• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Trying to make it a rule that sellers can't use a specific postal service :screwy:

even if it's against the PO's rules?

I am not sure how this differs from paypal rule to this one?

For years, it was up to the individual post masters to decide if comics were allowable under media mail. I think they are officially trying to close that loop hole now.

Since it is in B&W that comics are not allowable under media mail, who is held responsible if that package isn't forwarded or is with postage due? Is it the fault of the seller or buyer?

With the influx of transient sellers we are getting on these boards, I would hate to see someone get burned over shipping.

Trying to make it a rule that sellers can't use a specific postal service :screwy:

For years, it was up to the individual post masters to decide if comics were allowable under media mail. I think they are officially trying to close that loop hole now.

Since it is in B&W that comics are not allowable under media mail, who is held responsible if that package isn't forwarded or is with postage due? Is it the fault of the seller or buyer?

With the influx of transient sellers we are getting on these boards, I would hate to see someone get burned over shipping.

It's not a stretch to ask this rule be added.

I've received packages sent via Media Mail and the post office caught them. Just this year, someone sold me 8 raw books, charged me $5 for shipping, and the total cost was $11.50 combined. The package arrived with $11 due for additional postage because (1) the seller used Priority shipping box tops to protect the books, (2) the inspection note was included clarifying comics are not allow, so (3) the USPS charged Priority Mail instead of Parcel Post because of Item (1).

Better to nip this in the bud now. Otherwise, you deal with any escalations later when a seller feels they shouldn't have to cover the additional expense.

It's not a stretch to ask this rule be added.

I've received packages sent via Media Mail and the post office caught them. Just this year, someone sold me 8 raw books, charged me $5 for shipping, and the total cost was $11.50 combined. The package arrived with $11 due for additional postage because (1) the seller used Priority shipping box tops to protect the books, (2) the inspection note was included clarifying comics are not allow, so (3) the USPS charged Priority Mail instead of Parcel Post because of Item (1).

Better to nip this in the bud now. Otherwise, you deal with any escalations later when a seller feels they shouldn't have to cover the additional expense.

I had an ebay seller send me a couple of comics in a manila envelope protected in a priority mailer bubbled wrapped envelope and cut out cardboard from priority boxes. The package was ripped open during transit and luckily I didn't get charged for priority rate. I mentioned to the seller about this. Hopefully they will learn. Cardboard is free just go to any store and ask for boxes.

It's great to have the info up front and you certainly can make a suggestion, but from a practical sense, it's going to be impossible to enforce.

It depends what is being shipped. I've had people ask me to mail media if the books are inexpensive. I'm not sure people are going to be able to sell to California when they are sending boxes of $.50 cent books from NY.

I know that the rates have zoomed, I just paid about $20 to ship two slabs across the Country. It would have been $6.00 if it were NY.

I was teasing a friend that I was going to add no HOS, no Probies and no one from California (I was kidding) but people will just make deals through PM.

As for using priority materials. I never cut up new USPS stuff, It's not really suitable for most books anyway, it's too thin. But I have plenty of old cardboards I've received that was from USPS mailers and I do hate to just toss the boxes I get. If I DO reuse it, I put a note on the cardboard, that it's previously been mailed and I'm recycling.

As for using priority materials. I never cut up new USPS stuff, It's not really suitable for most books anyway, it's too thin. But I have plenty of old cardboards I've received that was from USPS mailers and I do hate to just toss the boxes I get. If I DO reuse it, I put a note on the cardboard, that it's previously been mailed and I'm recycling.

Doesn't matter on the previously used boxes. I had a package arrive last year that clearly contained used Priority boxes, as the old mailing label was on one of the boards. The postal inspector still marked it for Priority rate, as the disclaimer on the board makes it clear this cannot be used for anything but Priority shipping.

:(

It's great to have the info up front and you certainly can make a suggestion, but from a practical sense, it's going to be impossible to enforce.

It depends what is being shipped. I've had people ask me to mail media if the books are inexpensive. I'm not sure people are going to be able to sell to California when they are sending boxes of $.50 cent books from NY.

I know that the rates have zoomed, I just paid about $20 to ship two slabs across the Country. It would have been $6.00 if it were NY.

I was teasing a friend that I was going to add no HOS, no Probies and no one from California (I was kidding) but people will just make deals through PM.

