• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal 1099/Payment Cards

13 posts in this topic

Paypal 1099/Payment Cards

For the first time, I received a 1099 from Paypal for my personal buying and selling account. The documentation shows that you will receive a 1099 if 1) you receive $20,000 and exceed 200 transactions in a year or 2) accept payment cards for payments. I was no where near the $20,000 limit having received ~$6,000+ for all of 2016. I assume the "accept payment cards" is a new threshold for them to send you a 1099? When did I agree to accept payment cards and how can I change it so that I do not? I have looked through my settings but cannot find anything related to payment cards. I assume if I find and change this setting, I will not receive a 1099 in 2017?

1 hour ago, CKB said:

Not sure where the 2) comes from in your post.

#2 comes directly from the 1099K provided to me by Paypal (it is actually #1 on their form). I clearly did not meet the $20k/200 transaction threshold, but apparently received payments through a "payment card" at some point during the year. I wish to turn off the ability to receive payments through cards and only receive payments from Paypal funds. I can't see a way to do that though. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

I will also be cognizant of this when paying others now. I know I have used a credit card to pay through Paypal when my Paypal balance was not sufficient. If that has triggered a 1099k for others, I am sorry.

Stupid paperwork.

6 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

#2 comes directly from the 1099K provided to me by Paypal (it is actually #1 on their form). I clearly did not meet the $20k/200 transaction threshold, but apparently received payments through a "payment card" at some point during the year. I wish to turn off the ability to receive payments through cards and only receive payments from Paypal funds. I can't see a way to do that though. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

I will also be cognizant of this when paying others now. I know I have used a credit card to pay through Paypal when my Paypal balance was not sufficient. If that has triggered a 1099k for others, I am sorry.

Stupid paperwork.

I'm not exactly sure how PayPal is defining a "payment card", but I would be shocked if there was a way to turn off this ability (assuming "payment card" means credit/debit card).  I always pay with a credit card (might as well take advantage of the free cash back perks), and not once have I not been allowed to do this.  If you're selling on eBay and getting paid through PayPal, I'm certain that this can't be turned off -- if you are accepting PayPal through your own site or board sales, it might be possible but I would be pretty surprised.  

16 hours ago, Action252Kid said:

I always pay with a credit card (might as well take advantage of the free cash back perks),

I thought PayPal put the 2-3% credit card fee on the buyer when you checked out. It's hard to find a cash back rewards program that offers 3+%.

2 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:
16 hours ago, Action252Kid said:

I always pay with a credit card (might as well take advantage of the free cash back perks),

I thought PayPal put the 2-3% credit card fee on the buyer when you checked out. It's hard to find a cash back rewards program that offers 3+%.

The seller eats it if it is a business transaction, not the buyer.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

The seller eats it if it is a business transaction, not the buyer.

OK, I thought they stuck the buyer with the credit card charge to encourage using PayPal funds or bank transfers.

As someone who does a lot of contract and consulting work every year I receive 1099's after I have filed my taxes (as late as June! despite the law).  After 15 years of this I stopped stressing about it and simply file them unreported with the rest of the tax info in case one day I get selected for an audit.  I am not making light of properly doing your taxes as that would be a legal concern, but it is what it is.

This is a good post as I was thinking of posting something similar. 

I would have to double check my numbers but I'm pretty sure I exceeded your $6000 through Paypal. I know for certain I did not exceed $20,000. 

I'm curious did you have more than 200 transactions? I only had several dozen for hundreds of dollars each.