• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I've seen people include that sales are at their discretion (in other words the seller can decide not to sell it to a potential buyer).

You could be general like that.

Or you could be specific that anyone with fewer than X number of posts must communicate an :takeit: via PMs with references provided (ebay, other sales sites), and that you have the right to reject a purchase offer from a new user, and leave a book on the market.

Have people done this before? (your scenario of an :takeit: just to get a competing book off the market that never gets consumated cause its a shill account while the "real" user sells the same book to a real buyer while yours sits off the market.

I would hope...

Or just ask that new buyers or buyers with like less than XXX amount of posts just pay within 24 hours... if they can't or don't just relist.

Thank you both for responding. Just wanted to be sure.

As a new member myself, who has only bought, I recognized quickly the importance of your reputation on these boards and more importantly respecting the people who are routinely selling quality books below GPA or bay prices. I don't see any reason why your request for additional stipulations would be seen as anything other than a reasonable requirement in order to safeguard your sale. The majority of the quality sellers/buyers on this forum would understand and I would guess that anybody who has a problem with it would not be people that need to be sold to. My only concern is with the 24 hour time limit. I know that there have been times where life happens and it may reasonably take extra time to plug into PP to complete the transaction. Communication goes a long way to establishing trust in the purchasing process and I think that your first example sets the foundation for that while giving the seller the ability to back out if that communication, or the lack thereof, provides indicators of untrustworthiness.

As a new member myself, who has only bought, I recognized quickly the importance of your reputation on these boards and more importantly respecting the people who are routinely selling quality books below GPA or bay prices. I don't see any reason why your request for additional stipulations would be seen as anything other than a reasonable requirement in order to safeguard your sale. The majority of the quality sellers/buyers on this forum would understand and I would guess that anybody who has a problem with it would not be people that need to be sold to. My only concern is with the 24 hour time limit. I know that there have been times where life happens and it may reasonably take extra time to plug into PP to complete the transaction. Communication goes a long way to establishing trust in the purchasing process and I think that your first example sets the foundation for that while giving the seller the ability to back out if that communication, or the lack thereof, provides indicators of untrustworthiness.

(thumbs u This is the stuff I like to read around here!

... My only concern is with the 24 hour time limit. I know that there have been times where life happens and it may reasonably take extra time to plug into PP to complete the transaction. Communication goes a long way to establishing trust in the purchasing process and I think that your first example sets the foundation for that while giving the seller the ability to back out if that communication, or the lack thereof, provides indicators of untrustworthiness.

jrob well said and welcome. I agree the 24 limit (if thats the sellers term) is tough. But if a seller is hot to sell, I'd expect to see an instant PM/Invoice following a :takeit: in a thread, and if you were on to post the :takeit: then doing the paypal should be easy enough since you're already online...

So Cal has a book listed at well over what the book is worth in his sales thread. No problem. Cal is running a reverse auction for that book. No problem.

He will lower the book $100 a day until it sells. I have a problem with him bumping the book for at least 20 days in a row and taking up front page real estate for one book. There are rules in place to prevent people from bumping their threads to keep them at the top of the page.

I 100% feel that this is an end around the rules. Am I alone in this thinking?

So Cal has a book listed at well over what the book is worth in his sales thread. No problem. Cal is running a reverse auction for that book. No problem.

He will lower the book $100 a day until it sells. I have a problem with him bumping the book for at least 20 days in a row and taking up front page real estate for one book. There are rules in place to prevent people from bumping their threads to keep them at the top of the page.

I 100% feel that this is an end around the rules. Am I alone in this thinking?

CAL finding loopholes

So the rule he's closest to kind of breaking is:

"Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you."

TECHNICALLY he's compliant. CAL is changing the price of a book, so that's not considered a "bump" (it would be considered a useful information update).... the mods will have to decide whether to address it or not, since they are the ones who make the call.

If it was a book with a price that was closer to the market, and he was "bumping" the listing by dropping the price every day, would it still be a problem?

Another parallel would be if I listed a book closer to GPA, but was constantly bumping my thread by dropping the book price by $1 each time.

but its a slippery slope since part of the loophole has to do with pricing the book so out of scope with the market, since everyone agrees the buyer gets to decide what price to list their books at... its the use of a reverse auction as a bumping tool that needs some sort of rule around it.

Excessive bumping of sales threads by the seller is supposed to be verboten so yes this could be a way around that.

# 12 from the Usage Guidelines

alas, information updates (which I think would include price changes) aren't considered bumps.

yeah, you're right I think. Technically compliant

Excessive bumping of sales threads by the seller is supposed to be verboten so yes this could be a way around that.

# 12 from the Usage Guidelines

alas, information updates (which I think would include price changes) aren't considered bumps.

yeah, you're right I think. Technically compliant

True and this isn't a case where I am looking to add a rule to prevent this. Common sense and respect for others should prevent this.

Otherwise, like Miraclemet already said, what is to stop everyone from bumping threads constantly with tiny price drops to stay in front of the reverse auctions that start out at twice GPA? Or ten times GPA?

I have a Spectacular Spider-man #36 that I would like to sell. Starting price $479. I will lower the price every day until it sells.

By $0.13 a day.

True and this isn't a case where I am looking to add a rule to prevent this. Common sense and respect for others should prevent this.

Otherwise, like Miraclemet already said, what is to stop everyone from bumping threads constantly with tiny price drops to stay in front of the reverse auctions that start out at twice GPA? Or ten times GPA?

I'd say use the "Notify mods" button and state your case, then let the mods decide if they want to poof the thread/contact the OP or what.

Most people here play by the spirit of the rules, some play by the letter of the rules... but where its up to interpretation, just report it to the mods and move on.

I am posting this here to alert others about member jaspersk (member number 25377).

It hasn't been 30 days yet, but I would like to put jaspersk on notice publicly that if after 30 days I don't receive payment I will move that jaspersk be placed on the probation list.

I had a sales thread (now closed). jaspersk PM'd me about a book. I responded with the price. jaspersk agreed, asked for the total and my Paypal address. I responded with my invoice and Paypal address, I haven't heard from jaspersk since. I have made a couple attempts to contact with no response. It has been 24 days since jaspersk agreed to purchase my book.

Quick research will show you that jaspersk only has 3 posts. It looks as if jaspersk pulled the same thing with another member's sales thread. I hope this "early call out" of jaspersk will help other sellers, so that they don't get into a similar situation.

There must have been some threadkrapping bug spread by CAL's reverse auction... now we've got an OP getting krapped on for pre-selling a Phantom variant of the Guardians of the Galaxy book, and getting krapped on by none other than LarrysComics... who is one of the Phantom distributors/retailers... who is also selling the same book on his website right now for more than the OP is selling their copies...

While the topic of whether what the OP is doing is "redistribution" or not (since apparently the Phantoms cant be "redistributed"), and the topic of pre-selling books is always a mix (some are fine with it, some are not), the fact that someone who is selling the same book (on their website at a higher price) is krapping on another OP seems pretty low.

What am I missing here that justifies Larry's position on this?

See the action here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6542250#Post6542250

There must have been some threadkrapping bug spread by CAL's reverse auction... now we've got an OP getting krapped on for pre-selling a Phantom variant of the Guardians of the Galaxy book, and getting krapped on by none other than LarrysComics... who is one of the Phantom distributors/retailers... who is also selling the same book on his website right now for more than the OP is selling their copies...

While the topic of whether what the OP is doing is "redistribution" or not (since apparently the Phantoms cant be "redistributed"), and the topic of pre-selling books is always a mix (some are fine with it, some are not), the fact that someone who is selling the same book (on their website at a higher price) is krapping on another OP seems pretty low.

See the action here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6542250#Post6542250

Some guys aren't above a straight up move. Some guys have made a career of that being their personality.

Then you get the guys that combine the above with the dynamite combo of 1) thinking that because they sell comics at the retail level they matter more than other people and 2) megalo-mania for no fudging reason or justification whatsoever.

See the action here:

Some guys aren't above a straight up move. Some guys have made a career of that being their personality.

Then you get the guys that combine the above with the dynamite combo of 1) thinking that because they sell comics at the retail level they matter more than other people and 2) megalo-mania for no fudging reason or justification whatsoever.

I will dumb this down for the rest of us.

Larry is a .

I do hope that people just stop posting in Cal's latest sales thread. It's upsetting to see the hounds looking for scraps.

Guys, forget the points and take the high road. 2c

I do hope that people just stop posting in Cal's latest sales thread. It's upsetting to see the hounds looking for scraps.

Can you give me some data points for my navi system to get to the high road?

Can you give me some data points for my navi system to get to the high road?

Just follow me, my brother. Follow me.

:applause:

:gossip: This is the right thing to do.

The points game is fun, but we have to use sense and reason as well. That thread will likely get points, but I sure don't want to be a part of that mess.

That was an unfortunate sales thread that got reamed right from the start. Sure, his price was high, but the treatment against him was unfair.

There's a boardie who is pushing and prodding him in his own sales thread, claiming he's protecting the community against overpaying. Cal isn't on the probation list, he's just priced his comic book highly. See the high price, shake your head if you want, and then just move along.

I didn't create the locked thread points challenge, I just started the thread. However, I can't help but feel partly responsible when things like this start happening. Pile on Cal for points? Sad, but it happens. Pile on Cal for points, in his frikken sales thread? Man o' man. :facepalm: I'm embarrassed.