• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

As for using priority materials. I never cut up new USPS stuff, It's not really suitable for most books anyway, it's too thin. But I have plenty of old cardboards I've received that was from USPS mailers and I do hate to just toss the boxes I get. If I DO reuse it, I put a note on the cardboard, that it's previously been mailed and I'm recycling.

Doesn't matter on the previously used boxes. I had a package arrive last year that clearly contained used Priority boxes, as the old mailing label was on one of the boards. The postal inspector still marked it for Priority rate, as the disclaimer on the board makes it clear this cannot be used for anything but Priority shipping.

:(

These are used in priority boxes. I don't think I've ever used anything, even a free priority label in a media package...just in priority, but I just wouldn't cut up a new box.

Oh, I understand. I tried to contest the charges, and was informed Priority boxes are not to be used for anything other than Priority mail, whether used or not. The post master pointed to the disclaimer on one of the boxes, and that's all she wrote.

I have a REAL problem with the PO stating that we can't use "used" boxes as packing material. Do the really want more landfills of unused cardboard material when it can be used till it falls apart?

I've made it clear in my sales threads that I like media mail use (right or wrong) and that if the buyer wants to pay for the more expensive priority rate, then they can and it will be shipped that way. Also if it (media mail) arrives and you have to pay the priority rate, then that was what you were going to have to pay anyway, so why complain to the seller when you could have requested that option in the first place... especially if you feel that option is wrong.

On the flip side of that coin, I as a seller have to back up my packaging (which I always have by the way ;) ) to protect the contents in case the box is opened. If a over zealous postal employee tears into it and messes up a book, then I have to replace it. Hate that it happened, but no biggie.

I think the restrictions of media mail on comics due to "advertising" is ridiculous... especially in relation to items over a year old. If ALL advertising is considered valid from items over 2, 5, 10, 50 years old... then I want to buy some of those items at that advertised price. (shrug)

99% of us want that cheaper option on shipping since we know the majority of books we buy are basically worthless. If you want to pay for priority and the "safety" it provides... then ask for priority mail before you buy from the seller.

1pbcb_zpscab555e5.jpg

1pbcl_zps963a4b1f.jpg

Unfortunately, when you use the PO's service you have to abide by their rules. How you feel about doesn't really matter.

So next time you buy from anyone Speedy... make sure to request only Priority Mail Service instead of any other. :foryou:

I personally don't want to pay $15 boxed shipping for five midgrade Marvel Two in One issues :foryou:

Actually if you use Regional Priority mail the rate is closer to $8.00. (from NY to KNOXVILLE $7.48). No one likes to pay a higher rate but that is the sign of the times.

As for using priority materials. I never cut up new USPS stuff, It's not really suitable for most books anyway, it's too thin. But I have plenty of old cardboards I've received that was from USPS mailers and I do hate to just toss the boxes I get. If I DO reuse it, I put a note on the cardboard, that it's previously been mailed and I'm recycling.

Doesn't matter on the previously used boxes. I had a package arrive last year that clearly contained used Priority boxes, as the old mailing label was on one of the boards. The postal inspector still marked it for Priority rate, as the disclaimer on the board makes it clear this cannot be used for anything but Priority shipping.

These are used in priority boxes. I don't think I've ever used anything, even a free priority label in a media package...just in priority, but I just wouldn't cut up a new box.

Oh, I understand. I tried to contest the charges, and was informed Priority boxes are not to be used for anything other than Priority mail, whether used or not. The post master pointed to the disclaimer on one of the boxes, and that's all she wrote.

I have a REAL problem with the PO stating that we can't use "used" boxes as packing material. Do the really want more landfills of unused cardboard material when it can be used till it falls apart?

I've made it clear in my sales threads that I like media mail use (right or wrong) and that if the buyer wants to pay for the more expensive priority rate, then they can and it will be shipped that way. Also if it (media mail) arrives and you have to pay the priority rate, then that was what you were going to have to pay anyway, so why complain to the seller when you could have requested that option in the first place... especially if you feel that option is wrong.

On the flip side of that coin, I as a seller have to back up my packaging (which I always have by the way ;) ) to protect the contents in case the box is opened. If a over zealous postal employee tears into it and messes up a book, then I have to replace it. Hate that it happened, but no biggie.

I think the restrictions of media mail on comics due to "advertising" is ridiculous... especially in relation to items over a year old. If ALL advertising is considered valid from items over 2, 5, 10, 50 years old... then I want to buy some of those items at that advertised price. (shrug)

99% of us want that cheaper option on shipping since we know the majority of books we buy are basically worthless. If you want to pay for priority and the "safety" it provides... then ask for priority mail before you buy from the seller.

1pbcb_zpscab555e5.jpg

1pbcl_zps963a4b1f.jpg

Unfortunately, when you use the PO's service you have to abide by their rules. How you feel about doesn't really matter.

So next time you buy from anyone Speedy... make sure to request only Priority Mail Service instead of any other. :foryou:

I personally don't want to pay $15 boxed shipping for five midgrade Marvel Two in One issues :foryou:

Actually if you use Regional Priority mail the rate is closer to $8.00. (from NY to KNOXVILLE $7.48). No one likes to pay a higher rate but that is the sign of the times.

Unfortunately, yes.

I wonder if the post office would be better off servicing the lower tier services (Media Mail, First Class Mail) which then wouldn't have as tight a delivery time. It would be cheaper on customers leading to potentially more use, while cutting down on the burden of having to inspect packages which has to eat up many hours in the day.

Nahhhhhh! Better they keep it the way it is.

