• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

So you do not believe charging actual shipping is sufficient? If I were to list all shipping charges it would have to be a flat fee to cover multiple scenarios. Since the idea was to keep the costs down as much as possible on this sale it seemed the way to go. I have posted a flat fee for larger ticket items in the past.

So you do not believe charging actual shipping is sufficient? If I were to list all shipping charges it would have to be a flat fee to cover multiple scenarios. Since the idea was to keep the costs down as much as possible on this sale it seemed the way to go. I have posted a flat fee for larger ticket items in the past.

I think just saying something like "I'm shipping from Canada. Rates will be $10 - $20" or whatever would do fine.

For future I wll certainly be more clear. Not listing my location was an oversight. I had failed to update my location in my profile as well. I removed it some time ago to replace it with some cool location and never thought of one. doh!

I have a topic for discussion and a proposal to amend one of the rules/guidelines for sellers. Not sure if this is the right place to do this, so redirect me elsewhere if necessary.

I recently bought some comics from some non-U.S. sellers who did not disclose their location in the sales threads nor their profile. So I was surprised by the high shipping costs after I've agreed to buy items, although I did not ask up front where the sellers were shipping from. Given that this forum and the majority of the users on this forum are U.S.-based, I assumed the sellers would be in the U.S. or disclose the out-of-country location up front. While I bit the bullet and paid for the comics, I feel that omissions of shipping locations are grounds to cancel a deal and may be a techinique used by some non-U.S. sellers to increase sales.

The only rule in the usage guidelines pertaining to this for sellers is:

8. List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.

I proposed amending this rule to the following:

List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods, and at a minimum list the country the items will be shipped from.

I do not propose requiring users to change the location in their profile, as many have creative/nonspecific locations (i.e., "somewhere in middle America").

Thanks for your time.

I was really hoping this would show up here. Although I'm a big fan of conspiracy theories in my case not listing that I am shipping from Canada was an oversight. I recently changed my sales thread opening and it is not included. I don't recall if it was ever included but this is the 1st time there was an issue. Thus may be partly due to the sale being a dollar sale so some postage costs exceeded the cost of the books.

Most of the buyers I have had numerous dealings with so they were well aware. The others I am trying to work with. The idea of the sale was supposed to be a deal for boardies. I thought there were quite a few underpriced books.

Although I will correct the problem in the future I do believe the buyers share in the lack of communication. They assumed I was shipping from a US location and never asked for a quote. Even shipping within the US has options right? Media vs 1st rate vs priority etc. Because I see atleast some of the responsibility with the buyer I don't think it is grounds for walking away from a deal. At the very least they should try for a compromise.

Just put Canada in your location :gossip:

+1, that way if you forget, it's at least more likely the buyer will ask.

Sorry folks, I agree with mschmidt. This is a chat board for a US company, for predominantly US comics, with most conventions in the US and the lion's share of readers/posters in the US. It's not crazy to just assume someone is in the US when selling. Therefore, I think it should be incumbent on the seller, if they're not in the US, to so note that fact if they're not giving exact shipping to begin with.

I think at the very least stating what a handful of books cost is sufficient and every sales thread should have it. For US sellers, I understand that without using media mail for comics it is more difficult to determine shipping cost. Then the shipping method used should be disclosed with an the buyer to inquire about actual cost.

In any event, if anything was stated on the thread regarding shipping cost or method, it would give he buyer more information about the sale overall. I am not sure how this particular thread was worded but I do know that I have looked at your other sales threads. I don't recall your location stated.

But Branget is saying (I believe?) that he was giving exact shipping, just from Canada, which is higher.

Personally I'd have no problem letting anyone out of a deal who was upset about the shipping if I forgot to include my location, I'd view it as my fault. I do agree, however, that if you are selling and you are out of the US, that putting your real location in your "location" is a no brainer...just in case.

But Branget is saying (I believe?) that he was giving exact shipping, just from Canada, which is higher.

I think he was saying that he stated he would charge "exact shipping". That's fine if you're in the US and the US buyer has a rough idea of a cost; $5 for a couple of books, $8-10 for slabs, etc. But what if the seller is in Japan and just says "exact postage"?

I think he was saying that he stated he would charge "exact shipping". That's fine if you're in the US and the US buyer has a rough idea of a cost; $5 for a couple of books, $8-10 for slabs, etc. But what if the seller is in Japan and just says "exact postage"?

You lost me here, Mike, that's why I answered with the above statement.. I think maybe you meant to say "If they are not giving exact US shipping"

Sorry folks, I agree with mschmidt. This is a chat board for a US company, for predominantly US comics, with most conventions in the US and the lion's share of readers/posters in the US. It's not crazy to just assume someone is in the US when selling. Therefore, I think it should be incumbent on the seller, if they're not in the US, to so note that fact if they're not giving exact shipping to begin with.

I know that I gave up with exact US shipping, it became too confusing, so I just charge a flat rate and I cover any overage in the US, but for me, shipping to out of the US is always something I look forward to with trepidation. The costs are very high to the buyer, unless I send something first class and then I can't use tracking, and then I have to make a special trip to the PO ...which can be very time consuming. I stopped offering shipping to out of the US on eBay when I sell there, because of this..and I only offer it here because of the community aspect.

