• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

For anyone that is keeping up with the Neeley situation, his next court date is scheduled for 03/06/2014, and he is currently in the Union County Jail so I'm not sure if he was denied bail (I hope so with his history) or he just couldn't afford to post it. The final list of charges is Attempted First Degree Murder, Felony Kidnapping, and misdemeanor tampering with an emergency Communication (preventing her from calling 911) Sadly I have no news on Ms. Neeley, though I do hope she is getting better and I hope and pray that those poor kids are safe and sound somewhere in a loving, caring home.

Gently:

I know I've been deterred from selling or buying from a lot of people because of the increase in sketchy sales threads on here in the past few months.

So when a sales thread has looked sketchy, you just didn't make a purchase.

First quote: Due to the increase of "sketchy sales threads," I do a lot less buying and selling from threads in general.

Second quote: I don't buy from sketchy threads.

If you want to take A.Romeo's post, in which he is trying to point out a negative consequence of sketchy threads beyond the immediate threat of getting ripped of in those threads, and turn it into evidence that everything's great, then we will indeed keep hashing out the same three silly points ad infinitum.

Dig?

This isn't a zero sum game; i.e. there are more sketchy sales threads, therefore I will be doing less total buying. When someone sells a book that interests me I use the same internal vetting process to determine if the seller is likely to be on the up-and-up that I have always done, whether that be here, on ebay, at a convention or wherever. I don't know if there really has been more scammers now than there ever were but those threads stick out like a sore thumb and are fairly easy to scroll past.

Also, there are plenty of these so-called "trusted, veteran" board members that have used their status to become negligent in their followthrough when it comes to sales, either through poor communication, extremely slow shipping, or inflating prices for less-experienced collectors. Length of membership is hardly an indicator of virtue.

Either way I'm fairly agnostic about implementing more rules. If that's what everyone wants then go for it. My purchasing behavior will be more or less the same.

Bullseye_Dialogue.png

:devil:

Okay, I can take a hint. I'm good now.

This may be a good time to take stock of what content belongs in a serious discussion of forum rules or Sales forum transgressions.

Should memes, jokes, insults and inane banter really be a part of this thread?

We need structured rules to regulate this thread.

Can we post some rules about the rules for adjusting the rules?

27319887d1347512186-beast-hunters-plans-new-beast-wars-machines-cartoon-toyline-guinness-brilliant.jpg

Someone asked me about CAP FREAK today. His early info I got from old-old-timers what they thought took place (and it was noted by the recent Probation Summary how many times he shows up in the HOS-PL).

No worries at all. It is totally okay to ask.

CAP FREAK was a kid that joined the forum when he was about 12-14 years old, though he represented himself as an adult. When it was discovered how young he was, the forum made an exception because it was felt it was refreshing to see someone of such a young age to be such a huge fan of the hobby. So many took him under their wing to guide and mold his collecting.

Well, he took advantage of this, and started having issues leading to multiple entries in the Probation List. Two things broke the trust of the boards leading to his HOS membership and banning.

1) He conducted a large sales thread that I was one of those burned by him where he offered many, many books - accepted payment - but sent nothing out to anyone.

2) Later on, Steve Borok (former CGC President) took him to a show to talk with him about this, and allowed him to stay in his room to save money. CAP FREAK thought it would be funny to change Steve's work cell voicemail greeting to "This is Steven Borok - PLEASE GO :censored: YOURSELF".

So it was not a good situation. Especially since some of the old-timers felt so bad for him, they would vote to get him off the PL and write it off as him being "a kid", and he would burn them again and be put back on the PL.

So very sad situation.

Even CAP FREAK tried the "I dare you to put me on the HOS-PL - I dare you" approach. It didn't end well for him.

:(

Is it fair to say that isn't he and many others who are on the HOS list reason why so many are leery of second chances or hesitant when one comes in showing signs of "odd" behavior

It definitely had an impact on trust when it comes to even a board member that had been around for a long while.

Someone asked me about CAP FREAK today. His early info I got from old-old-timers what they thought took place (and it was noted by the recent Probation Summary how many times he shows up in the HOS-PL).

No worries at all. It is totally okay to ask.

CAP FREAK was a kid that joined the forum when he was about 12-14 years old, though he represented himself as an adult. When it was discovered how young he was, the forum made an exception because it was felt it was refreshing to see someone of such a young age to be such a huge fan of the hobby. So many took him under their wing to guide and mold his collecting.

Well, he took advantage of this, and started having issues leading to multiple entries in the Probation List. Two things broke the trust of the boards leading to his HOS membership and banning.

1) He conducted a large sales thread that I was one of those burned by him where he offered many, many books - accepted payment - but sent nothing out to anyone.

2) Later on, Steve Borok (former CGC President) took him to a show to talk with him about this, and allowed him to stay in his room to save money. CAP FREAK thought it would be funny to change Steve's work cell voicemail greeting to "This is Steven Borok - PLEASE GO :censored: YOURSELF".

So it was not a good situation. Especially since some of the old-timers felt so bad for him, they would vote to get him off the PL and write it off as him being "a kid", and he would burn them again and be put back on the PL.

So very sad situation.

Even CAP FREAK tried the "I dare you to put me on the HOS-PL - I dare you" approach. It didn't end well for him.

What bugged me about this whole ordeal was how the "old timers" on here would support this fool, even giving him free vintage comics, almost like they were addicted to the notion of a kid liking their hobby. Anyway, this is just begging for a photo of Mr Creme Brulee.

144528.jpg.3cd15c456ccc518738a3bbc8e4c5592d.jpg

And why said HOS member can come in here and mock us, the rules, and his punishment with no repercussions.

Asking him questions, just puts him on the top. If you let him bump the thread himself too often, we'd have a legitimate complaint about the thread.

thank you for pointing this out how to prevent any legitimate complaints :)

No more bumping...got it (thumbs u

Proof you have yet to read the rules for selling in the forums here? The 1-bump-per-day, 3-bump maximum rule is right there in the list.

-slym

Hate to say it Slym... but this is broken daily, by both big and tall & short and small hm

What bugged me about this whole ordeal was how the "old timers" on here would support this fool, even giving him free vintage comics, almost like they were addicted to the notion of a kid liking their hobby. Anyway, this is just begging for a photo of Mr Creme Brulee.

I'm sure it was very innocent but it just seems weird.

And why said HOS member can come in here and mock us, the rules, and his punishment with no repercussions.

Asking him questions, just puts him on the top. If you let him bump the thread himself too often, we'd have a legitimate complaint about the thread.

thank you for pointing this out how to prevent any legitimate complaints :)

No more bumping...got it (thumbs u

Proof you have yet to read the rules for selling in the forums here? The 1-bump-per-day, 3-bump maximum rule is right there in the list.

Hate to say it Slym... but this is broken daily, by both big and tall & short and small hm

Yeah, but I bet those sellers know they are breaking a rule. Here, it sounds like a seller who didn't even know thet rule existed.

-slym

How are you so sure?

How are you so sure?

you're absolutely right. I don't know. :thumbsup:

ALARM SOUND...WE HAVE ANOTHER...RING RING RING

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7392987

That guy is doing it wrong. You are supposed to make it look too good to be true . . .

Come on, charging 14% over GPA? That IS too good to be true lol