1pbcb_zpscab555e5.jpg

1pbcl_zps963a4b1f.jpg

That's doable... but when double boxing, the Flat Rate Priority box is the safest ship. Esp for slabs... but $8 is a lot cheaper hm

There are different size Regional Mail boxes. The Regional A's fit nicely into the Regional B's...

and I can't think of another way to say that, so don't you dare :shy:

I thought the Region As were for loading and unloading only.

And down go the racy pulps again in Mixed...

I don't quite understand that whole thing. Since when are paperbacks, pulps?

Aren't pulps larger size?

Or am I missing something?

Edited by skypinkblu

And more importantly... can we ship them media mail lol

:foryou:

What was censored was even more innocent than that. Check the thread in CG regarding thread locking in sales forums to see the cover that was removed.

That's doable... but when double boxing, the Flat Rate Priority box is the safest ship. Esp for slabs... but $8 is a lot cheaper hm

I would prefer to use my own boxes but you cannot with priority to get a reasonable rate. Anyway, I am sure if you use the bigger box you could double box it.

Honestly, I wish the post office would offer a middle tier rate. The parcel post rate is just a few cents lower than priority rate. It is rather silly to offer it at all.

Here's the box sizes they offer: https://store.usps.com/store/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=subcatMSS_RegionalRate&categoryNavIds=catGetMailingShippingSupplies%3AsubcatMSS_RegionalRate

You can price out where you send the most items to using the shipping calculator to see if it saves you money.

Honestly, I wish the post office would offer a middle tier rate. The parcel post rate is just a few cents lower than priority rate. It is rather silly to offer it at all.

I agree. And sometimes, Parcel Post is slightly more expensive compared to Priority.

But when you employ over 574,000 workers and operate over 200,000 (+) vehicles (2011 audit numbers), you maintain this lumbering monster atmosphere because it is so hard to determine "streamlined" approaches when trying to involve all those assets. Especially to justify their existence. Here is an incredible number when it comes to its cost impacts.

"The USPS operates the largest civilian vehicle fleet in the world, with an estimated 218,684 vehicles, the majority of which are the easily identified Chevrolet/Grumman LLV (Long-Life Vehicle), and the newer Ford/Utilimaster FFV (Flex-Fuel Vehicle), originally also referred to as the "CRV" (Carrier Route Vehicle). For every penny increase in the national average price of gasoline, the USPS spends an extra $8 million per year to fuel its fleet."

No wonder why it can never financially rightsize itself.

Uh Oh This Could be a Slippery Slope

Anyone else have a problem/concern with this? It does go back to buyers can choose whether to give their money to someone, but these type of "Chance Listings" (as ebay calls them) are rife for sketchiness.

40 boxes costing $200 each = $8000

1 Winner gets $1500 worth of slabbs

39 losers get ???? worth of raw comics?

Im betting it doesnt add up to $8,000 retail (or otherwise)

I think the seller needs to be pretty explicit with what the "loser" boxes will have in them. And this one doesnt...

Again it goes back to sellers can choose where to spend their money... but this one is a slippery slope as opposed to other Mystery Box offerings which were more of the "get lots of stuff on the cheap as long as you dont mind not knowing exactly what you are getting"

Edited by Miraclemet

I wasn't against Mystery boxes when it was brought up previously but a lot more are popping up and the prices are getting pretty high. More chance of butthurt :eek:

I think as long as the contents justify the price its fine, my worry is with the "grand prize" approach this one is taking.

I sold three mystery boxes with very specific deliverables

1 CGC slab with a GPA greater than $45 + at least $150 retail of HCs & TPBs for $100

contents were variable in content, not value.

when you start varying value it gets sticky.

I think the seller should state the estimated value of the other 39 boxes.

I dont project him selling all 40, which according to his rules will invalidate the entire thread.

[EDIT: Seller noted that 39 other boxes will have at least 5 books and be worth between $20-100 total per box]

Edited by Miraclemet

I dont project him selling all 40, which according to his rules will invalidate the entire thread.

I didn't want to derail his thread, but I don't understand if it's limited to 40 or 50.

Limited to 40 Participants!

*I will give until Monday at midnight for all spots to fill up!

*If 40 Spots fill before Monday night at midnight I will open only 10 more spots.

*If all 40 spots are not filled the thread is null and void.

Seems like it's limited to 50 (40+10).

I didn't want to derail his thread, but I don't understand if it's limited to 40 or 50.

Limited to 40 Participants!

*I will give until Monday at midnight for all spots to fill up!

*If 40 Spots fill before Monday night at midnight I will open only 10 more spots.

*If all 40 spots are not filled the thread is null and void.

Seems like it's limited to 50 (40+10).

agreed, plus every additional box sold over 40 decreases one of the original buyers odds right? A 1/40 change is better than a 1/50...He gets more money, just adds 10 more raw boxes without increasing the size of the "prize"

Anyone else have a problem/concern with this? It does go back to buyers can choose whether to give their money to someone, but these type of "Chance Listings" (as ebay calls them) are rife for sketchiness.

I think the seller needs to be pretty explicit with what the "loser" boxes will have in them. And this one doesnt...

Again it goes back to sellers can choose where to spend their money... but this one is a slippery slope as opposed to other Mystery Box offerings which were more of the "get lots of stuff on the cheap as long as you dont mind not knowing exactly what you are getting"

This is a (most likely illegal) lottery. It is nothing more than gambling. And it is a huge can of butthurt waiting to be unleashed. At least no one has bit yet. The funny thing about these is why some potential buyers can't see through the hustle. If the books were any good, they could sell them in an ordinary fashion. :ohnoez:

This is a (most likely illegal) lottery. It is nothing more than gambling. And it is a huge can of butthurt waiting to be unleashed. At least no one has bit yet. The funny thing about these is why some potential buyers can't see through the hustle. If the books were any good, they could sell them in an ordinary fashion. :ohnoez:

Sean shoots & scores! :winnah: