• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Am I the only one who is extremely offended by these memes? Most of the responses since they've been posted have been... jokes?

Obviously I just got here, but in general it takes a lot to actually offend me. Memes, even of shooting Sean's avatar, wouldn't do it. (Sorry Sean, you know I love ya!!)

I halfway can see that until I think of all the animosity between the parties. This just isn't buddies goofing with each other. Like I said earlier, a ten year old would be a therapists office inside of ten minutes of developing something like that.

Rupp has made clear over and over his dislike of Sean and Logan and Dale Roberts and others. He makes creepy freakin memes over and over about us.

To be honest, after watching Rupp deflect, misdirect and flat out lie over these memes that you aren't offended by, I am actually a bit freaked out. A mentally normal person would just go away or at least offer up a half apology and move on. I don't know what he is capable of now. Seriously.

Still doesn't "offend" me. And I doubt we have to worry about Rupp grabbing a meat cleaver and paying these Boardies a visit.

I haven't looked at all the memes, partly 'cuz I don't care what each one is, and if there's terrible homophobia in there, that would bother me more. But it'd be more righteous indignation, not fear or offense.

Sounds a lot like those neighbors they interview on the news "He always seemed so quiet."

If I were the subject or you, I wouldn't begrudge you the right to feel however you want about something like that. I know I've been here almost 12 years and this isn't the kind of board I ever envisioned or ever wanted to be a part of.

lol But he doesn't seem so quiet!! He seems like a bit of a loudmouth who's a bit into himself, and likes to push buttons.

As for the kind of Boards we'd like to have, I'm with you. A little mostly-good-natured ribbing or :baiting: is cool. When you come in here and see people just going at each other, it's a real downer. But again, from The Usual Suspects as it were, I don't fear for anyone's life, or actually get offended.

Am I the only one who is extremely offended by these memes? Most of the responses since they've been posted have been... jokes?

Obviously I just got here, but in general it takes a lot to actually offend me. Memes, even of shooting Sean's avatar, wouldn't do it. (Sorry Sean, you know I love ya!!)

I halfway can see that until I think of all the animosity between the parties. This just isn't buddies goofing with each other. Like I said earlier, a ten year old would be a therapists office inside of ten minutes of developing something like that.

Rupp has made clear over and over his dislike of Sean and Logan and Dale Roberts and others. He makes creepy freakin memes over and over about us.

To be honest, after watching Rupp deflect, misdirect and flat out lie over these memes that you aren't offended by, I am actually a bit freaked out. A mentally normal person would just go away or at least offer up a half apology and move on. I don't know what he is capable of now. Seriously.

Still doesn't "offend" me. And I doubt we have to worry about Rupp grabbing a meat cleaver and paying these Boardies a visit.

I haven't looked at all the memes, partly 'cuz I don't care what each one is, and if there's terrible homophobia in there, that would bother me more. But it'd be more righteous indignation, not fear or offense.

Sounds a lot like those neighbors they interview on the news "He always seemed so quiet."

If I were the subject or you, I wouldn't begrudge you the right to feel however you want about something like that. I know I've been here almost 12 years and this isn't the kind of board I ever envisioned or ever wanted to be a part of.

I agree with comix on this. This is not what I envisioned. Seems we are all in the minority as there are 1000's of boardies, and only a handful have been posting on this topic the last few days.

But like Pat and a few others have said, I am not one to just watch people be bullied from EITHER side.

Most either don't want to get involved or don't care. In my heart I hope Rupp comes on here and makes this right and the other guys can accept an apology and move on.

All this has got way out of hand.

^^ I can't stand the mob mentality here. And to side with someone when they are wrong, you need to be checking your own morals.

You wouldn't handle it here, where the actual rules regarding such things are in place?

Actually The Thing in the WC got a strike for accessing The Black Hands public PB & discussing the pics on the board.

So presuming the allegation is Rupp has violated 6 a) don't overlook 6 c) - I think both rules are being broken in this messy, stupid & embarrassing situation.

