• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grant Morrison's Happy!

9 posts in this topic

Grant Morrison's Happy!

I noticed that the majority of CGC'd copies by far seem to be the MorrisonCon exclusive, which I'd have thought would be the most collectible/exclusive. However, it seems to be the most CGC'd version, like I say.

There has literally never been a CGC'd version of #1 that isn't at least a variant and the vast majority are con exclusives. The standard edition hasn't been graded.

This strikes me as weird because they're filming a pilot for SyFy right now. I've heard some skepticism about the -script (mainly that it blows a plot twist early) but it seems unlikely to me that SyFy would pass on this with the likely budget for the pilot and Christopher Meloni attached.

Is there some kind of buzz indicating it won't get picked up or will flop? Are people holding onto copies of #1 in Mylar or toploaders, waiting to see how the show performs?

I realize Morrison hasn't had the biggest track record with his stuff getting adapted (I'd have thought Joe the Barbarian or Annhilator would get adapted) but I thought this one looked like a done deal. Do I have fan blinders on?

I've never read the series and Morrison can go real far out there sometimes that it's hard to reel him back from the negative zone. 

How was the series reviewed? I wasn't following moderns much at the time. And it was only a mini? So it would be a one season and done? 

Too many questions for me on this one. MCS has tons of copies too. 

It was a mini. I recall generally positive reviews with some light criticisms. There was nothing confusing here but nothing approaching his more brilliant stuff either.

The show is both truncating and expanding the plot. They spoil the miniseries twist in the pilot.

Basic premise is a crooked cop turned mob hitman gets hired to find a missing girl, fights pedophiles and assorted mafiosos, and is assisted by the abducted girl's imaginary friend, a blue cartoon horse named Happy that only he can see or hear.

The show is being expanded out to a job-of-the-week format. Kind of Quantum Leap meets Roger Rabbit meets Sin City.

As many have noted, the whole thing may hinge on how likable the actor playing the horse is and the animation quality.

On 3/10/2017 at 11:24 PM, PatrickG said:

Grant Morrison's Happy!

I noticed that the majority of CGC'd copies by far seem to be the MorrisonCon exclusive, which I'd have thought would be the most collectible/exclusive. However, it seems to be the most CGC'd version, like I say.

There has literally never been a CGC'd version of #1 that isn't at least a variant and the vast majority are con exclusives. The standard edition hasn't been graded.

Yes it is. Check the registry. My set is the top and I'm only missing 3 books to complete a 9.8 collection and the regular version of #1 isn't one of them