounds like every flea market on I-70. Whooppeee.

Enlighten me.

Sean, I'm not against pressing, and I applaud Tupenny for posting ahead of time books were pressed.

I think what happened in that thread, possibly, was an innocent question may have been misread.

The way I took Pep's question, if I may frame it based on perception, was, "Hi. I think it is great you mention a book was pressed. What do you look for when trying to detect pressing?"

Just the way he asked it, it may have come across like a challenge. At least, I hope that was what happened versus beating up on a thread when a seller is trying to be up front about book prep work. Then that would be totally wrong!

But knowing how the pressing debate can get heated, I probably would have asked that question via a PM. I'm still leaning towards it was such an innocent question, Pep didn't realize how it came across.

Enlighten me.

Sean, I'm not against pressing, and I applaud Tupenny for posting ahead of time books were pressed.

I think what happened in that thread, possibly, was an innocent question may have been misread.

The way I took Pep's question, if I may frame it based on perception, was, "Hi. I think it is great you mention a book was pressed. What do you look for when trying to detect pressing?"

Just the way he asked it, it may have come across like a challenge. At least, I hope that was what happened versus beating up on a thread when a seller is trying to be up front about book prep work. Then that would be totally wrong!

But knowing how the pressing debate can get heated, I probably would have asked that question via a PM. I'm still leaning towards it was such an innocent question, Pep didn't realize how it came across.

I'm going to do some research and pwn your azz.

Enlighten me.

That's not only giving the benefit of the doubt, it's bending oneself over backwards to do it. You must be into Pilates or something. :baiting:

If someone says "pressed," what in the world would lend one to believe that he's lying or guessing about it?

I honestly asked him what point he was trying to make, after asking Tupenny the same stupid question again. I suppose it's possible he hasn't been on the boards, but if the bloody question was so urgent, why not stick around a bit for the bloody answer

Bills a sweetie, and I applaud the disclosure, and honestly, if those were a little older (like 10 years or more;) I'd buy one just because...

If people harrass nice, honest people, it's going to suck here...(and yes, I cursed;)

Or maybe that doesn't qualify, lol?

Edited by skypinkblu

That's not only giving the benefit of the doubt, it's bending oneself over backwards to do it. You must be into Pilates or something. :baiting:

lol Okay, I'm being too much of a soft heart on this one. :foryou:

I honestly asked him what point he was trying to make, after asking Tupenny the same stupid question again.

I just went back and caught the second comment. Now it does come across like picking a fight over pressing.

It would appear the beatdown may be deserved on the part of the person asking the question.

Enlighten me.

I'm going to do some research and pwn your azz.

Research inconclusive. Pwning postponed, possibly indefinitely. I still maintain that PEP acted like a douchenozzle.

Bills a sweetie, and I applaud the disclosure, and honestly, if those were a little older (like 10 years or more;) I'd buy one just because...

If people harrass nice, honest people, it's going to suck here...(and yes, I cursed;)

If it's not spooned, it doesn't count. :gossip:

If it's not spooned, it doesn't count. :gossip:

Cartman is your best avatar. It is hard, however, to hear Cartman's voice with a Southern accent. hm

If people harr nice, honest people, it's going to suck here...(and yes, I cursed;)

I had to look for it, but yes you did say a dirty there. (tsk)

:baiting::foryou:

If people harr nice, honest people, it's going to suck here...(and yes, I cursed;)

I had to look for it, but yes you did say a dirty there. (tsk)

:baiting::foryou:

Memo to self, take cussing lessons;)

Or maybe not bother;)