:foryou:

You mean after he posted links to his PB here, along with other insulting memes?

Perhaps you could provide some context as to which boardies were being murdered in effigy or wives rogered in the pics that Thing posted.

You know, apples to apples, so we don't make broad comparisons of very narrow fact patterns.

Edited by comix4fun

I have much worse stuff in my comic collection. I imagine most here do.

You've got comics where boardies are murdered in effigy with homophobic slurs as it's being committed and other comics where a boardie claims to have had sex with another boardies wife and fathered all of that boardies children? Might I suggest switching to Charltons?

:lol: pretty much.

I would have laughed if he had made family photo with my avatar mixed in there. Seriously.

Oh, and I do have many Charnalton's in my collection.

So if someone, who didn't like you and wasn't friends with you, created a pic of your family and asked how your wife and his kids were doing, insinuated that he was not only sleeping with your wife but also fathering your children you'd be ok with that? That doesn't cross any line?

If someone walked up to you and said that it wouldn't buy them a a five finger discount on a knuckle sammich?

I suppose if it was one of the bullying clowns from around here, I would say it was par for the course.

If I truly thought it was something of note, I would call the police and file a report. I wouldn't come on here and exacerbate the situation, or attempt to push anyone over the edge.

It is easy to see what is going on here.

So if someone made a meme representing your family, and all those vile and disgusting insinuations I already mentioned, you'd call the police?

You wouldn't handle it here, where the actual rules regarding such things are in place?

With a five finger discount on a knuckle sammich? Look at what you're writing and advocating. I'm pretty sure 'the rules' probably don't allow for either the knuckle sammiching of either myself of Bio-Rupp.

But the right person could figure that you are threatening me for thinking wrong. Maybe I'll be the next one banned for improper thought.

And, I have not seen it established that 'it' happened here.

I will share my somewhat warped sensibilities on this subject.

Private Messages

Group PM's with friends that discuss people who are mutually disliked by participants do nothing but hurt this place.

If you have "real" friends, I applaud you. If you have "real" enemies here, I feel sorry for you.

If you are discussing a boardie you dislike in a group PM, keep it private and don't refer to it on the boards publicly.

Memes

If you are creating a meme that targets someone, make it funny. If you are creating a meme that targets someone you consider an enemy, it must be funny & should avoid "personal" things but public persona on the boards is fair game.

If you are using someone's fake screen name to identify them in a generic pic, that seems ok.

If you are using someone's fake avatar to identify them in a meme, that seems ok.

If you are mixing uber violence & bigoted slurs into a meme targeting a board member, whether posted publicly or not. Apologize.

I have done memes on people who have enough pics here to qualify as "public domain"......but when they didn't laugh, I stopped doing it - I think that's a boundary I learned.

(shrug)

Also, here is my Logan family meme from his LTPC popcorn days...it was posted. If I owe Mrs Logan an apology, here it is. :foryou:

No apology necessary, you're not even a blip on my radar (shrug)

I will share my somewhat warped sensibilities on this subject.

Private Messages

Group PM's with friends that discuss people who are mutually disliked by participants do nothing but hurt this place.

If you have "real" friends, I applaud you. If you have "real" enemies here, I feel sorry for you.

If you are discussing a boardie you dislike in a group PM, keep it private and don't refer to it on the boards publicly.

Memes

If you are creating a meme that targets someone, make it funny. If you are creating a meme that targets someone you consider an enemy, it must be funny & should avoid "personal" things but public persona on the boards is fair game.

If you are using someone's fake screen name to identify them in a generic pic, that seems ok.

If you are using someone's fake avatar to identify them in a meme, that seems ok.

If you are mixing uber violence & bigoted slurs into a meme targeting a board member, whether posted publicly or not. Apologize.

I have done memes on people who have enough pics here to qualify as "public domain"......but when they didn't laugh, I stopped doing it - I think that's a boundary I learned.

