• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the Average Page Quality of Bronze Age Comic Books?

4 posts in this topic

Here's a question:

What do you think the average page quality is for Bronze Age books?

1) White Pages

2) OW to W

3) OW

4) C to OW

I would think the average is OW to W.

BronzeJohnny

The answer may depend on whether one considers early or late Bronze. I have my books purchased from '71-'76, and again from '81-'85, and of the issues I've had encapsulated, most from '71-'73 have been OW, whereas later issues have been graded at OW/W. It's the general pattern in my entire OO Bronze collection. Not sure why, since none of the books were bagged until the mid '80s. My limited buying experience also suggests that early Bronze books with WP can be relatively tough to find.

Are you taking all BA books into consideration, even beaters and readers? If so I would put early BA stuff in the CR/OW category moving into OW/W as the bronze age progresses. What PQ HG slabs have is a pretty poor measure of what's out there. Of course the high grade stuff is going to have nice page quality, but if you look at the average of all BA books I would think it would be substantially lower than OW. High grade collectors might have a skewed perception of average PQ. For every book that has nice OW pages, there are two dozen BA comics in the dollar box to offset that.

If you are just talking about stuff in really desireable, collectable condition, that is a different story....