When I have to tell someone out of the US the shipping costs, I cringe...which I fear, might work the same way for people shipping TO the US, since they don't have such inexpensive options available.

So, they might forget...but at least if they put their location in their profile, the buyer will have a clue.

Anyway, to make a long story short...sorry, I didn't mean to type so much;)

I'd let the buyer off the hook, if I made the mistake...and it sounds like it was a mistake.

Edited by skypinkblu

FU. Don't mock my pain.

I drop ship my books from a different location on the planet every day, it changes at dawn, and no one knows where it will be next.

Witness relocation?

Everything I ever needed to know I learned from Krull.

Sha:

My point was that "exact shipping" is too vague if you're a non-US seller and your location is not known to the buyer. That's all. I agree that if I quoted shipping to someone and they backed out as a result of the high cost, I wouldn't hold them to it.

Sha:

My point was that "exact shipping" is too vague if you're a non-US seller and your location is not known to the buyer. That's all. I agree that if I quoted shipping to someone and they backed out as a result of the high cost, I wouldn't hold them to it.

and all I needed to say, lol..was that I agreed with you:) :foryou:

We can agree to disagree I suppose. Assuming the seller is based in the US is still an assumption. I offered one buyer out of their purchase and paid half shipping on another. Out of 23 buyers there were 3 surprises that I'm aware of. The majority I have had multiple transactions with.

I believe both the buyers and myself had the opportunity to clarify the shipping.

I updated my location :whee:

We can agree to disagree I suppose. Assuming the seller is based in the US is still an assumption. I offered one buyer out of their purchase and paid half shipping on another. Out of 23 buyers there were 3 surprises that I'm aware of. The majority I have had multiple transactions with.

I believe both the buyers and myself had the opportunity to clarify the shipping.

I updated my location :whee:

I still have a problem with your thinking. You broke the seller forum board rules. See #8 - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1460472#Post1460472

8.List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.

Therefore, you are at fault. If any buyer wants to back out of the transaction because of your mistake to list the sales thread properly that should be allowable. Personally, if someone asked me as a seller to cancel a transaction, I would do it as I wouldn't want to force anyone into a sale. I would hope that you as a seller on these boards would honor the rules.

Again, my opinion really doesn't matter here but I do feel for those that aren't happy with the transaction moving forward.

Always take a minute to read the rules of the sales thread. Most of the sellers on here have the costs and terms up front. The problem is sometimes ( and not refering to you), people start hitting books without knowing the shipping terms or location. If the seller is not clear on shipping costs and methods, send him a P.M. and ask.

Having to mention in your sales thread that you're located outside of the US seems like a no-brainer to me - especially if you state that shipping costs will be "exact postage" :shrug:

And yet you failed to notice that I did not state I was in Canada. :taptaptap:

Next time buy all my books. ;)

That's true - as I've dealt with you before, I knew you were in Canada, so I wasn't surprised by the shipping cost; I had already factored it into the purchase price.

It still doesn't negate my point, though - this is a US-based message board, so people are, by default, going to assume that any seller is also based in the US. It's up to you as a seller to ensure that they know it's not the case :thumbsup:

Always take a minute to read the rules of the sales thread. Most of the sellers on here have the costs and terms up front. The problem is sometimes ( and not refering to you), people start hitting books without knowing the shipping terms or location. If the seller is not clear on shipping costs and methods, send him a P.M. and ask.

Having to mention in your sales thread that you're located outside of the US seems like a no-brainer to me - especially if you state that shipping costs will be "exact postage" :shrug:

And yet you failed to notice that I did not state I was in Canada. :taptaptap:

Next time buy all my books. ;)

That's true - as I've dealt with you before, I knew you were in Canada, so I wasn't surprised by the shipping cost; I had already factored it into the purchase price.

It still doesn't negate my point, though - this is a US-based message board, so people are, by default, going to assume that any seller is also based in the US. It's up to you as a seller to ensure that they know it's not the case :thumbsup:

Agreed. It does not negate your point. Buying all my books would have negated the discussion.

Having been on the other side of the fence several times I will once again disagree. I go to great lengths to learn the US postal system and work with US sellers on their postage cost. I have also compensated sellers several times for miscalculated shipping. I do this to encourage Canadian shipping.

The issue I do not agree with in this debate is the claim that it is ok to assume. It is never safe to assume and even on a US based message board although the assumption is probable it is not guaranteed. It is an assumption and carries risks and responsibilities.

Th e problem will be corrected moving forward. :)

I've been guilty of assuming a US based seller without checking. But sometimes getting that I'll Take It sign up there as soon as possible is all that matters. Upon learning the seller was in fact in Canada, I did what my haste made necessary: I paid the "extra" shipping and honored the deal.

I've been guilty of assuming a US based seller without checking. But sometimes getting that I'll Take It sign up there as soon as possible is all that matters. Upon learning the seller was in fact in Canada, I did what my haste made necessary: I paid the "extra" shipping and honored the deal.

+ 1