(shrug)

Also, here is my Logan family meme from his LTPC popcorn days...it was posted. If I owe Mrs Logan an apology, here it is. :foryou:

lol Good set of rules, truly.

As for your Logan meme, you stopped short of taking genetic credit for he and his wife's offspring, so I think you're ok.

Most either don't want to get involved or don't care.
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to offend anyone and is not directed at anyone specifically.

From a completely outside perspective on the matter... no, I (and I'm sure a lot of others) don't want to get involved. It is what it is and is irrelevant to why a lot of people come to the boards. Some of you are taking it far more seriously than you should and others aren't taking it seriously enough. Plain and simple, if you don't feel like you want to deal with/talk to Rupp because of this then put him on ignore and let this topic die quietly. If you truly think he needs some sort of therapy then reach out to him and suggest it rationally. No one responds to accusations well whether they're guilty or innocent.

IMO it just looks like a whole lot of the same old tired cliques bickering back and forth, this time about something that was perhaps done in poor taste but didn't cause actual harm to anyone. And for anyone that wants to claim mental anguish, well... grow up you're an adult, get over it. These things weren't posted here, if you wanted to see them you had to make an effort to seek them out. Just saying. (shrug)2c

It looked like an erectile disfunction meme to me.

You're definitely a blip and now I'm furious :mad:

:jokealert:

Yeah - it is funny how humor works :foryou:

You're definitely a blip and now I'm furious :mad:

:jokealert:

Yeah - it is funny how humor works :foryou:

The difference is that I like you :P

Actually The Thing in the WC got a strike for accessing The Black Hands public PB & discussing the pics on the board.

So presuming the allegation is Rupp has violated 6 a) don't overlook 6 c) - I think both rules are being broken in this messy, stupid & embarrassing situation.

:foryou:

You mean after he posted links to his PB here, along with other insulting memes?

Perhaps you could provide some context as to which boardies were being murdered in effigy or wives rogered in the pics that Thing posted.

You know, apples to apples, so we don't make broad comparisons of very narrow fact patterns.

I responded only to your board rules comment - I shared my other thoughts on content in a subsequent post.

I don't have the time to sift through all of The_Thing's strikes :cry: ask TBH. (shrug)

You've got comics where boardies are murdered in effigy with homophobic slurs as it's being committed and other comics where a boardie claims to have had sex with another boardies wife and fathered all of that boardies children? Might I suggest switching to Charltons?

I would have laughed if he had made family photo with my avatar mixed in there. Seriously.

So if someone, who didn't like you and wasn't friends with you, created a pic of your family and asked how your wife and his kids were doing, insinuated that he was not only sleeping with your wife but also fathering your children you'd be ok with that? That doesn't cross any line?

If someone walked up to you and said that it wouldn't buy them a a five finger discount on a knuckle sammich?

I suppose if it was one of the bullying clowns from around here, I would say it was par for the course.

If I truly thought it was something of note, I would call the police and file a report. I wouldn't come on here and exacerbate the situation, or attempt to push anyone over the edge.

So if someone made a meme representing your family, and all those vile and disgusting insinuations I already mentioned, you'd call the police?

With a five finger discount on a knuckle sammich? Look at what you're writing and advocating. I'm pretty sure 'the rules' probably don't allow for either the knuckle sammiching of either myself of Bio-Rupp.

But the right person could figure that you are threatening me for thinking wrong. Maybe I'll be the next one banned for improper thought.

I'm advocating taking this to the mods. That's how you handle things here. Since it's an electronic medium I don't quite understand how you think you'd punch anyone here.

You're telling Logan to call the cops because someone insulting his wife and family and made a disgusting comment. Ok.....how would that be more effective than notifying the mods and outing the behavior as despicable?

I think you're smart enough to comprehend what I wrote but I will break it down again.

