• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Best VueScan Scanner Settings I Could Find (HP 8300)
10 10

30 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

I need to have Adobe Photoshop for work, and I find it terrific for post-scan processing of images.  There are advantages using image processing software over scanner setting adjustments.  Each comic can be customized to look as true as possible to the book in hand, and there are processing features that scanners lack.

That strikes me as time-consuming. Are you pretty proficient with Adobe PS? 

12 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

That strikes me as time-consuming. Are you pretty proficient with Adobe PS? 

Yes, but you don't need to be to optimize comic book scans.  Using the same cheap HP scanner for the past 15 years, I adjust the image size, contrast, brightness, and sometimes the saturation - takes about a minute a scan.  A little more if I have to also rotate the scan to square the book.  Scans of the raw books don't need any image processing other than a quick size adjustment, since they don't have a slab to distort the comics color and brightness.

They come out pretty sweet, and clearly show every defect to prospective buyers:

Avengers93cgc.jpg

Edited by namisgr

On 7/1/2017 at 0:58 PM, namisgr said:

I need to have Adobe Photoshop for work, and I find it terrific for post-scan processing of images.  There are advantages using image processing software over scanner setting adjustments.  Each comic can be customized to look as true as possible to the book in hand, and there are processing features that scanners lack.

I took your advice with Adobe Photoshop. Only a few adjustments needed. Thank you!

slab0001.jpg

I have an HP 8300

Does anyone have any experience using them to scan slides?  If so... care to share?  Ideas on best settings for slides?  1950's color, B&W, 1970's color.   I just checked and I have the slide trays for the scanner. So I believe everything I need is here. I could not find anything on YouTube as far as a manual... 

I have a couple thousand... okay maybe a few thousand family slides that I saved from the garbage.   As a Christmas gift to my mom and Aunt I was thinking of setting up a private Facebook group and organizing all of my grandfather's slides dating back to well... possibly WWII.  I know they wish they could have seen them but they didn't think it was viable.   I figure if I were to dedicate the time to do some here and there each day, I could have a large amount done by Christmas.