• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Celebration Authenticators

11 posts in this topic

So, it seems at Star Wars Celebration, there will be 'Authenticators' attaching hologram stickers to anything that the celebrities sign. This is in order to prevent forgeries and such. How are the facilitators going to handle this? Have you guys worked it out with the Topps Authenticators to not sticker comics and such, or will CGC accept the stickers along with the signatures when a CGC facilitator witnesses the signing? Just curious to know how this will work out and what to avoid. Asking, as I plan to get some stuff signed this year.

I know some people will not want one of these guys attaching a sticker really quick and then have CGC downgrade it due to the sticker. If CGC allows the sticker with the autograph, then I am all for it. As the stickers are pretty cool hologram ones, but.... 

Here's the link:

Star Wars Authenticators

This same type thing happened a few years ago with Celebrity Authentics.  I may have the con or celebrity wrong, but seems like CA required holograms be affixed to anything signed by Brandon Routh at Dragon Con, including comics signed for SS.  Needless to say the grade on any comics that were signed and graded took a hit.  Ultimately CGC was able to work things out with CA so that now the hologram itself goes on the SS label along with the identification number.  Hopefully something similar can be worked out for Star Wars Celebration, or at the very least the holograms are not required if you do not want them.

Did you already purchase your signature? I know Mark Hammil and Felicity Jones are 'Sold Out'! Which boggles the mind for me. You will have potentially 120,000 people at $200 a pop and you have already sold out? Did they set aside 100 tickets for them? They never did this before and now I and others may be left out.

PS Kevlar, Par2ch, at what booths will you be located? 

The original restrictions were no more than three items for each visit to a celebrity. It was then raised to 5 for the big names. The 'minor' or voice actors were allowing no more than 10 per visit. I know the guys were busting their butts throughout the event to get stuff signed. I did my best to assist on Saturday. It ended up being easier to get the A-list signatures than the B-list. You could walk right up and get a signing, no questions asked with a VIP badge. The Topps people were stopping everybody for the others. So, imagine there need 120 signatures for actor and you can only get 5 done at a time. The lines are 2 hours long, and you have to jump back in line to get another 5 signed. There were no back room signings. It was all done on the floor, the hard way. It was interesting to watch these guys work. 

On Saturday, Sam Witwer never got to his 2pm signing group. He was still half-way on his 10am group when they capped it at 4pm. He was just too friendly. Others were just late or backed-up. They did not always have a booth for each actor. Some actors would share a table for signings, but just one at a time. So, if actor A gets slow, it pushes everything back for actor B who comes in afterwards. I know there were quite a few refunds given out. 

In the end the 'authentication' that was offered by Topps, you could just said no when it was offered, not a problem. I know Asmat85 was there. Sorry I never met up with you. My Friday and Saturdays were slammed with family, panels, and signatures. A good weekend.

The Facilitator job is far from glamorous, but they got it all done and in good order! Hats off to you guys!

On 4/17/2017 at 11:52 AM, Par2ch said:

We didnt have booths, Torrey, Joe Pierson and myself were RUNNING AROUND THURSDAY-SATURDAY with our witnesses getting stuff done even with the RIDICULOUS limitation and restrictions placed last min by Topps. 

The 3 items per person was pretty awful. Gave all of us some time to hang out in line I guess but still awful