Given that I mentioned if some person spoke to you in person, and insulted you in this way in person, that you'd have every right to react in a way commensurate with the severity of the insult in person...I think you'd have to be incredibly poor at reading comprehension to switch all of the parties around into such a pretzel given that you are the one being given free reign to react to an insult as you see fit. Since this is a message board and not in person, you'd have to be incredibly thick to conflate the example, the parties, and the meaning.

The fighting, the arguing, the sniping, they all happened here.

Read Rupp's non-denial-denial.....he's conspicuous in his non-denial that those PM to others included those images. He tap danced around it so loudly you'd have to be intentionally not trying to hear it to miss it..

Look at what you're diminishing, dismissing, and ignoring. The broad issue of how distasteful and inhumane these images are, because you want to ride the "technicality train".

If you can't agree that people should not be treated this way, in any format, then there's not much for us to discuss.

so is the end result the group (targeted by the memes) is looking for is for Rupp to admit the memes were his and apologize for them or is the group that was offended looking for more aka ban/strike for Rupp?

I agree with comix on this. This is not what I envisioned. Seems we are all in the minority as there are 1000's of boardies, and only a handful have been posting on this topic the last few days.

This is indeed out of hand. What is to be accomplished by having more boardies come in and post their thoughts on the subject? Moreover, what is going to be accomplished by the present minority continuing on and on with this here in the marketplace general discussion forum? This doesn't need to be tried in the court of public opinion. There doesn't need to be a vote on the matter among other boardies. The parties who feel so strongly threatened or offended should present their case to Arch/the mods that Rupp has violated the forum guidelines (Rule 6a) with respect to threatening/harassing/abusive material, and he can present his defense. Why continue discussing this here? Continuing on, and on, and on here like this doesn't seem to be "handling" anything. 2c

I'm advocating taking this to the mods. That's how you handle things here. Since it's an electronic medium I don't quite understand how you think you'd punch anyone here.

You're telling Logan to call the cops because someone insulting his wife and family and made a disgusting comment. Ok.....how would that be more effective than notifying the mods and outing the behavior as despicable?

I think you're smart enough to comprehend what I wrote but I will break it down again.

Given that I mentioned if some person spoke to you in person, and insulted you in this way in person, that you'd have every right to react in a way commensurate with the severity of the insult in person...I think you'd have to be incredibly poor at reading comprehension to switch all of the parties around into such a pretzel given that you are the one being given free reign to react to an insult as you see fit. Since this is a message board and not in person, you'd have to be incredibly thick to conflate the example, the parties, and the meaning.

The fighting, the arguing, the sniping, they all happened here.

Read Rupp's non-denial-denial.....he's conspicuous in his non-denial that those PM to others included those images. He tap danced around it so loudly you'd have to be intentionally not trying to hear it to miss it..

Look at what you're diminishing, dismissing, and ignoring. The broad issue of how distasteful and inhumane these images are, because you want to ride the "technicality train".

If you can't agree that people should not be treated this way, in any format, then there's not much for us to discuss.

:applause:

This is indeed out of hand. What is to be accomplished by having more boardies come in and post their thoughts on the subject? Moreover, what is going to be accomplished by the present minority continuing on and on with this here in the marketplace general discussion forum? This doesn't need to be tried in the court of public opinion. There doesn't need to be a vote on the matter among other boardies. The parties who feel so strongly threatened or offended should present their case to Arch/the mods that Rupp has violated the forum guidelines (Rule 6a) with respect to threatening/harassing/abusive material, and he can present his defense. Why continue discussing this here? Continuing on, and on, and on here like this doesn't seem to be "handling" anything. 2c

If I had to guess the length of the discussion comes from the "parse and tap dance" that's been going on from the originator of these foul images.

I have a feeling had he not taken the tack he did that I would not have been forced to see those screen caps that I just saw posted here.

The additional length of the discussion seems to focus around a debate between the truly outraged/nauseated and the "it's not so bad/man up/diminish" crowd. They are at impasse where empathy meets apathy.

This is why someone, that you dislike much more than me, likely wouldn't bother to apologize to you.

:whistle: