• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing painted art

27 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2017 at 7:43 AM, vodou said:

If you're stacking them in any way, use sheets of wax paper or similar to separate the pieces and protect the image area from scratches. After that you can just throw a big garbage bag over a stack to protect against moisture and pipe bursts etc (depending on what you've got them near!) If you think you need to flip through them regularly like you would an Itoya, just find a really big Itoya or substitute from an art supply store (Michael's, Blick, Hobby Lobby). There are plenty of big solutions, but they do start getting pricey larger than 18x24. Or maybe frame the keepers? Some people do that too ;)

My painting is a watercolor - I believe, and not large.  Are you saying an Itoya would provide safe storage?  Obviously, when closed and laid flat, the plastic of the Itoya sleeve will be in contact with the painting - but maybe this is ok?

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Key word "seems". I too think the art should be out and enjoyed and let future generations deal with their issues in...the future. But the same way your kid grows a couple of inches a year, why you hardly notice, but then all of a sudden he's a foot taller than 'ol Dad, and only 16 too...twenty years is a long memory to "trust"! (Which means you can't!!) Open up the frame and find an area that was unexposed (under the frame), I'm sure it's noticeably brighter and deeper colors...most likely anyway, just the way it works. But you may also have gotten lucky ;)

That is a very good point, and a way of looking at it I had not thought of.

Sometimes I think about what my Dad told me many times over the years: "A collector is always fighting something.  Fires, floods, silverfish, thieves..."  and so on.  There have been many times when I have thought I would have less stress, and less to worry about by just selling out.  But this blasted hobby is just so much fun, it's hard to get out of your blood.  :bigsmile:

1 hour ago, Flambit said:

My painting is a watercolor - I believe, and not large.  Are you saying an Itoya would provide safe storage?  Obviously, when closed and laid flat, the plastic of the Itoya sleeve will be in contact with the painting - but maybe this is ok?

Short term, yes. But understand any moisture/dampness or heat will make that plastic want to 'stick' to your watercolor. To varying degrees of course. If you have perfect climate control 24/7/365, all good, but if not...not a very good idea.

1 hour ago, Flambit said:

How thick is the board?   Most paintings are on much thicker board and in a portfolio I find they smash around like a rock in a sock.

A storage box is best IMO.

Edited by Bronty

19 hours ago, Bronty said:

How thick is the board?   Most paintings are on much thicker board and in a portfolio I find they smash around like a rock in a sock.

A storage box is best IMO.

I actually don't yet have it in my possession, but Bristol board, I believe.   

It's an Alex Ross piece, so it's typical for his work... he generally does watercolor on bristol, right?  I know I should know this..... 

Edited by Flambit
Clarification

19 hours ago, vodou said:

Short term, yes. But understand any moisture/dampness or heat will make that plastic want to 'stick' to your watercolor. To varying degrees of course. If you have perfect climate control 24/7/365, all good, but if not...not a very good idea.

Understood.  I keep my Itoyas/art in a safe in a room where the temp is mild, although not under a strict climate control