• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OWW should be WOW

23 posts in this topic

I'd prefer it to remain OWW because it's inferior to a White page grade and shouldn't be associated with an exclamation such as WOW, an acronym which implies there's something extra special about it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Okay, so I guess I understand it somewhat differently.

If there's only one page-quality listed, (such as "WP" or "OW" or "CR", etc.) then the pages are pretty much uniformly nearly the same color.

But if there's two colors listed, like "Off-white to white" (OWW) - to me means that as you look from the periphery of the pages towards the center of the page, the color can vary USUALLY from off-white (at the perimeter) to white (near the center). Same with CROW. So two descriptives to me are describing pq from the perimeter of the page to the center of the page. 

I don't know if that's right or not, but that's how I "order" the pq if there's more than one descriptive used.

YMMV.

32 minutes ago, jcjames said:

But if there's two colors listed, like "Off-white to white" (OWW) - to me means that as you look from the periphery of the pages towards the center of the page, the color can vary USUALLY from off-white (at the perimeter) to white (near the center). Same with CROW. So two descriptives to me are describing pq from the perimeter of the page to the center of the page. 

Yup.  That's the more technical description, compared to mine.  lol

I had that explained to me when I bought my first and only CR-OW underground book from Howard Greber.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I wish they would just go with numeric scale for the color and note whether there is any brittleness.  Brittle or slightly brittle pages doesn't constitute a page color nor does white, ow-w, ow, cr-ow, and so on necessarily invoke a page quality.  In some sense it could but I see page color and quality as two different animals.  Could you not have a better than tan color be brittle as I believe CGC deems if there is any hint of brittleness to the pages of a book, even a very area on one page, say, it gets a SB notation.

My worthless ramblings.

I like to use OWCR, as CROW has such a negative connotation.  Also white isn't good enough for most of my newsstand purchases - they are whitey white.

I think that would be even more confusing. What would a "3" look like? (shrug)

I kinda know what "off-white" and "white" looks like - of course white in a GA or SA may look nothing like white in a BA or CA - it all depends on the original paper color, quality and materials which varied greatly in GA/SA. That's what makes page-color so hard to judge. I think that's why they eventually did away with those OWL cards, too much variability in original paper stock quality.

I don't know if you can have cream or OW and yet still brittle pages. hm

Edited by jcjames

46 minutes ago, telerites said:

I wish they would just go with numeric scale for the color and note whether there is any brittleness.  Brittle or slightly brittle pages doesn't constitute a page color nor does white, ow-w, ow, cr-ow, and so on necessarily invoke a page quality.  In some sense it could but I see page color and quality as two different animals.  Could you not have a better than tan color be brittle as I believe CGC deems if there is any hint of brittleness to the pages of a book, even a very area on one page, say, it gets a SB notation.

My worthless ramblings.

I like the granularity. Every number can correspond to a shade of color. We'll start with the whites

White
Whitesmoke
Snow
Honeydew
Mintcream
Azure
Aliceblue
Ghostwhite
Seashell
Beige
Oldlace
Floralwhite
Ivory
Antiquewhite
Linen
Lavenderblush

18 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

OWW should be WOW

Honestly, white comes first. WOW ftw. Discuss.

This off topic, but WOW reminded me of something my dad told when I was a kid, real young, 10 or younger, he said he knew a woman who had a W tatooed on one butt cheek and a W on the other so that when she bent over it said "WOW".....didn't get till I was much older....

3 minutes ago, JohnFranklin1 said:

This off topic, but WOW reminded me of something my dad told when I was a kid, real young, 10 or younger, he said he knew a woman who had a W tatooed on one butt cheek and a W on the other so that when she bent over it said "WOW".....didn't get till I was much older....

my dad told me the same.

22 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

my dad told me the same.

19 minutes ago, JohnFranklin1 said:

What is your Dad's name? ?

I'm guessing porcupine47.  There's a long, family tradition.

Edited by Ken Aldred

17 hours ago, porcupine48 said:
19 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'm guessing porcupine47.  There's a long, family tradition.

yes..and i'm Jimmers the third.

Another shade of white is porcupine belly.