• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCS Shipping Costs

21 posts in this topic

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic spike in shipping costs with mycomicshop.com lately?

I typically order from them quite regularly and have never had any issues.  However, last week I started to place an order and when it came to the point to select shipping, the costs for USPS Priority Shipping was $86.88.

For 6 raw books. $86.88.

I thought maybe something had changed for their shipping to APO addresses, and tried a U.S. CONUS address.  Same result.  $86.88 shipping via USPS Priority Mail.

This has to be some sort of error, right?

I reached out to them via email and was told that they had updated to their rates to coincide with recent USPS rate increases.  I politely mentioned that maybe there was an error as $86.88 was simply beyond the pale for 6 raw comic books.  i didn't receive an additional response.

I'm truly hoping that this is some sort of mistake.  Shipping rates of this magnitude would be a serious disincentive to future orders.

Edited by USCMitch

43 minutes ago, USCMitch said:

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic spike in shipping costs with mycomicshop.com lately?

I typically order from them quite regularly and have never had any issues.  However, last week I started to place an order and when it came to the point to select shipping, the costs for USPS Priority Shipping was $86.88.

For 6 raw books. $86.88.

I thought maybe something had changed for their shipping to APO addresses, and tried a U.S. CONUS address.  Same result.  $86.88 shipping via USPS Priority Mail.

This has to be some sort of error, right?

I reached out to them via email and was told that they had updated to their rates to coincide with recent USPS rate increases.  I politely mentioned that maybe there was an error as $86.88 was simply beyond the pale for 6 raw comic books.  i didn't receive an additional response.

I'm truly hoping that this is some sort of mistake.  Shipping rates of this magnitude would be a serious disincentive to future orders.

Please send me a PM with the email address on your account and what you were planning to order, and I'll look into it further. 

Earlier this year there were indeed USPS price increases that we faced, but there may still be some unresolved problem related to some of the software that calculates shipping prices for us. 

That seems pretty steep for 6 raw books. How about $70 for one Cgc book from comiclink to Canada, with no other shipping options available? You win the book in an auction then have to pay $70 for shipping. They used to have a $35 shipping option but now it's just the $70.

18 minutes ago, dhgladiator said:

That seems pretty steep for 6 raw books. How about $70 for one Cgc book from comiclink to Canada, with no other shipping options available? You win the book in an auction then have to pay $70 for shipping. They used to have a $35 shipping option but now it's just the $70.

Yeah, it's very steep.  I'm convinced it has to be a glitch of some sort.  I've never had any other issues with MCS and I'm confident it'll get resolved. It was just a bit of a shock when it changed from week to week.

Comiclink's shipping options are why I will no longer participate in any of their auctions.  I won 1 auction in January and the shipping charges were as much as the book.  It's simply not worth it. And I'm not even in Canada.  

Ten years ago, when £1 was almost worth $2, I could just about eat Clink's overseas shipping cost but those days are long gone. When they updated their website, I stopped looking. Now, with the nosebleed exchange rate and the rip-off Global Shipping Program on ebay my purchases (sadly) are rare. Last year I bought two slabbed books from the US.

MCS shipping has always been exemplary and my first port of call when looking for books and I even use their website to look up data. Well done MCS!

58 minutes ago, USCMitch said:

Yeah, it's very steep.  I'm convinced it has to be a glitch of some sort.  I've never had any other issues with MCS and I'm confident it'll get resolved. It was just a bit of a shock when it changed from week to week.

Comiclink's shipping options are why I will no longer participate in any of their auctions.  I won 1 auction in January and the shipping charges were as much as the book.  It's simply not worth it. And I'm not even in Canada.  

There is no doubt that the MCS is a glitch.  I also no longer bid on ComicLink for  three reasons.  1) The shipping is absurd--you need to win multiple auctions to justify the price. 2) Cannot pay with PayPal.  3) That stupid sticker they put on the slabs.

Someone should start a proxy service in the states, where I can have comiclink or mcs or eBay send my books to them in the states and then have that person send the books to me in Canada, I could save some shipping costs and they could make a percentage of what it costs for the shipping. Any takers?

15 hours ago, dhgladiator said:

Someone should start a proxy service in the states, where I can have comiclink or mcs or eBay send my books to them in the states and then have that person send the books to me in Canada, I could save some shipping costs and they could make a percentage of what it costs for the shipping. Any takers?

+1

for the rest of Europe!

23 hours ago, USCMitch said:

There was indeed a problem, and it should be fixed now. The fix brings your cost for 8 raw books via Priority mail to an APO address down from $80+ to around $24.

Note, this issue only affected rates for USPS Priority and other upgraded shipping methods. Our economy shipping at $4.95 was always available.

I live in Vancouver, Canada.  Luckily, I am close to the border, so I have stuff shipped to a parcel receiving place in Blaine, Washington. Then, I drive down once every couple of months and pick up.  For my own shipping, I use a service called Chit Chat Express, since Canada Post has its head up its .

17 hours ago, RidersRohan said:

I live in Vancouver, Canada.  Luckily, I am close to the border, so I have stuff shipped to a parcel receiving place in Blaine, Washington. Then, I drive down once every couple of months and pick up.  For my own shipping, I use a service called Chit Chat Express, since Canada Post has its head up its .

I also use Chit Chat, but have my parcels sent to Point Roberts. It's handy as heck and a fraction of the cost of Canada Post. And I haven't been stopped once by Canada Customs (most of my buys are below $400), I just have to endure their staring at me as if I'm nuts when I declare I'm only bringing back a few old comics and I paid over $300 for them. One extra skeptical border guard, confused by the invoices I handed him, said, "and the guy you bought these off, his name is Richie Rich?"

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

"and the guy you bought these off, his name is Richie Rich?"

lol

I used to have a box on the other side of the border since we're close as well. When the dollar was par it made sense. I would go once a month with the fiancee and we would get some 'exotic food' (vanilla Coke, certain cereals, you know the good stuff). I gave it up about 4 months ago since the fiancée holds a Western European passport and it is just a nightmare getting through the border these days plus the dollar makes shopping down there pointless.   

All that having been said, Ebay's global shipping program is making me sort of re-think. What a joke that is. I have had to abandon certain sellers that I have been buying from for a long time because they started using it. Not only the price, but the shipping time is sad. I bought two slabs form NY state and they took over 3weeks to arrive.

What is ChitChat ? 

Chit Chats Express is a shipping company based in Ontario and BC that will take your shipments across the border and ship them via USPS. Even with their nominal fee, it is far more affordable than Canada Post (especially if you can use Media Mail) for those shipping regularly to the USA.

You can google them on the interweb to find locations, rate sheet, etc...