• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Greed.

Low-balls in charity threads.

Zero credibility sellers who find buyers.

Nutjob boardies whose money and books are valid currency.

Greed.

:(

I'm not sure if I am in the group, I hope I'm not. I hope you don't think I am.

Cool books.

touche' my friend

An excellent example of why there are rules & standards for sales threads...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7274014#Post7274014

Hot noob on noob action. Wow, that thread is a mess.

x42pux.jpg

Yeah, what the hell? Between the HOS vote and that sales thread the noobs must have stocks in pitchforks. :eyeroll:

Greed.

Greed.

You're new, and I'm glad you got out of the deal. There was a reason why you didn't see a bunch of veterans jumping into that thread. They've been down this road before and aren't willing to take the risk.

Also, the seller's instant knowledge of the rules and the mechanics of posting and selling, and the speed at which his pics came up lead one to question whether this might be a shill for a HOS/PL or previously banned member.

Greed.

Greed.

Cool books.

touche' my friend

I didn't really mean anything by that. Sometimes it's worth taking a chance. I know that I've gotten very lucky on Ebay a couple of times taking a chance :)

Greed.

Greed.

You're new, and I'm glad you got out of the deal. There was a reason why you didn't see a bunch of veterans jumping into that thread. They've been down this road before and aren't willing to take the risk.

Also, the seller's instant knowledge of the rules and the mechanics of posting and selling, and the speed at which his pics came up lead one to question whether this might be a shill for a HOS/PL or previously banned member.

Greed.

Greed.

Cool books.

touche' my friend

I didn't really mean anything by that. Sometimes it's worth taking a chance. I know that I've gotten very lucky on Ebay a couple of times taking a chance :)

Ditch/Logan - Thanks!

For the record:

If you look at the entire thread, I did question the seller right away then walked away to Vintage (Roy's thread) and lurked around Dales. When I came back to letsdeal25 thread I noticed that the sales thread had jumped to 5 pages and he had shown proof etc and people had sort of given him the approval etc. or at least that's what i had read.

when hulk 181 comes up, well i could not resist that moment of temptation. I did see the risk (very high) but since someone else had already taken *EDIT a book earlier I did not feel like the "odd" man out (or at least the only one). Especially since I had already sold my copy (oddly enough to HusTruck a few days earlier) I felt the void I needed to fill.

I had taken a risk a few months ago on a action252 from a new member, and while the books wasn't exactly as described, the overall deal was a good one from my point of view. I do believe in high risk, high reward, and i do it with the understanding that i may get burned and know full well not to complain or whine about it afterwards. I am an adult and accept responsibility for my lack of judgement.

To his credit, Justin aka Harveyswick, aka my Foggy Nelson (JK Justin) talked me out of it. A few more folks let me see what my ego/pride were blinding me from. So then I decided to walk away.

At this point I just want to conclude my transactions with Hustruck and move on. I cannot cancel that transaction as I agreed upon them earlier before all of this. In his defense, he had already purchased (and paid) for one book from me, and based my decision to sell to him on that and not everything else.

Edited by jsilverjanet

To his credit, Justin aka Harveyswick, aka my Foggy Nelson (JK Justin) talked me out of it. A few more folks let me see what my ego/pride were blinding me from. So then I decided to walk away.

:acclaim: and :eyeroll:

I'm still mad at you for buying that Sandman

:acclaim: and :eyeroll:

I'm still mad at you for buying that Sandman

For that one, I give you:

:acclaim: and :whee:

I hope at some point we reflect on what we really want the sales area to be.

Are we trying to create a marketplace that competes with other auction/sales sites? If so, we will constantly have to contend with scammers whose only purpose here is profit.

Or are we trying to create a community where respected members are rewarded by being able to buy and sell without fees and hassle? If so, maybe we should continue to think about who is allowed to buy and sell, and how that privilege is earned.

Just my 2c for the day.

Are we trying to create a marketplace that competes with other auction/sales sites? If so, we will constantly have to contend with scammers whose only purpose here is profit.

Or are we trying to create a community where respected members are rewarded by being able to buy and sell without fees and hassle? If so, maybe we should continue to think about who is allowed to buy and sell, and how that privilege is earned.

Just my 2c for the day.

I agree with all of this. This place has always given me a warm and fuzzy feeling and I want to protect that. Unfortunately, so far we seem to have the best 'system' in place. Every net allows something to slip through.

As long as members continue to put in the effort to keep this place on the straight and narrow, it's going to continue to stay straight and narrow (no system is 100%).

I've been a proponent of phone verification to join this place for a long time now.

It's can probably be applied quite easily and once implemented is trouble free.

It would certainly put a dent into dirtbag anonymity in case something every goes really sour.

I've been a proponent of phone verification to join this place for a long time now.

It would certainly put a dent into dirtbag anonymity in case something every goes really sour.

Yes. Um, yes. Yes, I would like to sell Books. Thank you.

ba-tin-cup-phone.jpg

Just my 2c for the day.

This is why I started buying here and haven't bought off eBay since 2009.

Just my 2c for the day.

I agree with all of this. This place has always given me a warm and fuzzy feeling and I want to protect that. Unfortunately, so far we seem to have the best 'system' in place. Every net allows something to slip through.

As long as members continue to put in the effort to keep this place on the straight and narrow, it's going to continue to stay straight and narrow (no system is 100%).

Phone, CC or small fee would be fine with me.

This place has always given me a warm and fuzzy feeling and I want to protect that.

I've never had a warm and fuzzy feeling in my life. Please explain? :baiting:

lol

It's kind of like what the inside of that mask feels like on your face.

:insane:

Phone, CC or small fee would be fine with me.

I like the CC or phone idea because it physically ties you to something rather than just an anonymous email address.

It would provide a form of discouragement for someone to come on and just spew anything they wanted.