With all due respect, cost should be the reasoning behind explicitly violating a rule. It was the main reason everyone jumped on the personal paypal bandwagon to save PP fees. It violated PP agreement rules.

Yes, shipping is getting expensive. It has changed my buying habits. I don't shipping comics via Media Mail any more and that was prior to seeing this notice. I just made a decision that it wasn't worth it.

As a side note: I have ordered twice now books for my nieces from CA. Both times they were shipped via media mail and I received them within 4 days :o I was quite surprised how quickly they arrived and my packages to CA normally take 7-10 days.

With all due respect, cost should be the reasoning behind explicitly violating a rule. It was the main reason everyone jumped on the personal paypal bandwagon to save PP fees. It violated PP agreement rules.

Yes, shipping is getting expensive. It has changed my buying habits. I don't shipping comics via Media Mail any more and that was prior to seeing this notice. I just made a decision that it wasn't worth it.

As a side note: I have ordered twice now books for my nieces from CA. Both times they were shipped via media mail and I received them within 4 days :o I was quite surprised how quickly they arrived and my packages to CA normally take 7-10 days.

I think you meant it should NOT be the reason?

I understand, but it's GOING to be the reason that people will use PMs. I shipped boxes last fall (to myself before I read this) that arrived the same day the priority ones arrived.

Doesn't matter on the previously used boxes. I had a package arrive last year that clearly contained used Priority boxes, as the old mailing label was on one of the boards. The postal inspector still marked it for Priority rate, as the disclaimer on the board makes it clear this cannot be used for anything but Priority shipping.

These are used in priority boxes. I don't think I've ever used anything, even a free priority label in a media package...just in priority, but I just wouldn't cut up a new box.

These are used in priority boxes. I don't think I've ever used anything, even a free priority label in a media package...just in priority, but I just wouldn't cut up a new box.

Oh, I understand. I tried to contest the charges, and was informed Priority boxes are not to be used for anything other than Priority mail, whether used or not. The post master pointed to the disclaimer on one of the boxes, and that's all she wrote.

Oh, I understand. I tried to contest the charges, and was informed Priority boxes are not to be used for anything other than Priority mail, whether used or not. The post master pointed to the disclaimer on one of the boxes, and that's all she wrote.

I have a REAL problem with the PO stating that we can't use "used" boxes as packing material. Do the really want more landfills of unused cardboard material when it can be used till it falls apart?

I've made it clear in my sales threads that I like media mail use (right or wrong) and that if the buyer wants to pay for the more expensive priority rate, then they can and it will be shipped that way. Also if it (media mail) arrives and you have to pay the priority rate, then that was what you were going to have to pay anyway, so why complain to the seller when you could have requested that option in the first place... especially if you feel that option is wrong.

On the flip side of that coin, I as a seller have to back up my packaging (which I always have by the way ;) ) to protect the contents in case the box is opened. If a over zealous postal employee tears into it and messes up a book, then I have to replace it. Hate that it happened, but no biggie.

I think the restrictions of media mail on comics due to "advertising" is ridiculous... especially in relation to items over a year old. If ALL advertising is considered valid from items over 2, 5, 10, 50 years old... then I want to buy some of those items at that advertised price. (shrug)

99% of us want that cheaper option on shipping since we know the majority of books we buy are basically worthless. If you want to pay for priority and the "safety" it provides... then ask for priority mail before you buy from the seller.

1pbcb_zpscab555e5.jpg

1pbcl_zps963a4b1f.jpg

Raw and Encapsulated comic books
I could see a case being made for raws but not graded books. The only way to access the ads is to crack the case.

So you're saying the back of a CGC slab is opaque?

cgcbackcvr_zps639bfb74.jpg

Invalid advertising... don't think anything is at this location now.

http://www.trulia.com/homes/Illinois/Chicago/sold/1000048710-417-S-Dearborn-St-Chicago-IL-60605

How about instead of using old priority boxes or new priority boxes to protect your contents you use FedEx boxes?

Every time I ship something, it's typically priority mail anyway. But on the inside I've double boxed everything with FedEx materials. So if you're using it as filler or whatever I can't see the USPS having issues with boxes from other companies on the inside of your package.

FedEx materials are available everywhere for literally $0.00

How about instead of using old priority boxes or new priority boxes to protect your contents you use FedEx boxes?

Every time I ship something, it's typically priority mail anyway. But on the inside I've double boxed everything with FedEx materials. So if you're using it as filler or whatever I can't see the USPS having issues with boxes from other companies on the inside of your package.

FedEx materials are available everywhere for literally $0.00

Also a good idea :golfclap:

I have a REAL problem with the PO stating that we can't use "used" boxes as packing material. Do the really want more landfills of unused cardboard material when it can be used till it falls apart?

I've made it clear in my sales threads that I like media mail use (right or wrong) and that if the buyer wants to pay for the more expensive priority rate, then they can and it will be shipped that way. Also if it (media mail) arrives and you have to pay the priority rate, then that was what you were going to have to pay anyway, so why complain to the seller when you could have requested that option in the first place... especially if you feel that option is wrong.

On the flip side of that coin, I as a seller have to back up my packaging (which I always have by the way ;) ) to protect the contents in case the box is opened. If a over zealous postal employee tears into it and messes up a book, then I have to replace it. Hate that it happened, but no biggie.

I think the restrictions of media mail on comics due to "advertising" is ridiculous... especially in relation to items over a year old. If ALL advertising is considered valid from items over 2, 5, 10, 50 years old... then I want to buy some of those items at that advertised price. (shrug)

99% of us want that cheaper option on shipping since we know the majority of books we buy are basically worthless. If you want to pay for priority and the "safety" it provides... then ask for priority mail before you buy from the seller.

1pbcb_zpscab555e5.jpg

1pbcl_zps963a4b1f.jpg

Unfortunately, when you use the PO's service you have to abide by their rules. How you feel about doesn't really matter.

1pbcb_zpscab555e5.jpg

1pbcl_zps963a4b1f.jpg

Unfortunately, when you use the PO's service you have to abide by their rules. How you feel about doesn't really matter.

You know, that's a valid point, I'm going to ditch all the cut up priority boxes I received from other people.

and just remember when you drive...that when you use the governments roads to abide by speed limits and check the sex regulations in each State and when you ...

Never mind;) I really am going to ditch the cardboard.

Years ago, Gifflefunk found some weird loophole in the media mail legalese, that said if you included things that were eligible, you could use media mail I sent people a LOT of paperbacks as extras stuff that year;)

1pbcb_zpscab555e5.jpg

1pbcl_zps963a4b1f.jpg

You know, that's a valid point, I'm going to ditch all the cut up priority boxes I received from other people.

and just remember when you drive...that when you use the governments roads to abide by speed limits and check the sex regulations in each State and when you ...

Never mind;) I really am going to ditch the cardboard.

Years ago, Gifflefunk found some weird loophole in the media mail legalese, that said if you included things that were eligible, you could use media mail I sent people a LOT of paperbacks as extras stuff that year;)

Speed if you want to, I know I do. :) But there really isn't a defense for it.

1pbcb_zpscab555e5.jpg

1pbcl_zps963a4b1f.jpg

So next time you buy from anyone Speedy... make sure to request only Priority Mail Service instead of any other. :foryou:

I personally don't want to pay $15 boxed shipping for five midgrade Marvel Two in One issues :foryou:

1pbcb_zpscab555e5.jpg

1pbcl_zps963a4b1f.jpg

So next time you buy from anyone Speedy... make sure to request only Priority Mail Service instead of any other. :foryou:

I personally don't want to pay $15 boxed shipping for five midgrade Marvel Two in One issues :foryou:

Alls I'm saying is, it don't really matter what you want. Or rather, everyone agrees with you I'm sure, but it's not a defensible position. The PO makes the rules, and you can either follow them or not. But there isn't an argument to support the latter.

1pbcb_zpscab555e5.jpg

1pbcl_zps963a4b1f.jpg

Alls I'm saying is, it don't really matter what you want. Or rather, everyone agrees with you I'm sure, but it's not a defensible position. The PO makes the rules, and you can either follow them or not. But there isn't an argument to support the latter.

I understand Speedy... that's why I said "right or wrong" above. :foryou:

Maybe everyone on the boards who has received a comic via media mail and feels strongly enough about it... should take a check in the amount they perceive they have ripped off the PO for... and give it to them directly.

I'd say over the last 20 years of mail order... I would owe them thousands of dollars. :(

I seriously doubt there will be many willing to do that... but a few might hm