• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

If you're talking about showing some grace, Transplant, with whom I have no beef, didn't exactly display much grace when he raised this specter. But it seems Dan is target of any judgment. Seems a bit imbalanced in the context of this string of posts.

Transplant didn't create the problem.

I just grabbed some sweet books from my LCS and I was thinking about quickly clearing them out by offering them as an auction. Problem is I'll only do it if I can have people PM me their top bid and I'll bump the current bid based on the others PM bids and bids I get in the thread itself. I know this format depends on my trustworthiness but I think I've shown I can be trusted over the last 10 years. Is this auction format against the rules? I know there will need to be a ton of explanations and rules to have the entire thing be transparent but I think it's the only way to have a fair auction since a bunch of people don't like to hang around at the end of an auction time. Thoughts?
. Straight sale might be quicker, no? And if your math skills are proportional to your trustworthiness, I can only give you a 9 out of 10, Andrew. lol

I just grabbed some sweet books from my LCS and I was thinking about quickly clearing them out by offering them as an auction. Problem is I'll only do it if I can have people PM me their top bid and I'll bump the current bid based on the others PM bids and bids I get in the thread itself. I know this format depends on my trustworthiness but I think I've shown I can be trusted over the last 10 years. Is this auction format against the rules? I know there will need to be a ton of explanations and rules to have the entire thing be transparent but I think it's the only way to have a fair auction since a bunch of people don't like to hang around at the end of an auction time. Thoughts?

So you want to have an auction where the buyer bids and you bump their bids by increments, like on eBay?

After reading how badly a simple take it by PM thingy went...I think it wouldn't be worth the pain you'd suffer.

I also think the fun of the auctions here are "live" bidding. I just did one and I enjoyed it, but if I did it over, I'd probably limit it to a day.

If you're talking about showing some grace, Transplant, with whom I have no beef, didn't exactly display much grace when he raised this specter. But it seems Dan is target of any judgment. Seems a bit imbalanced in the context of this string of posts.

He just felt inclined to raise it again. Not sure what was achieved with that. I don't have a dog in the fight and am not interested in picking sides, but whatever coals were left to cool just got fanned by him. Anyhow, not my issue in the end, so peace out to both folks. :foryou:

He just felt inclined to raise it again. Not sure what was achieved with that. I don't have a dog in the fight and am not interested in picking sides, but whatever coals were left to cool just got fanned by him. Anyhow, not my issue in the end, so peace out to both folks. :foryou:

To be fair, Dan brought forth his manner of dealing with PM deals as an example of how he does it and how he thinks works best....then Transplant responded...being the one person who knows better than anyone else that Dan's system is far from perfect or ideal.

So you want to have an auction where the buyer bids and you bump their bids by increments, like on eBay?

After reading how badly a simple take it by PM thingy went...I think it wouldn't be worth the pain you'd suffer.

I also think the fun of the auctions here are "live" bidding. I just did one and I enjoyed it, but if I did it over, I'd probably limit it to a day.

It does sound like it would border on more work then it's worth but there are only so many people online around when an auction closes. Most other auction you can post your max bid and you know you will only pay a bit more then the lower bid. We do not have a way to get around this limitation so I find auctions end much lower then direct sales. After thinking about it this evening I'll drop the idea and avoid the headache.

To be fair, Dan brought forth his manner of dealing with PM deals as an example of how he does it and how he thinks works best....then Transplant responded...being the one person who knows better than anyone else that Dan's system is far from perfect or ideal.

I know if I wait long enough, I won't have to type out the post that you are inevitably going to make. Get out of my head.

You continue to say I don't or didn't care, but that's just not true. By continuing to say it people start to believe it.

If you really mean that, then really make a real apology, one without qualification. See what Revat posted. Swallow your pride, do it, and make it stay done, no more snide responses about it, and then anything more will be on Tranny, not you. Try to understand where Tranny would have been put out, and make the effort to see things through his eyes. You don't have to agree. But acknowledging that someone was upset by the situation you created, without saying "I apologize, BUT here's where you were wrong...." goes a long way towards mending fences.

Here, I'll go first: Dan, I'm sorry if you feel I have portrayed you unfairly in this discussion, or if I was unfair to you in the course of the original situation. That wasn't my intention, but if that's what you think, my intentions don't really matter, whether I agree with your conclusions or not. I'm only trying to get you to see things from another perspective, and working to avoid a similar situation going forward.

I'm not your enemy, and am really trying to help, but I understand if you don't see it that way.

Thank you for the clearing up your intentions. I gladly accept your apology. I said some things to you out of anger that turned personal to which I am sorry for. I tend to see red when my honor gets called into question. (And being married to a Greek woman doesn't help lol talk about having to be defensive!)

I will TRY from here on out to not take criticism so personal. Get's frustrating when you get involved in doing good here, and it feels like it all gets washed away from one incident.

As far as Mike's apology... agree to disagree :foryou:

:facepalm:

No, Dan, that's the heart of the entire problem, and WHY your "honor" is being called into question. If you want to "agree to disagree", then your honor will continue to be questioned, and you will not escape it until you decide to have some empathy. You have just rejected the whole point of the entire conversation.

Most unfortunate.

Oh well, I tried. Complete waste of my time, but I tried.

Good luck.

No, Dan, that's the heart of the entire problem, and WHY your "honor" is being called into question. If you want to "agree to disagree", then your honor will continue to be questioned, and you will not escape it until you decide to have some empathy. You have just rejected the whole point of the entire conversation.

Most unfortunate.

Good luck.

Seriously?? How do I not take your posts personally? Please change the record, it seems to be broken. Who are you to decide if my apology is genuine or not? It's up to the person recieving the apology to decide. But of course since I disagree with you, I'm wrong. You must have a really long stick to reach the dead horse from way up there on yours?? Let it go. In the 113 page thread at the end we were all talking about music and here you are 15 pages later reminding everyone how wrong I was. The lecturing is getting old. You preach to everyone else to learn to take constructive criticism, maybe you should look in the mirror.

Now please get the last word by saying I don't get it and how you feel sorry for me :blahblah:

kudo's for trying to get everyone to be sheep and think like you though and please don't waste any more of your time on me.

Oh.... and these remarks arent personal, im just trying to make you see how your unjustly treating people so you can go forward :foryou:

Most unfortunate.

Good luck.

Seriously?? How do I not take your posts personally? Please change the record, it seems to be broken. Who are you to decide if my apology is genuine or not? It's up to the person recieving the apology to decide. But of course since I disagree with you, I'm wrong. You must have a really long stick to reach the dead horse from way up there on yours?? Let it go. In the 113 page thread at the end we were all talking about music and here you are 15 pages later reminding everyone how wrong I was. The lecturing is getting old. You preach to everyone else to learn to take constructive criticism, maybe you should look in the mirror.

Now please get the last word by saying I don't get it and how you feel sorry for me :blahblah:

kudo's for trying to get everyone to be sheep and think like you though and please don't waste any more of your time on me.

Oh.... and these remarks arent personal, im just trying to make you see how your unjustly treating people so you can go forward :foryou:

As comix4fun said, it's tough trying to get empathy out of a stone.

Your lack of self-awareness is bold.

And, for future reference...an apology is genuine when the actions that follow support, rather than contradict, it.

"I'm sorry" followed by "you're still going on about this?! Dude, I humbly apologized, get over it!" later on down the line is not, by definition, a genuine apology, showing genuine contrition.

It's not rocket science, nor is it something only the "recipient" can determine, and most people understand this.

As I said, I tried to help you, but you only see it as an attack, me telling everyone how "wrong" you are...because, again, low self-awareness.

Good luck.

:popcorn: