• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Why post the :takeit: and then back out anyway.

Think before you buy dude :makepoint:

I can get carried away as well as the next guy, but if I do, then thats it, I bought it, my fault, they are my books now.

:foryou:

Because his sales threads are filled with trigger happy :ohnoez: I can't wait for someone to jump the gun on a really high ticket book. :popcorn:

:devil:

Yeah, trigger happy. Been looking for that Steranko for a while. I didn't think much of it as people had 'given' take its to other folks when one person won it first and one or more folks wanted it too. Not strictly analogous but seemed in the ball park enough. (shrug)

It's not a huge deal. You did something we don't do in sales threads here. You should just PM Dale and work it out with him privately. :foryou:

Yeah, trigger happy. Been looking for that Steranko for a while. I didn't think much of it as people had 'given' take its to other folks when one person won it first and one or more folks wanted it too. Not strictly analogous but seemed in the ball park enough. (shrug)

It's not a huge deal. You did something we don't do in sales threads here. You should just PM Dale and work it out with him privately. :foryou:

Thanks, it's still a book I'm after so I edited things to retract letting someone else claim it. It's not like I'm not already going to be paying him a tidy sum for my stack!

I thought I saw someone else do this earlier in the thread,

I did it because I saw someone else do it

:facepalm:

So some rules are written. Let's call these 'rules'. Some rules are unwritten. Let's call these 'norms'. People learn norms by observation, absorption, and emulation.

I emulated behavior I had seen. Seemed acceptable. Was approved by seller. Someone else observed and emulated me. Seemed okay, he'd seen someone else do it. Then we learn, it's not okay; indeed, it's not an accepted norm.

And now someone gets facepalmed for trying to follow what seemed like observable norms.

Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing, it seems to me. :P

I thought I saw someone else do this earlier in the thread,

I did it because I saw someone else do it

:facepalm:

So some rules are written. Let's call these 'rules'. Some rules are unwritten. Let's call these 'norms'. People learn norms by observation, absorption, and emulation.

I emulated behavior I had seen. Seemed acceptable. Was approved by seller. Someone else observed and emulated me. Seemed okay, he'd seen someone else do it. Then we learn, it's not okay; indeed, it's not an accepted norm.

And now someone gets facepalmed for trying to follow what seemed like observable norms.

Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing, it seems to me. :P

We're on the Internet here. If the worst you get is a facepalming, you're in pretty good shape. lol

I don't know that I'd see them as the same thing. One scenario is just changing the name of who the sold book is going to, your scenario puts the book back on the market (in dales thread).

Not the end of the world, but definitely something one should have ones with dale about before doing. Typically you'd see the seller post in their thread "book X is available again"

I don't know that I'd see them as the same thing. One scenario is just changing the name of who the sold book is going to, your scenario puts the book back on the market (in dales thread).

Not the end of the world, but definitely something one should have ones with dale about before doing. Typically you'd see the seller post in their thread "book X is available again"

Thanks, that makes sense. I do think I've seen that "book x is available again" post in some other thread. I'm happy to keep this one--a nice addition to my growing Steranko covers.

My :facepalm: was made in a larger context...this logic of 'doing something because someone else is doing it' has been used a lot aroun... oh, forget it.

If you look at my post, I wasn't even facepalming you. But now that you have engaged me, let me ask you...If you were indeed looking for at least a VF+ copy of X-Men 51 for your collection, why did you hammer down the 'take it' on Dale's VF- copy?

edit: OOOH...trigger happiness...read back and got it...

Edited by edowens71

SO here's a question...

is it worth putting together a "common practices" text that we can have people use in PMs when they want to convey standard operating procedures that aren't guideline enforceable ones that fall under the existing "welcome to the marketplace here are the rules" text we all know?

I think it would have lots of qualifiers (like "sales typically...." or "most sellers....") but it might make for a more standard format for giving non-rule violation feedback while keeping it out of the sales thread (thus keeping it carp free) and also helping to protect people from themselves...

worth thinking about?

Some I could think of:

1. Higher dollar raw books (over $100) are typically expected to either state a grade, or provide high resolution scans. Photos, or low res scans for lower dollar raws are fine (if a grade is not possible).

2. If a back cover scan is not provided, it is expected that any issues (staining, water damage, tears, writing) be disclosed by the seller at time of listing.

SO here's a question...

is it worth putting together a "common practices" text that we can have people use in PMs when they want to convey standard operating procedures that aren't guideline enforceable ones that fall under the existing "welcome to the marketplace here are the rules" text we all know?

I think it would have lots of qualifiers (like "sales typically...." or "most sellers....") but it might make for a more standard format for giving non-rule violation feedback while keeping it out of the sales thread (thus keeping it carp free) and also helping to protect people from themselves...

worth thinking about?

Some I could think of:

1. Higher dollar raw books (over $100) are typically expected to either state a grade, or provide high resolution scans. Photos, or low res scans for lower dollar raws are fine (if a grade is not possible).

2. If a back cover scan is not provided, it is expected that any issues (staining, water damage, tears, writing) be disclosed by the seller at time of listing.

this is what I was referring to yesterday. I think there are some things buyers expect on the boards and #1 is a big one

SO here's a question...

worth thinking about?

Some I could think of:

this is what I was referring to yesterday. I think there are some things buyers expect on the boards and #1 is a big one

but at the same time, if its a "trusted seller" buyers have no qualms with putting up an :takeit: regardless of the photo quality...

thus why its better as part of a set of guidelines rather than baked into the rules.